Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Why do Pistols Jam More in Actual Shootings vs On the Range?

I can malfunction my GEN two and GEN 3 G19 at Will with poor grip

I've seen some guys carrying competition style pistols. Much easier to bump an oversized mag release under stress.

I attended a recent “PCSL” league shoot as I am contemplating giving it a try. It was eye opening. Several competitors dropped their mags! The low key matter of fact shooters just put the bullets where they needed to go. Those with low slung race guns fired a bunch of rounds quickly. The difference was telling.

Under the dynamics of drawing transitioning, reloading, etc, alot can go wrong.

Reading through all of this has affirmed my decision to gradually shift to mostly using revolving pistols for daily carry, since retiring from LEO-ing. Maintenance is simplified, my revolvering skills are less-perishable, and the accelerating gimp-ification of my right hand is less of a concern, regarding the “limp-wrist” problem. Fortunately, I am reasonably ambidextrous with handguns, and now do most autoloader shooting lefty, but 40 years of carrying on my right side remains hard-wired, so, revolving pistols are my closest friends.

Notably, I got away from using my “grandfathered” 1911 pistols, for police duty, in 2002, because the then-mandated duty holster made it almost impossible to attain a proper firing grip, at the outset of the draw. (Incomplete operation of the grip safety was the major problem, even with a modest “speed bump.”) Transitioning to one of the then-four authorized duty pistols would mean taking a hit in my accuracy potential, but at least they allowed me to juggle the weapon into a more-or-less reasonably firing grip, after clearing leather. (I transitioned to the G22, then, in late 2004, after I had become acquainted with the optional slimmer factory trigger, switched to the P229, which again enabled me to qual “Expert,” cold, on demand.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Re: Bullet Set-Back During Chambering

‘Way back in the Eighties, I noticed serious bullet set-back, with a .45 ACP Winchester Silvertip, that had been chambered in a 1911. This prompted me to adopt the habit of habit of relegating every ejected cartridge to the “training ammo” box. We had gun lockers, at work, so never had to unload while entering weapon-free areas. (True, I did mostly carry big-bore revolvers, on my duty belt, in the Eighties, but, I experimented with, and carried, a range of autos as second weapons, and, in 1990, switched to duty autos.)

Eventually, in this century, I noticed that Glocks and SIGs did not cause noticeable bullet set-back, presumably due to straighter-line-feeding, and better sealing of ammo at the case mouth, so, there were a few times I would re-chamber a round, but tried to do it only once or twice, and only after careful inspection.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    ‘Way back in the Eighties, I noticed serious bullet set-back, with a .45 ACP Winchester Silvertip, that had been chambered in a 1911. This prompted me to adopt the habit of habit of relegating every ejected cartridge to the “training ammo” box. We had gun lockers, at work, so never had to unload while entering weapon-free areas. (True, I did mostly carry big-bore revolvers, on my duty belt, in the Eighties, but, I experimented with, and carried, a range of autos as second weapons, and, in 1990, switched to duty autos.)

Eventually, in this century, I noticed that Glocks and SIGs did not cause noticeable bullet set-back, presumably due to straighter-line-feeding, and better sealing of ammo at the case mouth, so, there were a few times I would re-chamber a round, but tried to do it only once or twice, and only after careful inspection.
    Same I inspect but never same round more than 3 times max

And......once is ideal.....

Personal Experience: Limp-Wristing/Numb-Thumbing

My first experience with “limp-wrist” malfunctions started shortly before my fiftieth birthday. My first such malfunction was a bolt out of the blue, on a day when I was extremely fatigued, and feeling a bit under the weather, after having worked a patrol shift, 2200-0600, and then starting a training day at the academy at 0700 or 0800. I had to fire a “stress” course, at the range. If I remember correctly, the total round count was about 140 to 150 rounds. My duty pistol was a SIG P229, .40 S&W, so, with that high bore axis, relatively snappy. The first malfunction coincided with the muzzle flip being much higher and to the right than normal, as if my thumb was not doing its job.

