Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: SHTF AR 10 or AR 15?

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    There is a lot of romantic nonsense about older, obsolescent 7.62 platforms like the Garand, M14, FAL, G3, etc - all come from an era when round counts, especially in training were much lower. Most are inferior to a modern AR-10 like the LMT or 417.

In a SHTF scenario you are going to die from drinking bad water or an infected cut before you have to wear football armor and make a machete out of a lawn mower blade and duct tape because your LMT MWS failed.
    Well... depends on when that LMT was built, maybe; there's been quite the string of bad LMT guns for the past couple of years it seems, unfortunately.

I've never warmed to the AR-10. I'd much rather have a lightweight suppressed 5.56 SBR, and a .308 (or other caliber) precision bolt action rifle.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    ...and good barrels will tend to last longer in 5.56 when compared to .308 and even more so compared to .260/6.5.
    Not a high volume rifle shooter but I was under the impression that barrel life of 5.56 and .308 were about the same? Maybe it depends on how 'barrel life' is defined.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
    Ya, well, that's not near as much fun to think about as a potential new AR 10 or AR 15. I suspect that money for a new rifle is burning a much bigger hole in Mitchum's pocket than anything related to beans or band-aids.
    If you just want an excuse to spend money, night vision…

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    Well... depends on when that LMT was built, maybe; there's been quite the string of bad LMT guns for the past couple of years it seems, unfortunately.
    It also depends on how resistant your gut bacteria is.

I’ve seen one early production MRP that had profound issues. Started developing cracks.

Other than that, all I see is a bunch of people who buy LMTs, don’t shoot them and complain about cosmetic flaws like they are faberge eggs.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba Dremel Customs View Post
    Not a high volume rifle shooter but I was under the impression that barrel life of 5.56 and .308 were about the same? Maybe it depends on how 'barrel life' is defined.
    "Accurate" barrel life should be about the same. ~3000 rounds give or take. I have 5.56 ARs with quite a bit more than that, and they still do what I need them to.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

I have multiple S&W M&P 15s and one MP10. I was issued an M&P 15 until I retired as well. I’ve hunted with one or two of the 223s and the 308, which doesn’t compare to carrying a rifle in a combat situation but it’s as close as I hope to be. The 308 was manageable with a BFG padded sling but still I’d rather fight with one in 223/556. My 308 has a 3-9 scope and I’ve shot 12” plates at 600 yds with it easily, but it’s slower for me on say 50 yard and in work. Mt primary 223 had a 1-4 and now a 1-8 and is better for me for closer range shooting. We camp in what passes for remote areas in Ohio and have had issues prompting me to have a hunting rifle that can be used for gun fighting

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    M1A
    Lol.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    None. They are what they are. Part of this is physics. Bigger heavier parts. Bigger heavier rounds etc

Unless someone is giving you free .308 it's an unrealistic concern. And if you understand and can differentiate "fighting with a gun" vs "shooting" the popularity and success of intermediate caliber weapons with higher capacity/ rates of fire is clear.

The 5.56 AR has a 60-year learning curve of improvements to the guns, magazines and ammunition. Over 8 million AR/M16/M4 variants have been produced. The only comparable system is the AK's.

None of the "other" AR calibers have anywhere near the "learning curve" or refinement of AR's in 5.56.

There is a lot of romantic nonsense about older, obsolescent 7.62 platforms like the Garand, M14, FAL, G3, etc - all come from an era when round counts, especially in training were much lower. Most are inferior to a modern AR-10 like the LMT or 417.

In a SHTF scenario you are going to die from drinking bad water or an infected cut before you have to wear football armor and make a machete out of a lawn mower blade and duct tape because your LMT MWS failed.
    My interest in a reliable, durable semi-auto .308 is more in the context of an all-around rifle than purely a fighting rifle, to include hunting of medium-to-large quadrupeds. 5.56/.223 can do the job with judicious ammo selection and good shot placement, but in my observation, the larger calibers do better. So I could see the attraction in a truly reliable, durable .308 as a general purpose rifle to serve all needs including taking down medium-to-large animals.

Site Supporter
    Far more concerned with food/water/first aid and a lack of reasoning expressed by other citizens.

For a rifle, AR15 all day long, with a suppressed .22LR upper in the backpack.

User Tag List