Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RRA Poly 1911?

RRA Poly 1911?

@fatdog posted a pic of his RRA Poly, a pistol I had completely forgotten about. Who here is still using theirs? A quick read of older posts makes them sound like a very appealing alternative to a LW 5”.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    @fatdog posted a pic of his RRA Poly, a pistol I had completely forgotten about. Who here is still using theirs? A quick read of older posts makes them sound like a very appealing alternative to a LW 5”.
    I am wondering about the same thing. I also wonder if the thicker frame works with common holsters.

Site Supporter
    Mine carries well in a Garrity Invictus. For kydex, I was told by the customer service people to use a 2011 holster. I have a bladetech 2011 OWB that holds it fine for range stuff.

For the 900 bucks I paid for it, the gun is a better value than most 900 dollar 1911s. It's reliable, smooth shooting, and the gripe I had was easily resolved (stiff thumb safety) and you can tell the barrel was fitted by the dudes at RRA because the things a laser beam.

Here's a bit of info from a few years ago.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/con...-1911-pistols/

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    They produced some of these in 9mm but I don't think they ever brought them to market.

RRA seems to have a habit of showing new pistols at SHOT that never get fully developed.

I'm actually more interested in a 45 anyway.

1. JMCK models for the Springfield railed 1911 fit perfectly as do one leather holster I bought

2. Grip was too large for me initiatially, and the long screw bushings are embedded in the frame. I paid my gunsmith to carefully hand file them down to take thin grip screws and once I had a set of think Kydex grips in place it was Goldilocks just the right circumference for me.

3. I had a pair of these and sold one off, but both came with poor extractors, one with no tension and the other lost its tension. I replaced them with Wilson bulletproof extractors and everything is just dandy since my gunsmith fitted them and hand filed the rear to be flush with the slide, that has been the only part failure on either gun

4. Frame is not standard so I don't know what one would do about getting an ambi safety fitted, might be something a good gunsmith could do with a 2011 sized set?

5. Shoots like a steel government model mostly in terms of recoil but lighter by enough margin it is easy to carry, I suspect the frame soaks up some recoil.

6. Sight dovetails are standard but not the same, I think the rear is Novak and the front is something else but I cannot remember what. I did a U notch in the rear that came with it and it has been good enough I have not thought about replacing what came with it.

7. Out of the box trigger on both of mine was about 4.5-4.75 lbs, plenty good enough for me.

8. If you wanted a magwell, no idea how to accomplish that on the non standard frame......

9, First summer I wore this thing a lot I ended up putting some rust freckling on the slide, be watchful if you live in the tropical climate places like I do, some steel wool and ezox fixed it, but slide might be worth a cerracote job in the future...
    Last edited by fatdog; 04-07-2024 at 11:25 AM.
    Support the Second Amendment Foundation and the Firearms Policy Coalition, join and give!

Interesting. The price of these has gone waaaay up, MSRP is over $2k now.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

I thought I remembered reading something about full standard parts compatibility including the safety. If going for a lighter gun someday I’d potentially give a used one of these the nod over an aluminum government model, but definitely not if an ambi safety isn’t a thing. I’d at minimum need one of those and a different trigger.

The thicker grip is an attractive feature for me. I really like my new-to-me Les Baer because of the thicker front strap, which gives my support hand more room to get on the gun. This sounds like it may play as well or better with my long fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwin View Post
    ....I’d potentially give a used one of these the nod over an aluminum government model....
    I don't know what Ruger has done to lower its pricing but this would seem to be a solid value for a LW Government Model.

https://ruger.com/products/sr1911Sta...eets/6792.html

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Interesting. The price of these has gone waaaay up, MSRP is over $2k now.
    Damn....I definitely wouldn't say it's worth that. It'd be cool in a 4.25 inch 9mm but RRA never really seemed to do much with their 1911s, which I felt like was a bummer, because their steel ones have that wood and blued steel vibe that I like so much.

User Tag List