Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: G42 - weirdness

Site Supporter
    I too vote for getting a new one. An unused, recent manufacture date 42 found its way to me. It has been about 8 different shooters hands of differing ability. All were told to shoot with varying unlocked, non-traditional grips as well as traditional grips. No cleaning, one lube when I got ir. Approx 900 rounds of mixed ammo (Federal hydro shock, Corbon HP, FMJ from various American, European, Korean makers, and some really funky looking unkown make HP). Zero stoppages. It also has the best slimline G trigger I've felt.
    "Knowledge is good." Emil Faber, date unknown.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason M View Post
    I too vote for getting a new one. An unused, recent manufacture date 42 found its way to me. It has been about 8 different shooters hands of differing ability. All were told to shoot with varying unlocked, non-traditional grips as well as traditional grips. No cleaning, one lube when I got ir. Approx 900 rounds of mixed ammo (Federal hydro shock, Corbon HP, FMJ from various American, European, Korean makers, and some really funky looking unkown make HP). Zero stoppages. It also has the best slimline G trigger I've felt.
    Dumb question, has Glock added the breech face cut and/or forward serration to the newer 42s?

I have a first year manufacture 42 I got as an LEO trade in. It's never malfunctioned, using only the newest -03 magazines. I put a Ghost connector and Ameriglo fiber optic sights on it. On paper, it's the wife's gun, in practice, it's my NPE and lawn mowing gun... very fun shooter and great small gun with low recoil. I like how it doesn't feel like a departure in recoil from the full size 9mm Glocks. Only wish I could get an SCD for it.

Fired OOB? The case deformation is likely what locked it up.

Are you sure it was OOB or was it bullet setback? Since you were shooting a match I assume you didn't get to inspect the case to see if the primer strike was centered? OOB in a Glock is a really bad thing if it's an actual gun problem vs an ammo problem.

I've had one in my life and it blew the mag out. I cleared, reloaded and finished the stage too. It wasn't OOB, it was reloading really bulged cases by "fixing" them with a Redding GRX push through die. They will reform cases that should be tossed instead of reloaded. I don't scrounge brass where open guns play anymore. .40 major brass frags and burning powder flying into my hands and face was a "once is enough" sorta deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    ... Barnes TAC-XPD 380 ACP Ammo 80 Grain.
    It was known that Barnes does not work in G42 for years. This article is from 2014:

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/gun-review-glock-42/

I had to learn it first hand, too. I only expended that box of Barnes 5 years later, when I bought a Taurus revolver in .380 ACP.

I never liked Glocks, but finally had to admit that they work, and that problems are usually shooter, crappy ammo, or mags, in that order. My 42 is a few years old, unknown round count, with the most current mags. It runs on all ball, Critical Defense, Federal HS Deep, and Federal HST Micro.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

The G42 is a compromise gun--you give up some things to get such a small package. I have some compromise guns.

You give up some things to have a .380 in such a small package.

I would just find some .380 ball ammo with which it functions reliably and call it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    I never liked Glocks, but finally had to admit that they work, and that problems are usually shooter, crappy ammo, or mags, in that order. My 42 is a few years old, unknown round count, with the most current mags. It runs on all ball, Critical Defense, Federal HS Deep, and Federal HST Micro.
    Just another data point in the same place. My 42 is 2019? Yes, I think. 03 mags, somewhere in the 500-800 round count, 0 malf.

Site Supporter
    Got some Hornady Critical Defense and some Punch. When I get the chance, I'll run them. Luckily, going into the ammo cave, I didn't find a box of the Barnes. Lots of FMJ of various types.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

If you really like the Glock, and given your history with this one...maybe buy another?
    From what I can tell, after the problems of the first mark(Another reason to wait 2-3 years after a new model comes out) the problems dwindled to near nothing. Mine(a later 2017 model) has been completely reliable across 1600 rounds of mixed cheap ball(even Silver Bear) and several JHPs.

You said you didn't like the LCP.
    The LCP2 is a distinct improvement in both sights and grip. It has a very shootable trigger, sort of a cross between a Glock and a LEM.
    Not nearly as pleasant to shoot as a G42, it is substantially smaller in every dimension and several ounces lighter. One of mine was picky about Herters ball and would occasionally fail to extract, but was completely reliable with everything else.The other one chomps Herters with no problem. Go figure.

Snappier ammo (not boutique brands +p shit) seems to function better. Magtec as an example is on the soft side. CD has worked for me but nothing light or low recoil. Most hollow points work. But Hornady American gunner 90 grain will barely cycle the slide.

Good grip and locked arm also seem like a good thing with these

User Tag List