Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Pistol-trainings take

Site Supporter
    Random Musings:

Full Disclosure: I know SLG personally having been introduced to him by TLG in the mid 2000s. I have shot with SLG on numerous occasions. I was there when he and another coin holder (#13) shot multiple sub 5 sec FAST Tests one, after another. SLG was shooting a concealed shooting a duty Glock-AIWB. The other, then head of the agency range, was shooting a duty Glock ( G22 in 40 cal/180 g lawman) out of a Safariland 295, the then issue holster of said agency. I have instructed with SLG on one occasion.

Who is SLG?

https://pistol-training.com/about/

Back to thread and related thoughts:

Multiple things can be true at the same time:

1. Too many folks often dress sloppy to conceal a gun when they do not have to because they are lazy, cheap, hardheaded or some combination thereof.

2. Some folks work in cultural NPE spaces where job loss and permanent career track damage is real such that compromises must be made re gun size.

3. Both statements are representative of a continuum re manner of dress and degree of consequence.

4. If you are reading this post and you are out in the world with a set of flips flop or indeed any pair of shoes that you cannot run/fight in, you are doing it wrong. You know better…so do better.

On a tangent: I find it mildly ironic that many folks post comments using words and tone that they would never use in the presence of the people and/or type of people that they are speaking of. This is particularly true when the comments of are aimed at those who are of color/opposite sex/MIL/GOV/LEO etc.
    Last edited by vcdgrips; 04-23-2024 at 08:19 AM.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Wow, this devolved quickly. I thought most of the dissenting comments were intended to be humor, and tongue-in-cheek for the most part.

We're all (supposed to be) adults in this room. I trust we can make the decisions about dressing, carrying, and gear that make the most sense for ourselves, our lives, and our loved ones based upon realistic assessments. I think that's why most of us have been and remain here.

There is definitely an air of unnecessary condescension in this thread...and not only in one direction. I hope that gets put away sooner rather than later.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    Damn...flip flops are catching strays out here wtf?

I wear those big soft cushiony things from Amazon after runs and around the house and at the BJJ gym, but I will wear them out to Walmart too.

I saw Chael Sonnen take down Wanderlei Silva in a pair of flip flops and jeans, so I'm not super worried about fighting in them.

As far as running goes...I mean I can run a loooong distance with shoes on, I bet I can run a short enough distance to get to safety after I kick my flip flops off...especially because I'm wearing socks underneath them.

Don't be hating, it's called style

Exclamation

On a tangent: I find it mildly ironic that many folks post comments using words and tone that they would never use in the presence of the people and/or type of people that they are speaking of. This is particularly true when the comments of are aimed at those who are of color/opposite sex/MIL/GOV/LEO etc

^@vcdgrips nailed it. After spending my youth fighting in Afghanistan along side fallujah and Iraq invasion veterans, along with other countless battles I learned to treat all men with respect, especially ones very trained and good at the administration of violence. People have big mouths and I let them. I don't get into dick measuring contests anymore, I know who I am and I know what men to respect.

We used to have several very knowledgeable SMEs on Pistol Forum and now we have fewer.

Quote Originally Posted by Chipster View Post
    Having spent time with both SLG and TLG, while both could be described as “intense”, neither would refer to others as “peasants” simply because they didn’t rise to their level of dedication to the art of concealed carry. Like so many others I respect out there, I am always happy to get a bit of insight into their thoughts whether I agree with every aspect or not. I think there’s people out there that would disagree that a da/sa gun isn’t as great as Ernest Langdon does but I doubt there’s anyone who after speaking to him and watching him shoot that he’s somehow incorrect. I saw a post the other day from another well known trainer about micro-pistols. I don’t agree with him but the points he made aren’t wrong. Sometimes that’s more of the point. Not always who is right, but are they really wrong?
    I was not being literal. I was just trying to illustrate the amount of accomplishment and dedication those two had. Perhaps I did that in the wrong way but I think the general idea still is accurate. That is my fault.
    Last edited by Cool Breeze; 04-23-2024 at 10:28 AM.

Granted this is my own thread and I apologize for the drift. Me stating that "you actually read it" was referring to several posts that discuss deeper concealment in a sense that he didn't mention it, he did. I could really care less what others do with their concealment or gun choice, it's America and if you find yourself in your first or 79th gun fight, I wish you luck. This thread has illustrated once again why the majority of people worth reading have left the forum.

If a simple comment like "because you actually read it" leads you to call a group of people cunts. This isn't the place for me anymore. Same reason I'm not on social media. This was a place to discuss things like adults and better ones self. Disagreements weren't always graceful but at least they added to it. People are too dogmatic and set in their ways to even see it from a different point of view or handle when someone pokes fun at them. Cheers everyone and good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    Granted this is my own thread and I apologize for the drift. Me stating that "you actually read it" was referring to several posts that discuss deeper concealment in a sense that he didn't mention it, he did. I could really care less what others do with their concealment or gun choice, it's America and if you find yourself in your first or 79th gun fight, I wish you luck. This thread has illustrated once again why the majority of people worth reading have left the forum.

If a simple comment like "because you actually read it" leads you to call a group of people cunts. This isn't the place for me anymore. Same reason I'm not on social media. This was a place to discuss things like adults and better ones self. Disagreements weren't always graceful but at least they added to it. People are too dogmatic and set in their ways to even see it from a different point of view or handle when someone pokes fun at them. Cheers everyone and good luck.
    R, you'd be wrong to let the words or actions of any one member be enough to drive you off this site when there are so many others who consider you a friend and someone whom they respect.

I, for one, feel like I've watched your life evolve here and I'd miss your presence.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by BN View Post
    We used to have several very knowledgeable SMEs on Pistol Forum and now we have fewer.
    It has been said that people post on the internet for two main reasons -- money and ego. I would offer two additional reasons, a genuine interest in information exchange and a desire to be part of a community. Like many, I have been part of PF since it became a thing.

As to the money part, PF costs you money, not makes it, as you regularly learn about and buy cool things that you never knew you needed. Anyone who thinks they are a really good shooter just needs to compete, and they will quickly learn how many better shooters there are than you. The information exchange and community is what keeps me around here.

I suspect most of those who left were looking for the money or ego part, and PF or really any online forum doesn't do that well. I both miss those people and don't miss them at all -- I wish the value proposition of PF worked for them, but to the extent it didn't, they are better off gone.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    It has been said that people post on the internet for two main reasons -- money and ego. I would offer two additional reasons, a genuine interest in information exchange and a desire to be part of a community. Like many, I have been part of PF since it became a thing.

As to the money part, PF costs you money, not makes it, as you regularly learn about and buy cool things that you never knew you needed. Anyone who thinks they are a really good shooter just needs to compete, and they will quickly learn how many better shooters there are than you. The information exchange and community is what keeps me around here.

I suspect most of those who left were looking for the money or ego part, and PF or really any online forum doesn't do that well. I both miss those people and don't miss them at all -- I wish the value proposition of PF worked for them, but to the extent it didn't, they are better off gone.
    I have a great deal of respect for all of the SMEs I can think of who were active on the forum and are now less so, like Ernest, Gabe White, and Daryl Bolke. I’m not sure who’s really being talked about in these comments but it’s hard to think it’s them.

I think a lot of people who were active on PF simply don’t have time for that sort of personal pursuit as their own business have grown significantly. No harm no foul.

User Tag List