Thread: Is 9mm Over Penetration Over Blown?

Is 9mm Over Penetration Over Blown?

With quality proven self defense 9mm ammo is over penetration an over blown concern inside structures like a typical home?

Or has this been taken into account and somewhat mitigated with the design of modern duty ammo?
    Are you loyal to the constitution or the “institution”?

"Typical" varies greatly based on when the house was built. My dad built a house in 2017, and I wouldn't count on exterior walls to stop a 9mm.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Will Federal HST and Gold Dots exit Hardie Plank siding?

What about interior walls, I know the rounds can potentially pass through several sheetrock walls but is this a concern for LE or not so much?
    Are you loyal to the constitution or the “institution”?

Hardie board is what I have, interesting to know here on a small city lot.

What is the most common risk to bystanders, shoot through a felon, shoot through a wall, miss?
    Code Name: JET STREAM

I would not rely on cement boarding to stop bullets

It’s not just 9mm. Pretty much any good defensive ammunition will penetrate multiple interior walls while still maintaining enough velocity and mass to do serious damage to people on the other side. The whole point of the majority of the tests in the FBI protocol is to see what the rounds do after passing through intermediate barriers. Almost nothing used to build a modern American residential structure will stop bonded/barrier-blind defensive ammunition. The safest backstop is the bad guy.

Missing is the issue.

Actual documented issues where someone shot through their intended target and had the projectile exit and strike person with enough energy to do substantial damage have been exceedingly rare. There are however no shortage of examples where people shoot at someone and hit someone else. That "someone else" can be in a home, or on the street, or have whatever intermediate barrier between them and the shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    The safest backstop is the bad guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    Missing is the issue.
    This about sums it up.

Pistol bullets of almost all types and calibers will penetrate interior walls and still be dangerous. Surprisingly 5.56mm/.223, even most of the barrier blind LE loads, are "safer" after passing through walls. Still not something to rely on. Best practice is don't miss.

IIRC, the overpenetration issue vis a vis is penetrating through a human target with enough energy to penetrate into another human. Penetrating building materials was not a consideration.

User Tag List