Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Pistol-trainings take

Site Supporter
    Upthread the "Building Bruce Wayne" thread from TPI was mentioned. That thread was, as best I can tell, the first place where TLG started to really understand true NPE carry. Unfortunately I had not realized until after he died that I had trained with him at the NRA Range in the late 1990's. Based on my experience with him, he really was a great instructor. I regret having missed other chances to train with him.

SLG is also among the people I would happily pay to teach me how to shoot better, teach me better tactics, etc.

NPE carry is an issue on which I insist on the best and am not willing to compromise. As Totem Polar pointed out upthread, the consequences of getting caught are significant (for many professionals the cost will be multiples of six figures in income). The acceptable risk of getting caught is essentially zero.

For the 10 years in which I carried in these environments, I was fortunate not to work for anyone with an explicit no guns policy. Two of my employers performed background checks before hiring me and clearly knew about my concealed handgun licenses. Still, I assume that getting caught carrying a gun would not have had a positive impact on my career. Another employer had no written policies, knew I was into shooting, expressed disapproval of guns in general, but gave me no instructions one way or the other. Again, getting caught would not have been good.

The number of ways to get caught in a daily NPE vastly exceeds the number of ways to get caught at the local shopping mall. Understanding all of those ways requires having lived it.

Just as SLG is not willing to see people accept less than the best, I am unwilling to see people given bad advice when their jobs or careers could be on the line.

If someone disagrees with me on this, I will happily debate them with appropriate respect for their own expertise. TLG has debated me on this on TPI, and I believe he would attest to that if he were able to do so. However, I will respectfully submit that those of us who have lived the NPE reality for a period of years are the experts in that aspect of concealed carry.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

This long quote from SLG adds all the context needed to cover all concerns I should think.

“ Having said that, there is a good reason for civilians to carry a smaller pistol, more deeply concealed. It has nothing to do with how you dress. It has everything to do with retaining your weapon. An undiscovered weapon is a safer weapon. Internet nonsense aside, a sub-second draw is not what you want or need to protect yourself against street criminals. Timing beats speed every day of the week. I would happily trade a bit of draw speed for more weapons security. ”
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

@JHC

Joe we need an entry on kilt carry, to avoid being kilt off the fairway.

Do you go for the full package to impress, or the hideaway? Is that a kebbie under your kilt or are you just happy so see me?

There's nothing civil about this war.

Having spent time with both SLG and TLG, while both could be described as “intense”, neither would refer to others as “peasants” simply because they didn’t rise to their level of dedication to the art of concealed carry. Like so many others I respect out there, I am always happy to get a bit of insight into their thoughts whether I agree with every aspect or not. I think there’s people out there that would disagree that a da/sa gun isn’t as great as Ernest Langdon does but I doubt there’s anyone who after speaking to him and watching him shoot that he’s somehow incorrect. I saw a post the other day from another well known trainer about micro-pistols. I don’t agree with him but the points he made aren’t wrong. Sometimes that’s more of the point. Not always who is right, but are they really wrong?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    @JHC

Do you go for the full package to impress, or the hideaway? Is that a kebbie under your kilt or are you just happy so see me?

The 5.11 tactical duty kilts have good pocket holster pockets, plus big cargo pockets for all the other stuff you have to have with you, lest you be killed in the streets.

A sporran is just a fancy fanny pack. Mine seems to be average sized, after a quick google image search, and it will not close on a G26 in a pocket holster. More traditional kilts don't have pockets, so you need a place for the rest of your pocket contents as well.

Trade your clinch pick for a sgian dubh and you're in business!

Paging @Trooper224 to the thread for sword recommendations...
    'Nobody ever called the fire department because they did something intelligent'

What does it mean to dress like an adult, and why is that something I should care about? What if I dress like a slob, and can thus get away with carrying an even larger handgun, is that a worthy trade-off?

And I'm also curious, what about dressing like an adult as a woman? How many professional outfits would be conducive to carrying a "full-size iron"? I don't think any of the Tenicor belts would go well with most professional/fashionable female outfits in general (I would even argue that holds true with most male professional outfits).

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    @JHC

The utility/sport kilts are a piece of cake. My Indonesian sarongs are tricky though.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by TQP View Post
    The 5.11 tactical duty kilts have good pocket holster pockets, plus big cargo pockets for all the other stuff you have to have with you, lest you be killed in the streets.

A sporran is just a fancy fanny pack. Mine seems to be average sized, after a quick google image search, and it will not close on a G26 in a pocket holster. More traditional kilts don't have pockets, so you need a place for the rest of your pocket contents as well.

Trade your clinch pick for a sgian dubh and you're in business!

Paging @Trooper224 to the thread for sword recommendations...
    Damn’near Kilt’em is my brand. Got five of them now. Name:  IMG_0275.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  59.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Damn’near Kilt’em is my brand. Got five of them now. Name:  IMG_0275.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  59.4 KB

Never saw Yukon in the summer before. Learn something new every day.

”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    What does it mean to dress like an adult, and why is that something I should care about? What if I dress like a slob, and can thus get away with carrying an even larger handgun, is that a worthy trade-off?

And I'm also curious, what about dressing like an adult as a woman? How many professional outfits would be conducive to carrying a "full-size iron"? I don't think any of the Tenicor belts would go well with most professional/fashionable female outfits in general (I would even argue that holds true with most male professional outfits).
    Pre pandemic, I was making an effort to dress more like a grownup, but that went out the window with the pandemic. At work I wear a uniform, and could probably AIWB my G21 without anyone noticing, except it's a NPE of the 'go to prison' kind.

Is there any gun belt out there that doesn't scream gun belt if anyone is paying attention? Are any of the biothane belts pretty enough to pass for leather?

This is where I'm at now. Except I prefer the Tractor Supply jeans...
    https://youtube.com/shorts/qqSo1hgss...g_srROl8j2Entq

I don't know why the video didn't embed. Probably just as well, in the interest of keeping this thread from going completely off the rails.

Rerail attempt: I can't even imagine how hard it would be for a woman to carry in professional attire and NOT get made. As Glenn said upthread, any little thing will attract attention, and you can bet the women are getting even more intense scrutiny than the men.
    Last edited by TQP; 04-22-2024 at 06:49 PM.
    'Nobody ever called the fire department because they did something intelligent'

User Tag List