Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Pistol-trainings take

Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    Almost no LE folks I’m acquainted with conceal to a level I’d be comfortable with, whether on or off duty. I generally don’t listen to fellow LE folks when it comes to taking concealment advice.
    Agreed. I don't know how many times I've seen skin tight t-shirts stretched over Glocks for "concealment". Some of the concealment methods I see feds use on a daily basis is an equal measure of comedy and tragedy.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    One big one for those of us who attend churches in the South is that you will get hugged on a regular basis.
    Wouldn’t that crowd be more upset if they found out you weren’t carrying?

Site Supporter
    I have posted all of the points below previously:

1. Quality Purpose Designed Holster.

2. Quality Purpose Designed Belt.

3. Vetted, Reliable Pistol.

4. Shoes that you can run and fight in as needed.

It really is not that hard.

In most places, most of the time, concealed means concealed, it does not mean invisible to the trained eye at 1 meter.

LEO CCW v Non LEO CCW v Cultural NPE may be 3 distinct levels of concealment/access but the CORE FOUR above still drive the train.
    Last edited by vcdgrips; 04-22-2024 at 07:58 AM.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Some of the concealment methods I see feds use on a daily basis is an equal measure of comedy and tragedy.
    It’s sad, to say the least. ALS paddle holsters under polos, bulky leather thumb breaks peaking out from under t-shirts, etc. Squared-away FAMS and (other) UCs are the only feds (the only LEOs, really) I’d listen to for advice on concealment.

I was just working a large, crowded event, and I saw plainclothed state troopers walking through crowds with shirts tucked behind their P365s, exposing the guns. No active retention on the holsters, either.

Those who “conceal” carelessly with a huge gun tumor or casually expose the gun like that have probably never really considered that someday someone might really fight them for that gun, and that the opening of that interaction might be a brick to the head.

I guess one of the benefits of growing wiser with age, (occasionally), is the ability to walk in the other direction when I see folks who make obvious, (and occasionally alarming), poor choices in both what and how they carry.

I do not engage, give advice or let it ruin my day.

I don't always sally forth with the optimal loadout for any possible encounter, but generally at least minimally sufficient to meet expected threats such as wayward dogs and maniacal deliverymen or neighbors.

My approach is much more respectable when I dress to go to the supermarket or anytime I enter my vehicle to go somewhere where a five shot J frame would get me killed in the aisles.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Re: situational awareness and "concealment".

Got kids/grandkids around? The small ones tend to jump on, crawl on or otherwise be all over you. At least you hope they care that much about you! And they are wildly curious. So any jingle in the pocket, lump on your waist or anything else out of the ordinary bears investigation. Be prepared for the pat down. And they will, immediately. So concealment becomes more than covering up.

Meeting Mom and kids, Aunt Mary with nieces/nephews, etc. at the mall? Better be prepared for the run and hug, followed by "WHAT"S THAT?".

It's doable.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Français View Post
    It’s sad, to say the least. ALS paddle holsters under polos, bulky leather thumb breaks peaking out from under t-shirts, etc. Squared-away FAMS and (other) UCs are the only feds (the only LEOs, really) I’d listen to for advice on concealment.

I was just working a large, crowded event, and I saw plainclothed state troopers walking through crowds with shirts tucked behind their P365s, exposing the guns. No active retention on the holsters, either.

Those who “conceal” carelessly with a huge gun tumor or casually expose the gun like that have probably never really considered that someday someone might really fight them for that gun, and that the opening of that interaction might be a brick to the head.
    I've seen two attitudes that contribute to that among LE. The first is the "I've got a badge and no one's going to f*** with me." We know that's not true and never has been. The second is just a general state of apathy, in just really not giving it any thought.

I'm with blues in that I'm at the stage in my life where none of this is my problem any longer. No longer my monkeys or my circus. I just shake my head and carry on. If I spot someone with a gun, even openly carrying, I'll be the only one in the group who even notices.

I give more concern to people's driving habits, as that's much more likely to effect my day.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by flyrodr View Post
    Re: situational awareness and "concealment".

Got kids/grandkids around? The small ones tend to jump on, crawl on or otherwise be all over you. At least you hope they care that much about you! And they are wildly curious. So any jingle in the pocket, lump on your waist or anything else out of the ordinary bears investigation. Be prepared for the pat down. And they will, immediately. So concealment becomes more than covering up.

Meeting Mom and kids, Aunt Mary with nieces/nephews, etc. at the mall? Better be prepared for the run and hug, followed by "WHAT"S THAT?".

It's doable.
    I was in the “anyone who doesn’t carry a full size gun with with a dot and light is just compromising” camp until I had kids.

Completely changed my definitions of both acceptable comfort and acceptable concealment.

Last edited by 41magfan; 04-22-2024 at 09:19 AM.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

I know a few who were into the "carry thing" and keeping up with forum trends and rockin the big iron all the time and then it got old and they don't carry or it is in the car now. Carrying a g42 or a J or two was silly it was either all or nothin. Cause split times with a J would allow the BG to pretty much heal between shots.....

User Tag List