My brain was “telling” my right hand what to do, but the hand would not reliably “listen.” I had several more such malfunctions, that day. I was well-trained in tap-rack malfunction clearing, so, things moved along OK, but, yes, I started kicking myself for not having “grandfathered” at least one of my duty revolvers, back in 1997. By the end of the training day, it became apparent that my arthritis was starting to catch up with me, but that was a separate issue from the malfunctions. Later, however, while well-rested, I fired the crap out of my P229, mostly left-handed, and it ran fine, but, something did not “feel right” anymore, especially when shooting one-handed with my right hand.

Eventually, it became apparent that my ring and pinkie fingers were part of the problem. These two fingers, and the thumb. Bingo: Ulnar nerve. Time to resume Carpal Tunnel Syndrome mitigation exercises and stretches, and to pay attention to my spine and shoulder, because nerve impingement can occur in those places, too. (I have scoliosis, and a bum right shoulder, the latter dating to my teen years.)

Eventually, I learned that there was a psychological component to Ulnar Nerve problems. That may explain why I had multiple malfunctions, during that training day. The first malfunction became a psychological problem, that fed upon itself. More malfunctions. The fatigue, and feeling unwell, contributed. I remember thinking that I should retire, from LEO-ing, because SIGs were “not supposed to” have limp-wrist malfunctions. (It was a well-maintained weapon, including spring replacement.)

Now y’all know why I have such extensive experience carrying SP101 revolvers in Alessi Ankle Holsters and Kramer Pocket Holsters. When seated in a patrol car, an ankle rig is VERY accessible. When on foot I can discreetly have my hand on a pocketed SP101. The issued Blauer uniform trousers had nicely deep, large-volume pockets. Yes, even though my P229 never again malfunctioned, after that training day, I knew that I could, potentially, induce those malfunctions, particularly if under stress.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    I checked a friends gun once, it felt weird. Taking it apart, it had white gunk in it. She had been admiring it while eating ice cream. Wiping it off the outside isnt enough.
    This reminds me that weapons in waist/belt pouches, a.k.a. “fanny packs,” are vulnerable to spilled and dropped food and drinks. I will not say who it was, on a publicly-viewable forum, but I took a gummed-up J-snub back from someone, who likes sticky, sweet food and drinks. The J had obviously been gummed-up for some time. I read this person the riot act, about Paying Fucking Attention. I got the J-snub all cleaned up, and have kept it. (I am getting old, so, .32 J-snubs are becoming my little friends. I had paid for the weapon, and filled out the 4473, so, it is MINE, again. If I have to be the family armorer, I will set the rules, at least for any weapons that I have bought.)

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    Reading through all of this has affirmed my decision to gradually shift to mostly using revolving pistols for daily carry, since retiring from LEO-ing. Maintenance is simplified, my revolvering skills are less-perishable, and the accelerating gimp-ification of my right hand is less of a concern, regarding the “limp-wrist” problem. Fortunately, I am reasonably ambidextrous with handguns, and now do most autoloader shooting lefty, but 40 years of carrying on my right side remains hard-wired, so, revolving pistols are my closest friends.

Notably, I got away from using my “grandfathered” 1911 pistols, for police duty, in 2002, because the then-mandated duty holster made it almost impossible to attain a proper firing grip, at the outset of the draw. (Incomplete operation of the grip safety was the major problem, even with a modest “speed bump.”) Transitioning to one of the then-four authorized duty pistols would mean taking a hit in my accuracy potential, but at least they allowed me to juggle the weapon into a more-or-less reasonably firing grip, after clearing leather. (I transitioned to the G22, then, in late 2004, after I had become acquainted with the optional slimmer factory trigger, switched to the P229, which again enabled me to qual “Expert,” cold, on demand.
    I beg to differ on revolver skills being less perishable. I would say they’re just different.

While revolvers don’t rely on grip for reliable operation, running a double action trigger Pull at any sort of realistic speed and expecting to hit anything is a perishable skill.

And while reloads are a low priority in a personal defense context reloading a revolver under stress in a realistic period of time, especially without a speed loader is also a perishable skill.

It’s more of a “pick your poison” deal.

User Tag List