Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Conditioning workouts

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Interesting...
    I have only substituted KBs for TB deads when I either was feeling stale or nursing an injury.

Now that I have a slow healing forearm injury which limits what I can handle without too much discomfort...it may be time to switch things up again.

I enjoy sandbags, KBs and dumbbells anyway...but I don't think I'll be swinging any up for my shoulder work presently. Too hard on the forearm.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I have only substituted KBs for TB deads when I either was feeling stale or nursing an injury.

Now that I have a slow healing forearm injury which limits what I can handle without too much discomfort...it may be time to switch things up again.

I enjoy sandbags, KBs and dumbbells anyway...but I don't think I'll be swinging any up for my shoulder work presently. Too hard on the forearm.
    Hope the forearm heals up!

For me, the TB dead sort of replaced my low bar back squat for a while because my shoulder was too shitty to handle externally rotating enough to hold the bar in place for the low bar squat, but I've not had access to a trap bar for a while so now that I have, it's been surprising how much strength I've held on to (or even gained).

I can only attribute it to either A.) running a marathon or B.) doing KB swings. Either that or I never really did much to check what my max strength was. Idk. I'm terrible at the weight training thing tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    I am maybe becoming a fan of kettelbells and long slow duration cardio.

Not having done any trap bar deadlifts in what like 2 years? I went back to the gym the other day and picked up way WAY more weight than I've ever done, without a belt or anything.

I'm looking basically for something that will help prevent injury in BJJ, strengthen my body for greater speed when running a marathon, and still giving me some strength so I won't get injured at my job. The KB swing with a 35lb bell seems to be working so far...I'm also doing a KB shoulder press to work on rehabbing my (always) busted up left shoulder from my having been an idiot one time and not tapping to an Americana.
    I think simple KB swings rehabbed a partially (re)torn rotator cuff. Was using a 30 pounder; bumped to 40 not too long ago and am already thinking about bumping up again...
    All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
    No one is coming. It is up to us.

Not having done any trap bar deadlifts in what like 2 years? I went back to the gym the other day and picked up way WAY more weight than I've ever done, without a belt or anything.

I'm looking basically for something that will help prevent injury in BJJ, strengthen my body for greater speed when running a marathon, and still giving me some strength so I won't get injured at my job. The KB swing with a 35lb bell seems to be working so far...I'm also doing a KB shoulder press to work on rehabbing my (always) busted up left shoulder from my having been an idiot one time and not tapping to an Americana.
    Great free resource for kettlebells: https://www.reddit.com/r/Kettleballs/wiki/index/

I have digital copies of a few Dan John books, if you want to peruse, just DM me. Although his old T-nation articles are also great: https://www.t-nation.com/author/dan-john/
    "It was the fuck aroundest of times, it was the find outest of times."- 45dotACP

That's what the Pavel/Strongfirst/RKC types call the "What the Hell Effect" of kettlebells. The swing seems to help with deadlifts (the KB swing is a hinge like the deadlift), so there are lots of anecdotes about deadlifts going up after taking a break from deadlifting and only swinging KBs. But folks also report getting stronger in other areas despite the swing or snatch or another kettlebell movement not hitting that muscle group directly - like getting stronger in pullups just from swinging KBs or doing Turkish getups.

https://www.strongfirst.com/what-the-hell/

https://breakingmuscle.com/the-what-...es-everything/

User Tag List