Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Missing out by not trying HKS loaders, and only using Comp I's?

Missing out by not trying HKS loaders, and only using Comp I's?

Am I missing out on anything by only using Safariland Comp I's in my J-frames.... Should I give HKS loaders a try? I've had good luck with the Comp I's, and have a small pile of them around. HKS loaders can be had for around the same price, but I've never tried them.

What is prompting this post, is thoughts of buying a .32 caliber version of the new Lipsesy's UC revolvers. I like the .38 version a lot so far, but I'm thinking I will eventually also purchase a .32 version. Comp I's are not currently available for the .32 (Is anyone at Safariland listening right now?). So I'd likely have to give HKS my business, and learn how to use them, if I buy a .32. I am wondering if I should just bite the bullet and get a couple .38 HKS to get used to them now. I know they are essentially "the standard" when it comes to speed loaders, and I feel like I should really learn to use them.

I know there are other options out there for both calibers, but these two are the most common, and most affordable options that actually work. Not really wanting to turn this into a broad speed loader discussion, as much as making sure I'm not missing out on something.

After having an issued Safariland loader jam and fail to release rounds back in the academy, I strongly prefer HKS. When I was shooting bowling pins with a 629 I did use a Safariland as it holds the rounds more rigid allowing a smoother reload.

I just picked up my 632 UC this afternoon. I already bought an HKS loader for it. My shipment from Lost River should be here Friday and hopefully I’ll get a chance to try the loader

The only problem I've had with the Comp I's is something (I suspect my Classic SD swiss army knife) working its way into the middle of the loader in my pocket and dumping the rounds by depressing the center stud/button. My fault for carrying other crap in the same pocket loose with the loader.

We all have our own experiences but, for me, HKS is the inferior choice in every way except availability in certain formats like the .32. They are slower, fiddlier, and prone to accidental release unless carried in a pouch. Push release generally trumps twist release. In my opinion anyways: spring push > gravity push > gravity twist > strips (though strips have the advantage of easiest carry. Pick your poison).

FWIW, Revolver Guy's testing of various options (which is pretty similar to my experience on the timer minus my never having even laid eyes on an SL Variant):

https://revolverguy.com/what-is-the-...r-speedloader/

Acting under adrenaline dump, etc, I would only have limited faith in an HKS and might even prefer a speed strip.
    no one sees what's written on the spine of his own autobiography.

I agree with the idea of buy a couple and learn to use both, it is a very individual thing with these devices and what works best for you. Both are good products in my view. And not that expensive.
    Support the Second Amendment Foundation and the Firearms Policy Coalition, join and give!

Site Supporter
    I have a supremely strong preference to push loaders and loath twisties. Speedbees is supposed to be working on a .32J loader, and I'd wait for that personally.

I loath twisties enough to prefer strips over them.

Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    Speedbees is supposed to be working on a .32J loader, and I'd wait for that personally.

I loath twisties enough to prefer strips over them.
    I'll definitely pick up a Speedbeez kit when they're available. I just bought a bundle deal with the HKS .32-J, 2 speed strips, and A-Zoom snap caps.
    Participation does not equal Proficiency
    - Mike Pannone

Site Supporter
    I've got a bunch of K and L frame Comp IIs and love them, they're what I use for carry. I've got several J frame Comp Is and have had poor luck with them; some of them work normally and others require stupid amounts of pressure to release the cartridges. I've gone to HKS for the J frames. I use the old Ted Blocker wire clips for the J frame (and N frame too) HKS speedloaders, they were apparently designed for them.

I've got enough experience with both types that switching between them is no big deal.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

I carried an S&W model 28 Highway Patrolman .357 Magnum on patrol in the 80s. I used HKS speedloaders and never had an issue.

I currently carry a Ruger LCR .327 Magnum and use HKS speedloaders, loose in my pocket, and haven't had a problem yet in the year I've been carrying the LCR.

I started out with HKS, I've ingrained the motor program to use them, and and I'm comfortable with them.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    I've got a bunch of K and L frame Comp IIs and love them, they're what I use for carry. I've got several J frame Comp Is and have had poor luck with them; some of them work normally and others require stupid amounts of pressure to release the cartridges. I've gone to HKS for the J frames. I use the old Ted Blocker wire clips for the J frame (and N frame too) HKS speedloaders, they were apparently designed for them.

I've got enough experience with both types that switching between them is no big deal.
    I used those Blocker holders when I’d carry my then issued Security Six or personal GP100 off duty (in a Bianchi Pistol Pocket)

User Tag List