Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Help me spend money, lighter CCW

I am a fan of the G42 as a very lightweight, easy to shoot gun for specific purposes.It handles very much like my full size Glocks. I have used it for occasional use but its primary use for me is for running, cycling. I have done marathons with it as well and can not complain(including a few Ultras). For my usage the weight difference between the G43 and G42 was significant enough to discount the G42. It replaced my LCP which even though was smaller, i found the G42 much easier to shoot under stress in classes including malfunction clearance, reloads etc.
    Having said that, I do understand it is .380.

Disclaimer, I put less rounds through any of my weapons than anyone on here probably. I focus on what I will carry and will remain proficient with out to 25 yards. Just not the same amount of rounds down range as when I was much younger. Damage in hands has reduced my grip strength to the point that I need the pinky for that extra kick in shooting now. I still practice drawing from holster and dry firing nightly. But range time is a short once a week outing of maybe 20/25 rounds. It’s all my hands can handle. So take what I say for what it’s worth.

From the three you mentioned, I like the G43 as a belt option. I think the G43 is too heavy for my pockets, but I did make it work when I would carry in a NPE at work (cause my orange apron would help hide it.) due to longer shots would be needed. My G43 wears a grip sleeve for added bulk. The LCR is my second choice, namely the 357mag version, due to the extra weight and it just seemed to handle better for me than the lighter 38 version. Again, for belt carry. The LCR’s stock grip is great. I could never get a secure grip with the boot grip a lot on here really like. Have used the Hamre Forged grip and that would be my recommendation. Not sure if I spelled that right.

Hard to pass on the G42, it’s a doable pocket pistol if you have the pockets for it. It doesn’t draw well from my pockets. It’s a wonderful belt pistol, you barely know it’s there due to such a low weight. I have carried mine in a Detective Shoulder Holster for traveling and in the winter. Also have a couple of ankle holsters for it. It’s only failing for me is it’s so small, I have to put a hogue grip on it to keep it from moving around, even though it a very light recoiling pistol. It’s not the recoil, but it has caused a malfunction but it’s user error I admit. Same with the 365s, they just bounce around in my hand and never felt secure enough to not have malfunctions cause by my weak grip. I might try to layer grip tape on one side and the back of the G42, when I give it another chance because let’s be real here it’s a great pistol.

For “also runs”, hard to pass on the 642/442 as a get off me weapon. A change of grips might help or extra material on the back strap with wrap on it. Both helped me, as did using wad cutters. Someone smarter than me said, “nothing draws like a j frame from a pocket,” and it’s true.

One thing I will say about the G43/G42, I swapped out their magazine release for a Tango Down low profile one and it’s the first time I NEVER had a magazine release in my pocket or when carrying IWB. Amazing stuff and worth it to me.

Good luck!
    Jerry
    Professionally Trained Service Dog. Not dogs with issues! LOL unless you are talking about my mutts.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Haven't yet gotten my hands on one, but a 432/632UC seems to hit the sweet spot for a light CCW gun. Six shots, reasonably effective rounds are available, capable of being carried in and shot from a pocket.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Haven't yet gotten my hands on one, but a 432/632UC seems to hit the sweet spot for a light CCW gun. Six shots, reasonably effective rounds are available, capable of being carried in and shot from a pocket.
    The only downside I see to the 432 is ammo availability. The 32 is very tempting with lower recoil and additional round. I may eventually give in and just buy the components needed to add a caliber to reload. Currently 9 and 38 make life simple.

Site Supporter
    I strongly prefer a snub for the small gun role. Both the J-Frame and LCR are great. I used a pair of LCR's in 327 ( loaded with 32Long) for my small gun needs for a couple years. The Hamre Forge grips are phenomenal for that gun. I've since gone back to using just J-Frames as I consolidated some of my defensive equipment. The availability of CT Lasergrips and not having 2 sets of snub holsters simplified things for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Crow Hunter View Post
    I have never shot a G43 but I owned a g43x for a little while and I found it uncomfortable for extended practice.
    If you did not care for the G43X you will not like the G43. I found mine to be punishing and accuracy was a challenge. A G48 is noticeably more comfortable and more accurate in my hands than a G43

I have never shot a LCR before but I have owned several Smith j-frames and they hurt my right hand thumb knuckle to shoot. Felt like a needle in the base of my thumb. I was always shooting 130 gr WWB, never wad cutters in both air weight and steel frame versions.
    An LCR might be slightly more comfortable to shoot than a J-frame but it is noticeably more challenging to pocket carry. After trial and error over the years I have found that J-frames work best for me with a modified Lost River grip mod (Limbsaver archery strip + hockey tape) loaded with either 110 grain Hornady or 148 grain wadcutters. The crimson trace grips help with accuracy. The 642 is "fine" to shoot. At some point I am going to Dremel the cylinder latch on my 342 as it beats my thumb like my thumb owes it money. The 43C with the Apex kit is great fun to shoot, super easy to carry, and I suppose is better than no-gun. Minka is my preferred holster for pocket carry.

I would like to try one of the new "ultimate" j-frames in .32 once the prices settle down.

Name:  FAE06EF6-0246-45F4-8104-EE93CF42D42F.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  53.3 KB

G43 has my vote !

My area has gotten noticeably more dangerous of late. I am in a relatively rural area but not far enough, unfortunately. My G19 is great when I have a belt and have time to get the holster on and situated.

I don't always dress in a way that I can carry like that. Particularly when I take a walk down the road, which I do almost every day for exercise or if I go outside for a little while to do something and I am not wearing jeans.

Something lighter that I could clip onto my pants would be better than the G19 in the house or the machete in the garage.

I appreciate the ideas.

I an not set on any of the options other than the weight. 20 Oz or less seems to be a sweet spot for that type of carry for me personally. My wife's G42 seems to work okay, but I wonder if a snub wouldn't be better. If I can get one that doesn't feel like I am holding the back end of a wasp when I pull the trigger.😂

Quote Originally Posted by Crow Hunter View Post
    My area has gotten noticeably more dangerous of late. I am in a relatively rural area but not far enough, unfortunately. My G19 is great when I have a belt and have time to get the holster on and situated.

I don't always dress in a way that I can carry like that. Particularly when I take a walk down the road, which I do almost every day for exercise or if I go outside for a little while to do something and I am not wearing jeans.

Something lighter that I could clip onto my pants would be better than the G19 in the house or the machete in the garage.

I appreciate the ideas.

I an not set on any of the options other than the weight. 20 Oz or less seems to be a sweet spot for that type of carry for me personally. My wife's G42 seems to work okay, but I wonder if a snub wouldn't be better. If I can get one that doesn't feel like I am holding the back end of a wasp when I pull the trigger.😂
    How about an Enigma Express for the Glock 19? I like it for the type of carry you’re describing.

Unless you have a specific reason, the answer to "what" mid size is almost always a Gen 5 19 MOS, and to what slimline is almost always some flavor of a 365 (except a 365 in .380).
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List