Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I need a 30-30

I used to have a Stevens 325, the predecessor to the Savage 340. The action was kinda stiff and sluggish, not surprising because it was supposed to be a budget hunting rifle. Not sure if the 340 is better, might be.

I found a Savage 99 in .30-30 a few years ago but didn't have the funds at the time for another .30-30. Probably should have put it on layaway. Well, letting it go was probably the smart move because I don't need it and I don't hand load yet but why should I let logic stop me?
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Or should I sell my components? I'm trying to ramp up getting stuff for my kids since the price of stuff is getting silly.

I'm think a Savage bolt gun
    . I can use up my left over bullets then utilize the same 308 bullets my other .30 use.

I have a bunch of 125gr Sierras on Hans and 140gr Barnes.

Then maybe pick up another lever down the road?

How are the savage bolt guns? I've always kinda liked them but never owned one. I could also get a spare stock and cut it down as the youth deer gun.

Have you considered a Remington 788 in 30-30?

The Savages arent as svelte looking as most bolt actions in general, though they seem to have been moderately popular in their day. The 788s had a reputation for pretty decent accuracy, though I dont know of anyone that had one in 30-30, just 308, 223 and 243.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

You could consider a break open 30-30 for your son.

30/30

My advice is find a nicely used pre war model 64 standard. Add an aperture (lyman 66) and a sourdough front sight.(eBay).
    Probably the finest lever action 30/30 ever made. They are slim add delightful to handle. Trigger pulls are like a bolt action.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    One of my old friends bought his .30-30 Savage 340 sometime in the mid-1960s because he:

a. wanted something fairly easily scoped
    b. had a hankering to try handloading spitzer bullets in the cartridge.

He is still hunting, and still uses that 340 on occasion; it has always gotten high praise from him for its accuracy (something which I initially doubted). It is no beauty pageant winner, but it has been a very good utility rifle.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Quote Originally Posted by gato naranja View Post
    One of my old friends bought his .30-30 Savage 340 sometime in the mid-1960s because he:

a. wanted something fairly easily scoped
    b. had a hankering to try handloading spitzer bullets in the cartridge.

He is still hunting, and still uses that 340 on occasion; it has always gotten high praise from him for its accuracy (something which I initially doubted). It is no beauty pageant winner, but it has been a very good utility rifle.
    Ken Waters had high praise for the 340.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Site Supporter
    I owned a Savage 340 until recently. I used it to shoot cast bullets. These are nice little rifles made of stampings and designed to be made at low cost. If scoped, the scope requires a side mount, and the scope is offset. It does not sit above the center of the bore. Any parts must be bought from a used parts vendor. Replacement mags are expensive.

Savage's current rifle line is excellent. My two served nicely.

Mossberg offers a 30-30 lever rifle. I never fired one but can report that a couple of my correspondents praise them. I liked the ones that I examined.

User Tag List