Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Schools Teaching Finances?

All my parents taught me was have a job with a steady income. I wasn't a good student in high school and learned most of my investing/savings strategy in my 30's. I was fortunate because I've never had a yuge amount of debt other than a mortgage. That was by design. I didn't even have a credit card until last year. I was turned down by a local bank when I applied for one even though I have zero debt and haven't had any in awhile. I've actually paid off a few mortgages but was told that didn't count. I didn't have any loans outstanding, not even a vehicle loan.

I'm not sure what they teach these days, but the banking/financial system in this country encourages people to carry a lot of debt, which they do. I know this is politics but the fact that the president is canceling some student loans sends the wrong message, IMO. Money is just too easy to borrow and too hard for many to pay back. But banks and the fed keep pushing that to keep the economy moving. If it wasn't so the fed would have never bailed out the banks in 2008.

More recently, the mortgage meltdown and subsequent global financial crisis took down more than 500 banks between 2007 and 2014, with total assets of nearly $959 billion. That includes Washington Mutual (WaMu), still the largest bank failure in U.S. history. WaMu had some $307 billion in assets when it collapsed, equivalent to more than $424 billion in today’s dollars. (The aggregate figures don’t include investment banks such as Bear Stearns and Lehman Brothers, which weren’t federally insured, nor banks that were sold under pressure but didn’t technically fail, such as Countrywide Financial and Wachovia.)
    Last edited by Borderland; 04-15-2024 at 08:23 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    When I was in high school (I graduated in '69) there was a class called "Home Economics" which was limited to girls. I assume budgeting was part of that class. There was nothing like that for guys; guys were expected to either go to college or into the work force and figure it out for themselves.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    When I was in high school (I graduated in '69) there was a class called "Home Economics" which was limited to girls. I assume budgeting was part of that class. There was nothing like that for guys; guys were expected to either go to college or into the work force and figure it out for themselves.
    Home Ec was cooking, sewing, crafts, budgeting, etc. to run a home. By the time I was in HS, some (smart) guys were taking Home Ec (where were the cute girls? Home Ec and typing classes, duh!) and some girls were taking auto and wood shop.

My mom taught me how to cook and repair my own clothes, so I took typing.

Site Supporter
    My daughter is a junior in high school. She is currently taking a financial fitness class which is required of all students for graduation. The class seems to be well done, and it appears that she has learned from it. Topics include budgeting, investing, and why accumulating credit card debt is a bad idea.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Site Supporter
    @Duelist - I was in the college prep track and was therefore forbidden from taking typing, which was reserved for the kids going into the workforce after high school. I hunted-and-pecked my way through college.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

Site Supporter
    We teach financial literacy/wellness as part of a mandatory first year class at my university. The group I see every fall is =/- 300 in number. I can state that many of the students do not arrive with a good grasp of the topic.
    "Knowledge is good." Emil Faber, date unknown.

When I was in HS, Consumer Economics was a required course.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    All my parents taught me was have a job with a steady income. I wasn't a good student in high school and learned most of my investing/savings strategy in my 30's. I was fortunate because I've never had a yuge amount of debt other than a mortgage. That was by design. I didn't even have a credit card until last year. I was turned down by a local bank when I applied for one even though I have zero debt and haven't had any in awhile. I've actually paid off a few mortgages but was told that didn't count. I didn't have any loans outstanding, not even a vehicle loan.
    This closely describes me. I'm 32, a mortgage and one very small car payment that I have the ability to pay off anytime. But, I'm pretty risk adverse about money thus far in life. I have never had a credit card, but my wife and I recognize the need for one at some point for additional security and credit. I strongly perfer paying outright instead of over time.

But, the real kicker is investments. They've been discussed on the forum by intelligent and reasonable folks a few times, and I'm still mostly lost. I was homeschooled, and the curriculum talked about household budgets, interest rates on loans, simple nterest... but investing for retirement was absent. I now years later get the gist of compound interest and Roth IRAs, though I have neither.

Stuff that I was never taught, even in college micro and macro economics, was stocks and bonds. They were de jure part of the classes, but not de facto. What they are was talked about but how to properly use them wasn't really. And trying to find a reliable source on basic stock market stuff in the internet age is tough... lots of shills pushing an angle but hard to find information that will help you learn. Every asshole with a Robinhood account after the gamestop thing made a guide course they shill.

I'm likely going to be homeschooling my son starting next year. He isn't ready for that stuff yet (We're excited about learning to multiply!) But I hope to help him learn it. Probably means I'm going to have to teach myself about it as well. I wouldnt trust my local school to make sure understands how a piggy bank works. Never mind money.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    This closely describes me. I'm 32, a mortgage and one very small car payment that I have the ability to pay off anytime. But, I'm pretty risk adverse about money thus far in life. I have never had a credit card, but my wife and I recognize the need for one at some point for additional security and credit. I strongly perfer paying outright instead of over time.

But, the real kicker is investments. They've been discussed on the forum by intelligent and reasonable folks a few times, and I'm still mostly lost. I was homeschooled, and the curriculum talked about household budgets, interest rates on loans, simple nterest... but investing for retirement was absent. I now years later get the gist of compound interest and Roth IRAs, though I have neither.

Stuff that I was never taught, even in college micro and macro economics, was stocks and bonds. They were de jure part of the classes, but not de facto. What they are was talked about but how to properly use them wasn't really. And trying to find a reliable source on basic stock market stuff in the internet age is tough... lots of shills pushing an angle but hard to find information that will help you learn. Every asshole with a Robinhood account after the gamestop thing made a guide course they shill.

I'm likely going to be homeschooling my son starting next year. He isn't ready for that stuff yet (We're excited about learning to multiply!) But I hope to help him learn it. Probably means I'm going to have to teach myself about it as well. I wouldnt trust my local school to make sure understands how a piggy bank works. Never mind money.
    Dave Ramsey’s Financial Peace was huge for the wife and I.

It’s pretty much how we live. We could do better and are in some ways. That’s something we’re really digging into now.
    God Bless,

Brandon

Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post

I cant recommend the principles of this investing website strongly enough: https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/index.php,

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Getting_started

Also Bill Berstein has a great (and free) pdf on investing for younger investors.

http://efficientfrontier.com/ef/0adhoc/ifyoucan.pdf
    Don’t just sit there – do something short sighted and stupid!

User Tag List