Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Why do Pistols Jam More in Actual Shootings vs On the Range?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    Yesterday I was shooting my trainer HK45C at speed (my shot timer's batteries died though!), and it seems I too was holding down the slide release on the left side, or at least my thumb was close enough to it that during recoil on the last round it would press it down and cause it to not lock open. I was tired, running low on water, it was hot, etc. Never had it happen with an HK45C before. The slide release lever goes much further back towards the thumbs compared to the USP.
    I will say on the Glock Gen 5’s they did change the slide release to make it both ambidextrous and a bit wider. I couldn’t activate it on Gen 4’s without the extended release (I have hitch hiker’s thumbs). I can release the OEM one on Gen 5 17’s and 19’s no problem. The Glock 34 came extended and I figured keep it. But I believe I was pinning it with my non-dominant hand at times preventing slide lock and pushing it up with my non-dominant hand causing premature slide lock. Ultimately, going to the non-extended slide release on the 34 fixed it.

But I never had that issue except at two USPSA matches. And dude… I dry fired a lot, but this issue wouldn’t show in dry fire because the slide isn’t cycling as it would in operation and I guess I was gripping it firmer / different at matches than I was at the range when I zero’d it and practiced there, etc.

ETA: I was just saying trying to add substance to the statement “People do funny things under stress” with a personal experience.
    God Bless,

Brandon

Speaking of silly things.

Noticed as my macro mag release get worn they can drop mags if my grip isn't perfect.

Swapped all macro mag release to oem xl release including carry guns.

Much prefer this change. No noticeable mag change issues.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by G19Fan View Post
    Speaking of silly things.

Noticed as my macro mag release get worn they can drop mags if my grip isn't perfect.

Swapped all macro mag release to oem xl release including carry guns.

Much prefer this change. No noticeable mag change issues.
    JCN recently documented the same issue with the Macro release on Enos forum, also in hi volume 365 use.

Site Supporter
    Is Glock still the easiest to get spare parts for? What about the M&P?

Speaking of magazine releases. I much prefer low profile, and single side magazine releases. My concern is greater of accidentally dropping/losing my magazine vs having the extended/ambi release make the difference in a life saving encounter.

A Gen 3 Glock mag release is just fine, and I would take the USP release over the P30.

I once lose a magazine out of an XD-S Mod 2. Partly my fault for using a generic holster, but the overly sensitive and ambi mag release was the ultimate cause in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    “Limp wristing” is some red shirt /fudd lore b******t people who don’t know any better say when they don’t really know why malfunctions are occurring.

The answer is grip, specifically the grip, draw and presentation process.

Semi automatic pistols are recoil operated. For the pistol to function through the cycle of operation, it needs something to recoil against to allow the recoil spring to compress fully and allow the slide to travel to rear before the recoil, spring allows, the slide to move forward and pick up another round. That “something to recoil against” is the shooter’s grip.

So DB is spot on since the cycle of operation for double action revolvers depends on working the trigger finger, not on having something to recoil against as it is much more forgiving of grip issues.

If you study enough OIS videos you’ll notice that the incidence of malfunctions is significantly higher when officers are drawing under time in response to a threat vs shootings where officers start out with the gun already in hand and their grip is already established.

Most cops are not gun people. They don’t dry fire or do dry practice on their grip and draw on their own even though it’s something that their life could depend on. They might do it a little bit when they’re in the police Academy but that’s it.

Combine that with the fact that most police qualification courses are designed to check a box and are not particularly challenging. The time pressure is minimal and what little time pressure there is involves a known par time.

Then all of a sudden somebody is trying to kill them while their gun is holstered and they are trying to draw the gun as fast as possible for the first time ever.

It’s a recipe for getting a bad grip and bad grips induce malfunctions.

If you look at the law enforcement use force video thread here you’ll also see multiple instances where officers draw in response to a threat and then place their support hand thumb behind the slide inducing malfunctions. This is an issue with improperly building the grip during presentation.

In my experience, we also see that when officers get stressed and or disoriented such as in high stress, force on force training or when shooting from unconventional or “down and disabled “positions.

To a lesser extent you also see officers inducing malfunctions by unintentionally, hitting magazine, releases, or activating slide locks with rounds remaining in the gun, these are also grip related malfunctions.

You can also have officers who are injured, including injuries to the hands. People tend to focus on what they perceive as the threat, meaning they will often focus on the weapon in somebody’s hand, resulting in a disproportionate amount of hits to the hands.

After the Academy, the average police officer in the United States goes to the range with their agency once or twice a year and shoots anywhere between 50 and 200 rounds. In my area most of the smaller departments shoot once a year and shoot 50 or 100 rounds.

Spot on. If you've ever shot a competition, you know how the beep of the shot timer changes everything. Now imagine being completely overwhelmed while fighting to save your life.

So since this thread seems to have run its course the logical follow-up question is:

Are certain pistols more prone to this behavior than others? Others more forgiving?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by EVP View Post
    So since this thread seems to have run its course the logical follow-up question is:

Are certain pistols more prone to this behavior than others? Others more forgiving?
    I think it’s an argument for pistols with a larger operating window or margin of reliability, IE your comp or 2011 might always work at the range, but it does have a smaller operating window and may be easier to get out side of that smaller window in environments outside of nice days on the square range. Same for things like extended mag releases and slide releases, and manual safeties.

