Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Help me spend money, lighter CCW

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    An honest question for those who have G42s that run - is it THAT much more shootable over, say, an LCP? .
    I am a late adopter, only had mine since late 2020 when I bought it blue label (GSSF), and it runs better than any 380 I have ever owned including P230, PPK, P290, Colt Mustang (two versions), LCP, AMT, Keltec, Bersa, Kahr, and probably a few others I don't remember. It is also the most shootable.

I can run through a 150 round range session with no fear and no pain. I love going to the club and working the plate racks at 15 yards with that little sucker. Strangers come up and ask me what is that little thing....

It could easily be luck of the draw and I got the best one they made. All I did was sights (Ameriglo) and grip tape plus I am privileged to own one of the SCD's for it. I swap out the recoil spring every 2K rounds as a precaution because they are cheap. I only run the 6 round factory mags with no extensions. Its only holsters are a Galco ankle glove and a Mika Pocket holster. Feed mine Gold Dots or Underwood solid penetrators for serious social purposes. I consider it the first 380 in 35 years that I have ever had that was worth owning.
    Support the Second Amendment Foundation and the Firearms Policy Coalition, join and give!

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    An honest question for those who have G42s that run - is it THAT much more shootable over, say, an LCP? I'm looking for an uber concealable pocket rocket for multiple weddings in NPEs this summer/fall, and I'm worried that the G42 will be "bigger" enough in the pocket that it will be more noticeable. I'm thinking of something for Craig's "PCP" application, and would just get a P32, but I'm f'ing cheap and hate buying expensive, hard to find ammo...
    There is no comparison between the G42 and LCP. I could probably shoot an entire training day (500+ rounds) with the G42 without blinking an eye. The recoil is minimal (much more like 22 LR) and the there is no snap/sting at all if that makes any sense. The LCP (I have one too) I'd be done after a couple boxes...it's snappy.

Size wise I use an Uncle Mikes pocket holster and in most shorts/pants it looks like a have larger smartphone in my pocket. In a vest or jacket pocket it simply disappears. The G42 is very lightweight when loaded, less than a S&W 442. It's truly one of those guns you can actually forget you have on you, but can still get good tight and fast groupings at 25 yards.

I only use the factory 6 round mags (no extensions) and have a tritium front sight with bright yellow ring and a black rear sight (I can't remember which brand they are).

Site Supporter
    I had a LCP and I could shoot it reasonably but it wasn't a favorite. The G42 is much better. The DeSantis holster in my Duluth pants is almost not noticeable. One thing, the pants has a little inner pocket in the main pocket that holds an extra mag upright and easy to get to. Not a match speed reload but easier than a 432 speed strip.

I'm all for a belt gun and extra mags but if circumstances warrant, both guns work.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

So pro-G42 arguments are commonality with my wife, familiar manual of arms and PMs and no need to add an additional caliber to stock, 1 more round loaded to full mag+1 than the revolver, lighter weight and flatter profile in a tuckable IWB holster along with faster reloads that will never happen. 😝

Pros for the LCR option would be jacket pocket carry, double action trigger, contact shooting at the cost of harder to find ammo, learning a new manual of arms (last time I played with one in the toy shop I couldn't get the cylinder to open until I remembered it wasn't a Smith, my only revolver experience), slower reloads.

Sig p365 cons could be finding out that I need to swap out all my Glocks and parts and mags for Sigs.🤔😁

I appreciate everyone contributing. Really helped me gel some thoughts I have had running through my head.

I am still open to anti G42 arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by Crow Hunter View Post
    So pro-G42 arguments are commonality with my wife, familiar manual of arms and PMs and no need to add an additional caliber to stock, 1 more round loaded to full mag+1 than the revolver, lighter weight and flatter profile in a tuckable IWB holster along with faster reloads that will never happen. 😝

Pros for the LCR option would be jacket pocket carry, double action trigger, contact shooting at the cost of harder to find ammo, learning a new manual of arms (last time I played with one in the toy shop I couldn't get the cylinder to open until I remembered it wasn't a Smith, my only revolver experience), slower reloads.

Sig p365 cons could be finding out that I need to swap out all my Glocks and parts and mags for Sigs.🤔😁

I appreciate everyone contributing. Really helped me gel some thoughts I have had running through my head.

I am still open to anti G42 arguments.
    Don't forget that a loaded G42 is substantially lighter than both the LCR and P365. Not that I'm biased or anything.

Welp, thank you all.

I just took my g42 off consignment this evening.

why am I like this

Quote Originally Posted by parishioner View Post
    Welp, thank you all.

I just took my g42 off consignment this evening.

why am I like this
    It is a fantastic gun

Site Supporter
    The G42 is thin, light, easy and actually fun to shoot. We have two - his and hers. She will shoot all of the .380 ammunition through hers. Other centerfire pistols, she will usually only shoot a magazine or less.

I also have and carry airweight .38 Special Jframes, loaded with FGMM wadcutters. They do usually get tiresome after about half a box. I mostly practice with a steel framed Jframe.

I found myself swiping her G42 to go to the gym or go running or go play tennis, so I bought mine. It still gets carried for athletics, and other very low profile discrete carry.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Thanks so much, my friend! Appreciate the kind words. Hopefully you find the content entertaining... and informative.

This link references an article from 2012 about Navy SEALs carrying the PPS: https://defensereview.com/walther-pp...onsoperations/

It's my understanding that SEALs acquire and carry whatever guns they want... so we're not talking, like, a "standard-issue" SEAL pistol, per se. But, clearly, some SEALs liked the PPS and carried it. Which, I think, is a decent endorsement.

"I'm not a Navy SEAL--but I did carry a Walther PPS last night."

I don't typically love SFA guns with Glock-style triggers. But the PPS surprised me. I can't really say it's trigger is good... but most commonly accepted criteria. But it's good enough to allow for excellent shootability. I'd loooove to see a PPS in Walther's AS | DA/SA configuration. But, even as is... I really like the little pistols. They just seem tough--like little duty pistols. A few people put PPSs through the 2000 round challenge, here on PF: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ther#post50741 (post #74).

I don't have a PPS review on HT, yet. But I will at some point. Though I do have a thread on it over at the Walther Forum: https://www.waltherforums.com/thread...de-wow.131744/
    I wish HK would hurry up and release their sub single stack. I owned a PPS a long time ago and really liked it. I remember the magazines having alligator teeth when trying to reload the pistol quickly. Other than that, I don’t remember having any complaints with it. I don’t like the rounded grip and button release at all compared to the original.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    I am a late adopter, only had mine since late 2020 when I bought it blue label (GSSF), and it runs better than any 380 I have ever owned including P230, PPK, P290, Colt Mustang (two versions), LCP, AMT, Keltec, Bersa, Kahr, and probably a few others I don't remember. It is also the most shootable.
    Quote Originally Posted by KevH View Post
    There is no comparison between the G42 and LCP. I could probably shoot an entire training day (500+ rounds) with the G42 without blinking an eye. The recoil is minimal (much more like 22 LR) and the there is no snap/sting at all if that makes any sense. The LCP (I have one too) I'd be done after a couple boxes...it's snappy.
    Quote Originally Posted by G19Fan View Post
    It is a fantastic gun
    Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    The G42 is thin, light, easy and actually fun to shoot. We have two - his and hers. She will shoot all of the .380 ammunition through hers. Other centerfire pistols, she will usually only shoot a magazine or less.
    You people are horrible. Now I need to go look at having the ".380 experience" after I get done with my .22. Geez and I thought I was finished with Glocks.

User Tag List