Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Help me spend money, lighter CCW

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    How about an Enigma Express for the Glock 19? I like it for the type of carry you’re describing.
    I don't know. Is it something that I could put on and take off relatively quickly? I don't have any experience with any of the enigma holsters.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Unless you have a specific reason, the answer to "what" mid size is almost always a Gen 5 19 MOS, and to what slimline is almost always some flavor of a 365 (except a 365 in .380).
    I have thought off an on about giving the sig P365/XL a whirl but haven't tried it yet. I have been hesitant due to my experience with the G43X which I found unpleasant to shoot for more than 50 rnds and a single go. I figured the P365 would be similar based on recoil velocity calculations.

I've owned the G43, G43X, G42, Hellcat, all non-comped versions of the P365, LCPs, LCP Max's, P3ATs, several LCRs, and both steel and alloy J-frames. I currently only own the P365 series.

I find the G43 to be very snappy and squirmy in recoil. There's basically no texture on those grips, for reasons unknown to man or beast. The G43X was only marginally better due to it's longer grip. Neither of them were easy to pocket carry, due to overall size. The G42 would jam 40-50% of the time when my wife shot it, because she just couldn't get a firm enough grip on it (worked fine for me). So, for me, the Glock slim lines are all hard passes.

The Hellcat was a horror show - terrible trigger, terrible reliability, had to go back to the factory twice before it would run well enough that I felt comfortable selling it. HARD pass.

The Ruger LCP is surprisingly shootable and reliable, but capacity challenged and doesn't lock back on empty. BUT, it's a reasonable "get off me" 7-10 yard gun. The two LCP Max's I've owned were both problematic on reliability (both needed to go back to the factory), both shot VERY far off factory sights (like 6-8" low at 10 yards), and gave a lot of trigger slap. Both went down the road.

The LCRs were awesome revolvers, reliable, lightweight with good triggers out of the box and decent (not great) sights. Recoil with anything but wadcutters and low-recoiling JHPs was NOT fun, and I've had lots of time with round guns. Of note, the only version of the LCP that's really light weight is the 38 - the 9mm and any Magnum versions are significantly heavier. LCRs, for reasons I can't fathom, are not well supported with accessories - specifically non-HKS "twist" style speed loaders. I STRONGLY prefer the Safariland style "push till it pops" speed loaders, which don't really exist for the LCRs.

With some notable exceptions, none of the J-frames are available with replaceable front sights, and all but limited editions have simple "trough" rear sights. Their triggers are heavier and, unfortunately frequently "grittier" than the LCRs. They're ever so slightly more svelte than the LCR, but heavier. They have better options on accessories. Steel J-frames are going to bust your weight target by a stretch.

Either round-gun option is going to require a lot of "retraining" with regard to grip, trigger action, and especially reloading.

For ME, the P365 is the pick of the litter. The original small P365 is smaller in every dimension than the G43, with significantly better capacity. I carry mine in an Alabama Holster pocket holster in my 5.11 shorts with no problem. The XL, for me, is the "sweet spot" between size/weight for concealment and shooting performance. It comes in JUST over your weight limit (20.7) ounces, but I think that's worth the cost of admission. All of the current P365s are optics ready from the factory, and Holosun's coming-to-market "mini" SCS is going to provide a really good enclosed carry optic option (the current EPS Compact is good as well).

I agree that the new "UC" J-frames are attractive - good sights, better trigger, available in 38 or 32. But, for me, except for winter coat pocket carry, I don't see the advantage of the revolver over the P365, given capacity, shootability, and handling advantages of the auto.

Sorry for the novel, hopefully this will help your process.

Quote Originally Posted by Crow Hunter View Post
    I have thought off an on about giving the sig P365/XL a whirl but haven't tried it yet. I have been hesitant due to my experience with the G43X which I found unpleasant to shoot for more than 50 rnds and a single go. I figured the P365 would be similar based on recoil velocity calculations.
    We were typing across each other.

Bottom line - no pistol is immune to physics. The smaller/lighter you go (unless you dramatically reduce chambering), the more felt recoil you're going to experience. For ME, the P365 recoils "less" than the G43, and the P365XL recoils "less" than the G43X.

BUT, I don't take either of those pistols to the range for "fun." A couple of magazines to confirm sights and keep familiarity with handling, and then I switch to something "fun" like a 2011 or .22...

