Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: G19- still the standard?

The herd instinct is strong, but some recognize S&W made a better G19 with the M&P 2.0 Compact.

Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    As an aside, I consider the M&P 2.0 Compact every bit as viable an omni-answer as the G19. Identically sized, identically reliable, identically shootable. At least in my experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    When S&W eventually released the 4in/15rnd Goldilocks was when I (Gasp!!!) sold all of my Glocks.
    Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    Once the 2.0 Compact came out I ended up with one each in 9mm and 40 an abandoned the G19 idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    If I won a coupon or raffle for a free pistol, and my choices were between a G19 and an M&Pc 2.0, I would not hesitate one moment in picking the Smith.
    Quote Originally Posted by WDR View Post
    The M&P, and the Sig 320, both would be top competitors to knock the Glock 19 off its pillar. If the M&P 1.0 9mm's hadn't had the accuracy issues, and the Sig 320's hadn't had the drop safety issue, I think either one could have really taken the spotlight.

Quote Originally Posted by gc70 View Post
    The herd instinct is strong, but some recognize S&W made a better G19 with the M&P 2.0 Compact.
    In my case, I had several years of carrying M&Ps, plus an accumulation of holsters and magazines, and I’ve been through the armorer class twice, so I decided to stick with them.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    Recommending a gun that they cannot hide with the clothing they currently own is a good way to ensure that they do not carry it.
    If I were recommending a gun based on body type and wardrobe, it would be a NAA mini revolver. Too fat, clothes too tight, clothes that will fall down with a G42 IWB. It's a shit show out there. I live in FL, and we are different, but there aren't many people that don't check one of those three wardrobe boxes.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by gc70 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    In my case, I had several years of carrying M&Ps, plus an accumulation of holsters and magazines, and I’ve been through the armorer class twice, so I decided to stick with them.
    I am a M&P fan boy, but don't want to be a Glock hater.
    If I was issued something I wouldn't worry about it, but when I had both I was grabbing a M&P when it was time to head to the range every weekend.
    When I decided I wanted a Beretta 686 O/U and a Dillon SL900 to go with it I decided I really didn't need a collection of various striker guns.
    And also M&Ps were a smoking good deal, I paid ~$400 for my 2.0 Compact and a year or so later they were available for $370, and I shoulda bought another one.
    And I might be 320 curious, but now I am the guy that has 6-7 pistols and 10-15 (maybe closer to 20...) holsters and maybe 30-40 magazines, sooooo......

I have a Gen5 G19 set up with an SCS MOS and a TLR7 for two reasons. First, it's the only pistol in my shrinking stable that my wife has any interest in shooting. Secondly, it's the pistol that I believe will be most reliable for the longest time if I have to run it hard, continuously, with minimal maintenance. AND, if anything breaks, it takes 5 minutes or less to detail strip, replace parts, and reassemble.

I spend darn near no time with it, because it hurts to shoot well (amount of grip strength needed and grip angle combine to make it very uncomfortable for me), and it's WAY harder to shoot at a high level than darn near anything else I've used.

The M&P2.0 Compact and the P10C are, for me, both vastly product improved G19s, but both are more complex, and have a much smaller logistical "pipeline" if you want/need to replace parts, etc. The M&P has a marginal at best trigger, but you can APEX that. It also has a useable (not great, but useable) manual safety, which I find very comforting. The P10C is the polymer striker pistol that gave me my best ever 25 yard groups, consistently approaching what I could do with a good 1911 and tuned match ammunition. But, the trigger is funky (I got a lot of trigger slap), it's close to a snowflake as far as finding parts/accessories, and it looks like CZ is going to switch it out with something new in the near future, so I wouldn't invest a bunch of money in that platform right now.

I wouldn't use a P320 on a bet for anything but range toy purposes, and, even then, I wouldn't be comfortable with it.

My "all day every day" solution now is the P365 family - smallest configuration for pocket/hot weather IWB, the XL for all other carry needs. I haven't jumped onto the Macro bandwagon yet, because my "shoot on the range" fun gun is still a Prodigy (don't hate). BUT, there are enough really smart/talented shooters on this forum that think the Macro is up there in shootability...

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    I'm too invested in Glocks to really care. I have so many glock 19/17/26/etc mags and holsters and parts and blah blah.

There are probably better pistols out there, but if I was going to jump to a new handgun it would need to offer something wildly different (like a 9mm 1911). For plastic people poppers (stolen from Tamara) Glock is as good as any other, and its probably the most known quantity in factory handguns.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    I'm too invested in Glocks to really care. I have so many glock 19/17/26/etc mags and holsters and parts and blah blah.

There are probably better pistols out there, but if I was going to jump to a new handgun it would need to offer something wildly different (like a 9mm 1911). For plastic people poppers (stolen from Tamara) Glock is as good as any other, and its probably the most known quantity in factory handguns.
    That's a good way to put it. Chose which polymer framed gun you want with the features you want.

Sorry for the tangent, but I don’t understand why an individual would limit their choice based on its “logistical pipeline” in 2024. It’s not a challenge to get small parts for any of the big name firearms. If you’re concerned about hard times, then stock up ahead of time. :shrug:
    David S.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    If I were recommending a gun based on body type and wardrobe, it would be a NAA mini revolver. Too fat, clothes too tight, clothes that will fall down with a G42 IWB. It's a shit show out there. I live in FL, and we are different, but there aren't many people that don't check one of those three wardrobe boxes.
    I went down to Florida to do an interdiction with BCSO SID (can't remember the specific unit in SID, the coin I got is just for SID).

I had no idea how crazily overdressed I'd be for wearing a white linen shirt and jeans, and it's not even like we were working in a trailer park. Literally all the detectives with us looked like white trash. Basketball shorts, oversized t's with worn out collars, etc.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    My first Glock was a G45. My second was a G19G5. Both have SCDs, and the 19 has a Grip Anchor. I really like the G45, but the 19 w/Grip Anchor feels better and is the one that gets carried. I'm comfortable carrying a K frame so the two additional rounds in the G45 are a non-issue for me.

That's why they make different versions.
    What is a SCD ?

User Tag List