Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Pistol-trainings take

How many of you negatively responding have read his whole blog post? He discusses getting an Enigma for himself and his wife.

Quote Originally Posted by TQP View Post
    Are any of the biothane belts pretty enough to pass for leather?
    God, no.

Anyone who tells you otherwise also probably still wears their patent-leather corframs on weekends.

There's certainly plenty of leather options, though. The Kore gunbelts work as well, though they're fairly weak and benefit greatly from perry suspenders.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    *caveat* I was shooting next to @SLG at the 2024 TacCon one-handed clinic with Tim Herron, had no other context besides the fitted long-sleeve P-T shirt, high level shooting performance, and pondering the name on the name-tag versus who I might be able to associate with a user-name. From a sheer politeness level to a stranger, SLG was a professional, and as a technical shooter - he expended 5+ mags of ammo doing the same drills as everyone else. Not out of lack of trying, but because he was simply that proficient, bored, and may as well send the ammo while everyone else is sending ammo too. His one-hand shooting is better than a vast majority of people's 2 hand shooting.

That said:

It might be the that bit of bias, but I read the article as "you can carry as big as you need - and here's my use case" and then it's followed with "and small guns are great for a ton of people too who don't fit my use case."

I didn't interpret the article as saying you should carry the biggest thing and dress around it.

I did interpret it as "I bought a thing for my wife, it worked better than what I used to use, here's some benefits", but I'd imagine most folks up in arms over this article made it about 2.5-3.5 paragraphs into the article before taking a personal offense to it for some reason.

Context and reason was provided. Nothing said you had to fit the mold. I still carry a revolver for most of my life.

No, I never met SLG before TacCon 2024. It was for a brief moment, and we were on different relays focused on what was being taught. The biggest thing I caught from his shooting was actually his glasses, and how the temples were shaped to minimize interaction with over-ear hearing protection. The rest was above my skill level, and there wasn't time to write notes from him and T. Herron on the same subject at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Noah View Post
    I was in the “anyone who doesn’t carry a full size gun with with a dot and light is just compromising” camp until I had kids.

Completely changed my definitions of both acceptable comfort and acceptable concealment.
    My carry habits mostly didn't change, honestly. I had the gun talk with my kids at a very young age... including all the "No guns sign, dad, you can't carry your gun in here!" type stuff. They have always known I carry, not to fidget with my guns, or point them out or talk about them with other people. I wasn't concealing my guns from my children, I was concealing them from everyone else. I'm not saying nothing ever changed, but generally I still carried the same guns the same ways as I did before kids.

If anything, I'm more inclined to carry a bigger more capable gun if my kids are around. I never go to the school to pick up my daughter with only a J-frame in my pocket... its always the bigger RMR'd Glock. Why? Because God forbid I'm the guy who's there when someone decides to shoot up a school, I want the most effective gun in my holster. Paranoid? Crazy? I don't think so.

Five minute run to the store to grab some screws on a Sunday afternoon?... I may very well be only packing a J and a speed strip, if I happen to not be wearing my usual stuff, crawling around under a vehicle or something.

Everyone makes their own assesments and choices. One incontrovertible fact is that in most cases a bigger gun (better sights, more ammo, not necessarily caliber) delivers better results. Bigger isn't always possible, depending on circumstances and your choices. The second incontrovertible fact is that you "run what you brung" ...

I won't try to tell anyone they are "doing it wrong"... I will try to persuade them to consider the consequences of their choices. I'd much rather someone pack a small gun... than no gun at all.

Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    *caveat* I was shooting next to @SLG at the 2024 TacCon one-handed clinic with Tim Herron, had no other context besides the fitted long-sleeve P-T shirt, high level shooting performance, and pondering the name on the name-tag versus who I might be able to associate with a user-name. From a sheer politeness level to a stranger, SLG was a professional, and as a technical shooter - he expended 5+ mags of ammo doing the same drills as everyone else. Not out of lack of trying, but because he was simply that proficient, bored, and may as well send the ammo while everyone else is sending ammo too. His one-hand shooting is better than a vast majority of people's 2 hand shooting.

That said:

It might be the that bit of bias, but I read the article as "you can carry as big as you need - and here's my use case" and then it's followed with "and small guns are great for a ton of people too who don't fit my use case."

I didn't interpret the article as saying you should carry the biggest thing and dress around it.

I did interpret it as "I bought a thing for my wife, it worked better than what I used to use, here's some benefits", but I'd imagine most folks up in arms over this article made it about 2.5-3.5 paragraphs into the article before taking a personal offense to it for some reason.