I never thought I would rely on 380 ACP for anything, but the Glock 42 changed that.

I owned an early one and it would hiccup occasionally. On the suggestion of someone I trust I bought a more recent production one.

It is the smallest, slimmest, lightest when loaded, most accurate little gun I have ever shot.

I've also owned two Glock 43's in the past. While they might look the same, the newer G42 is leaps and bounds a better gun.

A S&W 442 was my go-everywhere "compromise" gun for over 15 years.

My Glock 42, loaded with Hornady XTP, took its place last January.

Site Supporter
    My G42 is going to a short range, small carry match in a couple of weeks. It was originally a jamming horror, but went back to the shop. Been ok for a few outings now. It alternated between an original 432. That used to be a cool gun but with the new ones - obsolescent but I have other expenses before getting an upgrade for a pocket gun.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Quote Originally Posted by Crow Hunter View Post
    I am looking for a 20 oz 'ish loaded option for occasional CCW duty when my normal 30 oz loaded is too heavy/bulky.

I think I have it narrowed down to a G43, G42, or a LCR.

…What has worked for you in the past?
    I’ve owned multiple copies of all three of those guns. As a tangential point of interest, I’ve shot both the 43 and the 42 at separate ECQC courses over the years, along with a J-frame, so, sort of equivalent.

BLUF: If I could only keep one, it would be the G42. IMHO, the whole point of having a small, NPE gun is to have a small NPE gun. Otherwise, life already gave us the G26, let alone a plethora of compact service gats.

In my hands, all but the first runs of the G42 have been very reliable, insanely accurate, and crazy easy to shoot. Plus, it disappears in a good concealment rig, and weighs little, by way of comparison.

The 43 and LCR are both much less fun to shoot, as others note, and FWIW. I agree that the 43’s margins are razor thin for reliability; new mags, compromised grip, the weather, if you woke up one the wrong side of the bed… for some insane reason, I’ve bought 3 of those things over the years (and sold the first two, because, not fun; razor’s edge of reliability) and they all need favorable conditions (eg. Square range, firm grip) to be considered G-reliable.

I don’t think I’d recommend the 42 as an only gun, but if one is specifically looking for a hideout option that actually performs, history has been surprisingly kind to the G42 over the last decade—possibly more so than history will be kind to the 43/43x iterations.

For the moment, it appears that the LCR has been eclipsed by those nifty Lipsey run 4 and 6xx guns—especially the 32 versions.

I really didn’t like shooting the LCR, and this is coming from a guy who A, had no issues running a 43 for a weekend class, and B, has shot 10s of K rounds through J-frames over the years.

Anyways, I ramble. G42 or one of the new hotness guns like the 432UC or that little Sig that everyone else seems to like. JMO.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

An honest question for those who have G42s that run - is it THAT much more shootable over, say, an LCP? I'm looking for an uber concealable pocket rocket for multiple weddings in NPEs this summer/fall, and I'm worried that the G42 will be "bigger" enough in the pocket that it will be more noticeable. I'm thinking of something for Craig's "PCP" application, and would just get a P32, but I'm f'ing cheap and hate buying expensive, hard to find ammo...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    An honest question for those who have G42s that run - is it THAT much more shootable over, say, an LCP? I'm looking for an uber concealable pocket rocket for multiple weddings in NPEs this summer/fall, and I'm worried that the G42 will be "bigger" enough in the pocket that it will be more noticeable. I'm thinking of something for Craig's "PCP" application, and would just get a P32, but I'm f'ing cheap and hate buying expensive, hard to find ammo...
    Not an LCP, but a Bodyguard 380 is incredibly snappy/ slightly painful where a G42 is closer to shooting a 22 or 380 EZ.

I like going from full size G19/17 to G42 because they can be shot at a similar cadence with minimal effort. A G43 or smaller pocket 380 than a 42, not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    I can't carry my wife's G42 I an Aholster in my Wrangler jeans without it looking like I have something really suspicious (gun) in my pocket.

I am 5'11" and around 160lbs. I wear 34" waist pants so i can IWB a G19 comfortably, but technically I should wear a 32" according to my wife and all my dress up clothes reflect her choices. 😁

That is my other reason for getting something lighter and thinner that won't be as noticeable when we go places I have to dress nicely for.🤮

User Tag List