Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: SHTF AR 10 or AR 15?

Of course, this could be a good excuse for a FAL or HK91 pattern rifle...
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Beat Trash View Post
    I used a DDM4V7 as my Patrol Rifle at work for my last few years prior to retirement. I own a few of them now. The DDV7 can surprise you with the right optics and a good heavy weight round. We issued the Winchester Ranger 64 gr bonded round loaded to 5.56mm pressure. I participated in three ballistic workshops where this round was tested. It's impressive...

The 77 gr OTM is also a good round for what you're asking the gun to do for you.

Something like your DDV7 or the Gisele Super Duty with good ammunition and I feel you'd be ok during a SHTF incident.

I personally don't see the need for you to go with an AR10.
    I am thinking the same thing .... Thanks!

I feel like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders ... I am a very deep thinker in regard to self-defense and physical fitness.

Thanks to all ... very much appreciated!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Of course, this could be a good excuse for a FAL or HK91 pattern rifle...
    A .308 battle rifle is already a marginal concept.

Why add an obsolescent pattern weapon which is inferior to a modern AR-10. Both of the AR-10s the OP mentioned are just as reliable as a G3 or FAL clone, with better mechanical accuracy, a better trigger, better optics mounting options better options for mounting enablers like lights and lasers and don’t involve a different manual of arms.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Mitchum View Post
    I feel like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders ... I am a very deep thinker in regard to self-defense and physical fitness.

Thanks to all ... very much appreciated!
    Here is a good breakdown of the bag gun concept I mentioned earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    A .308 battle rifle is already a marginal concept.

Why add an obsolescent pattern weapon which is inferior to a modern AR-10. Both of the AR-10s the OP mentioned are just as reliable as a G3 or FAL clone, with better mechanical accuracy, a better trigger, better optics mounting options better options for mounting enablers like lights and lasers and don’t involve a different manual of arms.
    Only for the cool factor, because they're pretty cool. Kinda like buying a High Power.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Only for the cool factor, because they're pretty cool. Kinda like buying a High Power.
    That’s why I built a FAL 25 years ago! Not what I would grab for serious social purposes, but a lot of fun regardless.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Two things I haven't seen mentioned that are also demerits for the large frame is the issue of pickiness with ammo and the ability to self-trace.

In my circle of friends, it seems like the large frame ARs tend to be much pickier with ammo than AR-15s. For example, my SR-25 does fine with Federal Gold Medal (1 MOA), but not very well with most bonded rounds (Gold Dot, Fusion, AccuBond, etc. are typically 2 to 3 MOA), and absolutely hates normal ball ammo (6 to 8 MOA). One of my friends can't get his home-brew to group worth a shit even with factory match ammo (haven't played too much with handloads), though his home assembled AR-15s are all just fine.

Then there's the fact that the larger amount of recoil of the large frame makes it much harder to self-trace (watching your bullet/splash through your own optic) and thus self-correct. With my SR-25, using an ATACR 1-8× at full power, I am unable to self-trace consistently within 200 yards, even when prone using a pack as a rest and in a stable position utilizing natural point of aim, both with a full-sized suppressor (SOCOM762-RC) and a brake (SureFire 2 chamber), and thus would need a spotter to tell me what corrections I would need to do. With my AR-15 with a Kahles k16i at full power, I have zero issues self-tracing at essentially any distance, when prone and in a stable position.

My SR25 only has issues with particularly weak ammo. But that is to be expected given the rifle's operating parameters were around suppressed use IIRC. As for recoil, mine isnt bad at all, less than my SCAR17 which is very good too. Accuracy is excellent. Reliability has been fantastic. Mine is an earlier SR25 EMC for reference. I find it to be entirely my most versatile rifle. I can practically run it like an M4 as well as extend out to 800 yds or more. Now as for 5.56 vs 308 for SD, I seem to remember Dr. Roberts posting here on PF that he would choose the 308?

200 yds seems like an awfully short distance for trying to pick up trace?

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Nothing here particularly new but backs up pretty much everything that has been said:

https://www.everydaymarksman.co/podc...-basic-armory/

My AR10 has been a great rifle and I like it very much. Been completely reliable for me and more than accurate. But it is heavy and proprietary. It does have a place in my "Scenario X" planning being a SAPR for point defense and support (I have a lot of open area) during a bug in, but if I would ever need to go mobile it would be left behind. Being a "Gun Nerd" with a collection I have to keep discipline between my "Serious Guns" and my "Toys/Collectables." While there can be some overlap I really don't see me defending the home with a SVT-42....

I think a .308 rifle can make a good addition to many people's "plans", but it is a secondary support role to be filled only after the primary needs are met.

User Tag List