Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Any Hockey Tape Users?

I've used weight lifting tape for my stock frame and I prefer it over skateboard or talon grips. It doesn't last very long but it is cheap. I add a dab of super glue to the end to keep the edge from peeling

My experience has been stippling > Talon Pro > Howie's Pro > stock texture, at least as far as Glocks. The work gun (and its twin I use when practicing) have Talon Pro grips and they're quite nice. The one on the work gun is overdue to be replaced (it's been on there for over a year) and is noticeably less grippy than the one on the practice gun which has been on just as long but mostly sitting in the safe. I find these work well for concealment, too, without grabbing onto a cover garment or wearing down an undershirt like the granulate version of the Talon does. I like that that Pro has a bit of give to it that doesn't seem to be present with the granulate.

I've put hockey tape on a couple guns that I didn't care to buy Talons for and haven't gotten around to stippling. It does get slightly tacky with damp hands, and like the Talon Pro, has a bit of give to it when getting aggressive with the grip, or at least it does when you wrap a whole bunch of it around the grip. Better than stock texture on a Glock, but not the best. Also useful for things like handheld lights where you want a bit more traction. It's cheap and easily replaced when it gets too frayed. Do use caution in applying it so as not to cover up the mag release... A coworker of mine got sloppy with it and it bunched up and slid up the grip of his gun, obstructing access to the mag release.

We can't modify our duty guns.

I used Talon grips for a few years but they were destroying the seats in my car and my uniforms.

I switched to this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's surprisingly effective. I find that as the tape gets dirty, it gets even better. It stays in place and doesn't migrate on the grip. I've been using this stuff since 2022 without any real complaints.

Stippling will always be better. Grit based tape will always be better but given my constraints, this stuff works really well and i'm pretty pleased.

No issues in the rain. No issues with sweaty hands.

I tried hocky tape for about 10 minutes. It didn't do much for me. I generally use stair no slip tape. I have both the sandpaper and the leather grain rubbery types. I like them both in different places. Sand paper on the front strap and on the lower half of the back strap. I like the top of the back strap smooth so my hand can slide up tight under the beavertail. I use the rubber on carry guns in about the same places. It helps grip w/o messing w/ clothing. I have also started cutting the rubber into 1/4" wide strips and wrapping 2 layers of it around the grip at the very bottom. It gives a feel that you hand is contained on the gun kind of like big magwell does. The rubber also responds well to a little heat to form it. For instance the end of my wrap can be smoothed out to almost disappear.

Site Supporter
    +1 On the Howie's tape, got a roll last week.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    3M Safety Tape:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0026SZJU0

Cut it to the shape of the exact spots you want more traction for on the pistol, degrease that area with isopropyl alcohol, then apply. It doesn't shed grit, it doesn't tear up clothes, and stays exactly where you want it for long periods. I have only had to reapply it on a pistol a couple of times in years of using it, but it will readily come off with no permanent residue when you want to remove it.

I tend to apply it in the silly "thumb rest" area of the pistol because that's where my support hand lands and I need a little more traction there:

Name:  mnpee.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  90.0 KB

...or on my Glock:

Name:  glocky17.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  45.8 KB
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    3M Safety Tape:

Cut it to the shape of the exact spots you want more traction for on the pistol, degrease that area with isopropyl alcohol, then apply. It doesn't shed grit, it doesn't tear up clothes, and stays exactly where you want it for long periods. I have only had to reapply it on a pistol a couple of times in years of using it, but it will readily come off with no permanent residue when you want to remove it.

I tend to apply it in the silly "thumb rest" area of the pistol because that's where my support hand lands and I need a little more traction there:

...or on my Glock:

I used 3M Safety-Walk 7731 for a bit, which is the black anti-slip tape, but have since switched to the 3M 7748NA, which is clear; the texture of the clear tape is actually gripper than that of the black for me, as the grit of the black seems to be finer. The clear is also nice to use on non-black guns if you want to somewhat maintain the color. I've used probably only a quarter of my 2"×60' roll, which I bought all the way back in 2015, used on three different guns, so that should give you an idea on the longevity of the tape.

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    3M Safety Tape:

...or on my Glock:

Is this a sandpaper like granulate material or is this like a talon grip with some sort of texturized "rubber"?

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    Is this a sandpaper like granulate material or is this like a talon grip with some sort of texturized "rubber"?
    Much more like sandpaper/skateboard tape. You've probably encountered it in the wild, where there's non-slip strips on the ground.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    It's a granulate material, but the granulate is securely held in place by some sort of top coating. So unlike actual skateboard tape it doesn't shed grit into your holster or into the gun. It also isn't sharp so it won't make you bleed like some other stuff I've tried over the years.

It's used on ladders and stairs as a non-slip surface. It's great stuff.
    3/15/2016

User Tag List