Just go into everything with your eyes open and train what you choose to use.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Yes.

As stated earlier in the thread, your super compact 9mm pistol is (ceteris paribus) going to be more finicky about grip, maintenance, and lubrication than, say a Beretta 92.

Your typical mid-sized polymer striker-fired pistol using typical FMJ ammunition is going to be more finicky about grip at the very least than the Beretta 92.

Full sized duty type pistols with metal frames loaded with typical duty ammunition (which is usually loaded hotter than bulk FMJ even in non +P spec) are going to likely provide the widest margin for error. The last batch of M9's tested...which is not even the best spec Beretta makes...exhibited over 20,000 MRBS. (Mean rounds between stoppage) Which is an incredible reliability standard. I can tell you from personal experience the 92 will run well even when the magazine springs are tired and the recoil spring has been run past the point of all reason. It runs when it's been stripped of lubrication. It's one of the best case scenarios for function when you have a bad grip, lack of maintenance, and lack of lubrication. Other pistols like the Sig P226 or the S&W 5906 have similar reputations for stellar reliability and durability over the long haul.

Full sized polymer frame striker guns like the Glock 17 are going to be a little bit lower simply because they tend to care more about grip due to the lack of weight in the frame.

As the gun gets smaller and lighter, it's a safe bet that the margin for error also shrinks. Glock 19's, especially the third gen ones, are particularly susceptible to stoppages when they are not gripped properly while shooting FMJ ammo. The tendency for this to happen lessens when using hotter +P ammunition, but it doesn't entirely go away.

Police duty guns are typically the best case scenario for margin of error in reliability in a handgun. So the frequency of stoppages seen when police fight with handguns ought to put the fear of God into the typical concealed carrier who is usually packing something much smaller and less forgiving than a police duty sidearm while having really no better maintenance or attention to keeping it running.

You will also note that the people who take self defense with a pistol most seriously will tend to pack something that is closer to the duty gun spec than the super light and easy to carry spec. This is not to say they never carry something smaller and lighter, but they carry as much gun as they can as much of the time as they can.
    3/15/2016

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    A mini-version of this discussion happened in the LE UOF thread, which is a wealth of video evidence of pistols having problems:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....thread/page173

...prompted by this video:

Where you can see multiple officers experience multiple stoppages with their pistols. Bad grip being the most readily evident cause of the first couple.

Or this video:

...where the officer only avoided serious injury because she happened to encounter the weakest, least capable violent threat you can imagine and choked her gun with a terrible grip after dumping a bunch of rounds into nearby dwellings full of innocent people.

If you look through the videos in that thread you'll see example after example after example of bad grips. Hence why I placed that as #1 on the list.
    3/15/2016

Site Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    Yes.

As stated earlier in the thread, your super compact 9mm pistol is (ceteris paribus) going to be more finicky about grip, maintenance, and lubrication than, say a Beretta 92.

Your typical mid-sized polymer striker-fired pistol using typical FMJ ammunition is going to be more finicky about grip at the very least than the Beretta 92.

Full sized duty type pistols with metal frames loaded with typical duty ammunition (which is usually loaded hotter than bulk FMJ even in non +P spec) are going to likely provide the widest margin for error. The last batch of M9's tested...which is not even the best spec Beretta makes...exhibited over 20,000 MRBS. (Mean rounds between stoppage) Which is an incredible reliability standard. I can tell you from personal experience the 92 will run well even when the magazine springs are tired and the recoil spring has been run past the point of all reason. It runs when it's been stripped of lubrication. It's one of the best case scenarios for function when you have a bad grip, lack of maintenance, and lack of lubrication. Other pistols like the Sig P226 or the S&W 5906 have similar reputations for stellar reliability and durability over the long haul.

Full sized polymer frame striker guns like the Glock 17 are going to be a little bit lower simply because they tend to care more about grip due to the lack of weight in the frame.

As the gun gets smaller and lighter, it's a safe bet that the margin for error also shrinks. Glock 19's, especially the third gen ones, are particularly susceptible to stoppages when they are not gripped properly while shooting FMJ ammo. The tendency for this to happen lessens when using hotter +P ammunition, but it doesn't entirely go away.

Police duty guns are typically the best case scenario for margin of error in reliability in a handgun. So the frequency of stoppages seen when police fight with handguns ought to put the fear of God into the typical concealed carrier who is usually packing something much smaller and less forgiving than a police duty sidearm while having really no better maintenance or attention to keeping it running.

You will also note that the people who take self defense with a pistol most seriously will tend to pack something that is closer to the duty gun spec than the super light and easy to carry spec. This is not to say they never carry something smaller and lighter, but they carry as much gun as they can as much of the time as they can.
    Agree with what TCinVA posted and would just add that IME guns with ambidextrous and/or extended controls are more prone to operator induced malfunctions caused by minor grip errors.

User Tag List