Context and reason was provided. Nothing said you had to fit the mold. I still carry a revolver for most of my life.

No, I never met SLG before TacCon 2024. It was for a brief moment, and we were on different relays focused on what was being taught. The biggest thing I caught from his shooting was actually his glasses, and how the temples were shaped to minimize interaction with over-ear hearing protection. The rest was above my skill level, and there wasn't time to write notes from him and T. Herron on the same subject at the same time.
    Thats because you actually read it. It's ironic because some of the posts in this thread are what caused many SME to leave. Commenting without fully reading or understanding what the thread has discussed or is even about.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    Thats because you actually read it. It's ironic because some of the posts in this thread are what caused many SME to leave. Commenting without fully reading or understanding what the thread has discussed or is even about.
    I've been guilty of doing the same in the past. Hopefully time has helped in that respect.

Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    I've been guilty of doing the same in the past. Hopefully time has helped in that respect.
    I have as well. It's unfortunate because I probably contributed to some of the frustration over the years. I miss the days where bloke, slg, and Gabe white would comment in the same thread or on the same day with some nugget of wisdom

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by WDR View Post
    My carry habits mostly didn't change, honestly. I had the gun talk with my kids at a very young age... including all the "No guns sign, dad, you can't carry your gun in here!" type stuff. They have always known I carry, not to fidget with my guns, or point them out or talk about them with other people. I wasn't concealing my guns from my children, I was concealing them from everyone else. I'm not saying nothing ever changed, but generally I still carried the same guns the same ways as I did before kids.

If anything, I'm more inclined to carry a bigger more capable gun if my kids are around. I never go to the school to pick up my daughter with only a J-frame in my pocket... its always the bigger RMR'd Glock. Why? Because God forbid I'm the guy who's there when someone decides to shoot up a school, I want the most effective gun in my holster. Paranoid? Crazy? I don't think so.

Five minute run to the store to grab some screws on a Sunday afternoon?... I may very well be only packing a J and a speed strip, if I happen to not be wearing my usual stuff, crawling around under a vehicle or something.

Everyone makes their own assesments and choices. One incontrovertible fact is that in most cases a bigger gun (better sights, more ammo, not necessarily caliber) delivers better results. Bigger isn't always possible, depending on circumstances and your choices. The second incontrovertible fact is that you "run what you brung" ...

I won't try to tell anyone they are "doing it wrong"... I will try to persuade them to consider the consequences of their choices. I'd much rather someone pack a small gun... than no gun at all.
    Oh I didn’t mean I’m trying to conceal from the kids specifically- just mean that my lifestyle habits and attentions have changed drastically. I used to carry a full size gun with a light and dot and tee shirts and could conceal it fine because I could control my posture, be careful with my shirt in the wind etc and therefore found it comfy and concealed.

Chasing kids, my concealment has to be more effortless and a TLR1 begins to be a pain when laying on the floor or helping my daughter on a swingset.

Being armed is, like you said, MORE important to me with kids, and even my “more concealed/more comfortable” choices are ones that I am comfortable with my capability with. I am happy with how well I can shoot with the 43X, or I wouldn’t be carrying it. At the same time, the consequences of dealing with being made in a legal or cultural NPE would also be more of a hassle and I simply am more likely to get made when dealing with kids than not- kid you’re holding accidentally pulls my shirt up or is literally sitting on the ledge of the butt of my gun, lots of different movement etc.

For reference my kids are 2 and 11 months- very “hands on”.

Site Supporter
    I have as well. It's unfortunate because I probably contributed to some of the frustration over the years. I miss the days where bloke, slg, and Gabe white would comment in the same thread or on the same day with some nugget of wisdom
    Listening to Bolke and Cagle explain a concept, watching national champion shooters and concelment/contextual experts shank the exercise, then get a further deep dive, piecing that together with info from Erick G., Bryan E., Chuck H., and see how it all intertwined with other folks from a non-LE/.mil perspective was honestly one of the best things of TacCon.

I'm going to try and do completely non-firearm stuff at the 2025 TacCon and compare notes to the 2024 firearm focused TacCon notes.

Thats because you actually read it.
    Just because people don't agree fully with what your sensei wrote (or the manner in which it was conveyed) doesn't mean they didn't read it.

Your attitude is a mirror image of how people seem to be interpreting the attitude in the blog post, however.

Kind of funny, really.

Most of the SMEs who came on this site and left for not feeling worshipped were a bunch of fucking narcissist cunts that wanted attention from the peanut gallery because they couldn't get it in their own professional community, so....I'm not really feeling a loss on that one. Literally none of the titled SMEs were substantive contributors to the information sharing on the forum.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List