Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: G19- still the standard?

Site Supporter
    I used to carry a 19 or my 26. The latter was a tad easier to conceal. However, if we ever get rid of mag bans, I would consider a Gen 5 19. I have no interest in experimenting with Glock clones. The slim line guns didn't appeal to me when renting, with a floppy cover garment - the different was trivial for a 19. A 17 that's different.

Currently, I have 42 on my belt as I'm going in the basement to dry fire in practice for a small carry gun match. No pocket draws at a match. Those fast draw guys would have a ball with pocket carry.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

If a G17 didn't work so well for me and my routine, the 19 would be the next choice for "all around" duty. I like the slightly longer grip of the 17 vs the 19. The additional slide length isn't that much to contend with for carry duty IMHO.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    I personally carried a Gen3 G23 (later with a 9mm barrel) for ~15 years. but towards the end began to realize that it was actually on the large side of the scale for me (adding a GFA made the trigger unreachable for me). So I found that guns with smaller grips and shorter trigger reach were better for me, but that doesn't change the standard.
    Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    As an aside, I consider the M&P 2.0 Compact every bit as viable an omni-answer as the G19. Identically sized, identically reliable, identically shootable. At least in my experience.
    When S&W eventually released the 4in/15rnd Goldilocks was when I (Gasp!!!) sold all of my Glocks.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    When S&W eventually released the 4in/15rnd Goldilocks was when I (Gasp!!!) sold all of my Glocks.
    I was issued an M&P40 in 2006 until retiring in 2021. Prior to retirement I’d seriously considered getting 3 or four 19s and maybe a 44 to use. Once the 2.0 Compact came out I ended up with one each in 9mm and 40 an abandoned the G19 idea. I know have five 9mms (two with safety levers) and two 40s.
    Lately though I’ve more often been carrying the Shield Plus on my own time and the 2.0 Compact when working at the courthouse.

Quote Originally Posted by NETim View Post
    If a G17 didn't work so well for me and my routine, the 19 would be the next choice for "all around" duty. I like the slightly longer grip of the 17 vs the 19. The additional slide length isn't that much to contend with for carry duty IMHO.
    I'm going through that thought process with my Beretta PX4. I have the compact version, but my pinkie wraps around the front of the magazine floorplate. And it is not causing any problems. I am contemplating the full-size version for the slightly longer grip. The compact is a 9mm and the full-size would be as well. Truth be known, I am just rationalizing to justify another purchase.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by JAH 3rd View Post
    I'm going through that thought process with my Beretta PX4. I have the compact version, but my pinkie wraps around the front of the magazine floorplate. And it is not causing any problems. I am contemplating the full-size version for the slightly longer grip. The compact is a 9mm and the full-size would be as well. Truth be known, I am just rationalizing to justify another purchase.
    In retrospect, I let the PX4 compact's grip length bug me far more than I should have.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

I just stopped by the LGS to pick something up, and asked them about the 365 vs Glock pistol sales. They said they sell six 365 pistols for every Glock 19 and 10 365 pistols for every 43/48 they sell.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    As an aside, I consider the M&P 2.0 Compact every bit as viable an omni-answer as the G19. Identically sized, identically reliable, identically shootable. At least in my experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    If I won a coupon or raffle for a free pistol, and my choices were between a G19 and an M&Pc 2.0, I would not hesitate one moment in picking the Smith. If it didn't have the MS, I'd add it. I'd really dig an aluminum frame with the MS!

Come to think of it, my twin P250c's with WC grip modules are in this same envelope (3.9"/15rnd), and are hammer-fired DAO to boot!. Trigger reach is just a tad long....I wish I could find a couple of short-reach triggers (SIG used to make them). The main reason I don't carry it anymore is that the slides are so much fatter than my 1911's or BHP. I do still carry it in uniform, though.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

In my house, the Glock 19, especially the gen5, is still the standard.

Even if I decide to look into something like a Sig 365 Macro, I don't see my Glock 19's going anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Noah View Post
    I’m 6 foot 1, 165. Your “button down with a pattern” only proves my point- my post was about getting actual concealment with a tee shirt on. If I’m bearing a patterned button down I can carry my G34 just fine, and have carried 19s for years.
    I *can* conceal it under a T-shirt... but its not optimal concealment gear. Mission drives the gear train. I'm willing to "dress around the gun" when I have to. Sometimes getting made matters more than wearing fitted clothing. And sometimes you have to use a smaller gun and deal with the consequences. Concealment is just one factor here. But that is neither here nor there because PLENTY of folks can conceal a Glock 19 just fine... And the question at hand was if it was king of the hill as far as a "one gun to do it all" option. I think it still is.

<shrugs>

I disagree that the P365 is the new Glock 19, simply because it's easier to conceal under a T-shirt. IMHO, the P365 series guns are not "duty" guns, simply because they are not "full size" frames so they don't really belong "there". Not that they are not good guns, or couldn't be pressed into duty uses, especially in a concealed role. But that's like, my opinion, man.
    Last edited by WDR; 04-16-2024 at 07:25 PM.

User Tag List