Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Pistol-trainings take

Site Supporter
    [Tangent off topic for the thread, removed.]

A quick, true NPE anecdote: I’ve been made at work while carrying a clinch pick under an untucked t-shirt. If one is in *any* sort of position where they are in front of others in a leadership capacity on a daily and weekly basis, smart people will eventually see everything. No shit, one of my students pointedly and privately asked me about it on the way to an off-campus venue. Fortunately, #1, he was from a conservative-leaning home school family, and #2, I ended up resigning that position, so I don’t particularly give a shit.

That wasn’t the only time that I’ve been made, though …with a fucking clinch pick. My then-high school age goddaughter was once taken aback at a family gathering by my CP, because her metal-trimmed purse clacked against the handle bulb—under my t-shirt—while giving me a hug. This eventually became water under the bridge as she matured and sharp things came up under later conversation, so not a big deal, but it still gives me pause for thought. For the record, I carried CPs completely covered (I can get away with untucked shirts daily, because, “artist”), *under* the belt wrapped in a DSG sheath: the only thing exposed is the egg handle.

I’ll let people think about that. *True* NPE means serious, serious need for concealment. Concealment, like cover, is an exhaustible resource. The more you are around the same people, and the more important their opinion of the (perceived) threat you pose is to your life, the more concealment you are going to need, to seemingly absurd levels to the casual observer.

I’m *every* bit as pro-LEO as the majority forum zeitgeist, probably well inside the top half of a forum populated in part by LEOs. That said, unless a cop is going to pay my bills if I get fired, they can keep their opinion of my kit to themselves.

JMO.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    I’m *every* bit as pro-LEO as the majority forum zeitgeist, probably well inside the top half of a forum populated in part by LEOs. That said, unless a cop is going to pay my bills if I get fired, they can keep their opinion of my kit to themselves.
    You can say that again. It all has to go into a big equation, which individuals are best equipped to solve for themselves.

Yo. The cool kids are all carrying 6-shot J frames now. Do try to keep up, Mr Bond.

Yeah...I'm not much of a joiner. What can I say?
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Yeah...I'm not much of a joiner. What can I say?
    Clearly, you are heading for “kilt in aisle 6…”

”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    Clearly, you are heading for “kilt in aisle 6…”

Name:  IMG_9956.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  46.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Especially strange given what I imagine the cultural norm for your area is probably like. Even here, one of my buddies at work leads the security ministry for his church, and the rest of the armed team is composed entirely of current and retired LEOs (mix of locals and feds).
    You're right. Considering his LE experience, the cultural norms of our region and the fact that he wasn't even a church goer, it was quite strange. Doubly so considering we were all discussing one of the high profile church shootings that had just occurred. His response was pretty belligerent and borderline irrational. We all had a "What just happened here?" moment.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

In my opinion the audience for that article represents a few thousand people at best. Fair enough if that was the intent. There's somewhere between 100-150M gun owners in the US and ~900K LE last I checked. Of those, the ones at what we might call a "PF level" of dedication are a small fraction. That means advice relevant to probably less than a thousandth of 1% of people carrying or that might carry. I think that's important to recognize.

I'd say the best we can hope for with the other 99.999% is that we can encourage them to choose a quality, robust, holster appropriate for their chosen method of carry. At the least, this will hopefully increase safety and consistency of carry. The upside is, the holster market is over-saturated with options. So, even for those on a very limited budget, there are still lots of quality options.

We can try to give the 99% a glimpse at aspirational choices, and I think that can be a good thing to plant seeds for those receptive. I do think it's detrimental to do so in a holier-than-thou manner, at least for the masses. Worst case, though, if we can just get more of them than not to choose a quality holster that encourages them to carry frequently, I think that's a win or at least a good foundation to build from.
    Administrator for PatRogers.org

Quote Originally Posted by Le Français View Post
    Wouldn’t that crowd be more upset if they found out you weren’t carrying?
    Most of them, but there are exceptions.

One thought I've heard expressed is the concern that should an attempt at a mass shooting happen during a service, how many people with poor gun skills will be trying to shoot at the shooter, or who they think is the shooter, ect.
    Last edited by Joe in PNG; 04-22-2024 at 02:48 PM.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

I read the article and the responses on this site. Seems pretty standard SLG to me. I have met him once at the TLG Memorial Shoot and he is the real deal - a cool cat for sure. I am loosely aware of his credentials and work history and that article is something you would expect from a guy who was "that guy." He is not going to settle for anything less than the best and he is not going to allow you to think it is ok to settle either. Whether you think it's settling or not - he sure does so let's not get into that debate.

Unless my memory is faulty - the period that TLG and SLG were active participants on the forum was an intense time. Those guys are the 1% (or less) of domestic gun carrying professionals. Knock down drag out debates were the norm and both really struggled to deal with us non-1%ers who didn't fully "get it" - whatever "it" was at the time. If memory also serves, both left the forum and came back multiple times because of disagreements and arguments with other members. Let's face it, it's very hard for him to identify with us and very hard for us to identify with him. He training cadence was 3 to 4+ times a week when some of us could were struggling training 3 to 4 times a month. I imagine that is why he is not active on the forum now - dealing with us peasants who can barely carry a g19 and a reload can be frustrating to a guy like him. I imagine I was like a lot of other guys here, we absorbed all the info we could, took and applied what was applicable to our situations, and carried on with our lives a little bit more prepared than the previous day. Were we perfect? Probably not.

Despite that people on this forum know him and follow his new blog, that article was not for "us." I imagine he would have hated this thread. He doesn't compromise and that is who he is. Lucky for him, his employment allows him those luxuries.

He views the world through his life experience and if I was that guy, I hope I would be willing and able to carry that stuff too. That being said, even some ex-Tier 1 SMU retired military guys don't carry to the level that he is carrying. That is to say, professional gun fighters that are not in an LEO capacity, are even at a lower rung compared to him. Additionally, I think some pictures on how he actually carries that stuff and the level of concealability that he is ok with would have been helpful and very informative for all of us to up our game a little (if we chose to).

User Tag List