Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Pistol-trainings take

I agree with SLGs article

But this is one of those things that is all personal preference. What you are doing and where you are going dictates what is worn.

Everything else is just a silly discussion. The whole flip flop thing is comical.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay585 View Post
    @SouthNarc used to have a great thread on a similar topic over at his forum TPI.

I think it was "Building Bruce Wayne" or something like that. It was more NPE office-type dressing, but still as a "regular" blue collar guy it had great info in it.
    I'd say the Phlster Concealment Workshop is the new resource for dressing like an adult while concealing: https://www.facebook.com/groups/139735863409843/
    "Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

Forget Kilt in Da Streetz- flip flops inevitably give me plantar fasciitis.

I tend to go with Tevas for that situation- and I can run if needed in those bad boys.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    He's right.
    Somewhat.

I've seen SLG and his CCW methods in person, and it was not what I'd consider effective concealment. It was pretty obvious he had a gun shoved down the front of his pants, and printed badly.

"Good enough for gov", but I don't think it was so impressive as to warrant an article belittling others....regardless of his accomplishments (both professionally and in terms of truly excellent shooting performance). Following what @Noah wrote, I'd go so far to say that he would've been fired several times in his life if he carried like that if he weren't a LEO and were instead working at private companies with no-guns policy.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    emphasis added.

How any self-respecting individual with the slightest tactical acumen can walk around in flip-flops in public I will never understand.
    When I'm out safeguarding my fiance's freedom of religion, I accompany her in traditional religious attire for her community...generally, a linen shirt, gold-bordered cotton towel around the waist, and sandals as removing footwear is mandatory and may be done several times at the venue.

Limitations? Yes. But in the summarized words of Claude Werner, go out and enjoy life.
    Last edited by TGS; 04-21-2024 at 07:09 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    ....his CCW methods in person, and it was not what I'd consider effective concealment. It was pretty obvious he had a gun shoved down the front of his pants, and printed badly.
    Possibly where we first met. I recall thinking there where a bunch of dudes who claimed to be good at concealment, that were not.
    Participation does not equal Proficiency
    - Mike Pannone

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    That is one of the best threads in TPI. Headhunter started it.
    He also ended it, IMHO.

I won’t tell cops how to wear their cop shit around; I expect them not to lecture me on my work/tool intersection, unless I ask for the advice. Unless they catch me breaking the law, of course. Otherwise, per CW/Headhunter.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Somewhat.

I've seen SLG and his CCW methods in person, and it was not what I'd consider effective concealment. It was pretty obvious he had a gun shoved down the front of his pants, and printed badly.

"Good enough for gov", but I don't think it was so impressive as to warrant an article belittling others....regardless of his accomplishments (both professionally and in terms of truly excellent shooting performance). Following what @Noah wrote, I'd go so far to say that he would've been fired several times in his life if he carried like that if he weren't a LEO and were instead working at private companies with no-guns policy.

When I'm out safeguarding my fiance's freedom of religion, I accompany her in traditional religious attire for her community...generally, a linen shirt, gold-bordered cotton towel around the waist, and sandals as removing footwear is mandatory and may be done several times at the venue.

Limitations? Yes. But in the summarized words of Claude Werner, go out and enjoy life.
    Not knowing SLG, I'll take your word for it. I can't speak to him or his habits. That being said, in my mind it was more of a "if you want to be taken seriously look.like it." I agree with that particular nugget. If there was deeper subtext, to be honest, I didn't really give enough of a shit to explore it. Interesting observations from you though, thanks for that, seriously.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Site Supporter
    I spent 10 years carrying daily in various NPEs.

Carrying 5 days/week all day around the same people presents unique challenges. The women in the office will notice anything out of place to a much greater degree than men. They will gossip about it until they figure out why it is out of place.

Planning must take into account using the restroom, where you might be standing or sitting and what someone might see, how to quickly and discreetly secure the gun store going someplace where the gun is illegal, what happens if it is hotter or colder than you expect, etc.

Think you are just going to hide a gun under your suit jacket? I was once ordered to remove my jacket for a client meeting where the senior partner thought it was overly-formal for that client. Did you plan for that?

I once had a department chair place his hand on my back, about 2 inches from the butt of my gun. Have you considered where you may come in physical contact with someone?

NPE carry is a separate skill set. There are many people who I would happily pay to teach me how to shoot better or perhaps teach me better tactics, but who have no real understanding of this particular skill set.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Almost no LE folks I’m acquainted with conceal to a level I’d be comfortable with, whether on or off duty. I generally don’t listen to fellow LE folks when it comes to taking concealment advice.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

One big one for those of us who attend churches in the South is that you will get hugged on a regular basis.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

User Tag List