Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: HELP PLEASE --one 9mm pistol for carry, range, and HD!

Quote Originally Posted by HammerStriker View Post
    I'll give you guys a bit more info...

I currently own 4 pistols and really want to whittle that down to no more than 2. If I can get it down to 1, that'd be ideal, but I can see owning 2. I really don't want to own more than 2 pistols every again. lol. It isn't a money thing, I'm a minimalist and don't like having lots of things.

I have tried to conceal a G19 but feel its too much gun and pretty uncomfortable. I'm about 5'10", 170lbs, 32 in waist. I live in a state with a 10 round capacity, so don't need a pistol that holds any more.

The 4 pistols I currently own are:

1. Sig P365 with manual safety. It is optics ready, but I don't run an optic on this pistol. I like how it carries and I can shoot it pretty well (to my surprise).
    2. Springfield Hellcat Pro OSP. I love...LOVE... the way this pistol looks and feels...BUT...and this is a big BUT...I hate the way it shoots. It is so snappy. I just don't understand why I perceive the recoil impulse as even worse than my sig p365 (not xl). It is the only pistol that makes me flinch like crazy.
    3. Glock 19 Gen 5 with Holosun EPS. Soft shooting, and with the red dot it feels like cheating. BUT it is too bulky for me carry to carry daily. I like in a warm state and ofter wear fitted/light clothing.

4. CZ P01. Love the way it looks and shoot, but I would never consider carrying it. Too heavy and big for me. Fun to shoot though.

Ranking how these pistols shoot for me (from best to worst): G19/P01 (tie), P365, Hellcat Pro

I've owned the CZ P01 and the G19 the longest, and recently acquired the P365 and Hellcat Pro. I have shot the Hellcat pro only twice (~250 rounds) and it would easily be my favorite gun of all time if it wasn't so dang snappy. I love the form factor, ergos, grip texture, esthetics, and size...everything but the recoil impulse. I haven't had a problem with flinching since I was a new shooter, it is crazy how much I flinch when shooting the HC Pro. If I could have confidence that I'd be able to shoot the Hellcat as well as my G19 on day, or even the P365, I'd easily pick it.

I'm totally open to your suggestions and appreciate the feedback, please keep it coming. I can also see owning 2 pistols, 1 or range/HD, and the other for carry--maybe this would be a better way to go? I'm considering trying the 43x since it is similar to the HC Pro...
    One should have three of their carry gun

The 43x series has issues that may be relevant

What does LOL mean in the context of emergency rescue equipment?

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post

This. 3 of the carry gun imo, or, at least, 3 in the same series at worst (26/19/17 etc)

Also, I couldn’t edit my post in time, but as you mention here, it is obviously the 48/43x that are limited by federal agencies. Not the 365 as I said. My mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post

What does LOL mean in the context of emergency rescue equipment?
    What relevant issues does the 43x have?

I have never shot a 43x, but have shot the G26 a few times at can shoot it very well, just think the 26 is too thick for edc in summer clothes.
    NOT the YouTuber by the same name.

Quote Originally Posted by TOTS View Post
    Selling all but the G19 and using the money for a 43X or 48 and dot plus holster and ammo would give you the capability you want from only two weapons.
    This seems feasible. I really like the size of the hellcat pro and the 43x seems close to it. Anyone have any idea how the 43x shoots compared to the HC Pro? I know the 43x is a slime line pistol, how does it shoot?
    NOT the YouTuber by the same name.

Site Supporter
    What relevant issues does the 43x have?

I have never shot a 43x, but have shot the G26 a few times at can shoot it very well, just think the 26 is too thick for edc in summer clothes.
    Reliability of the slim Glocks (43, 43X, 48) is not equal to that of the service sized Glocks (G19/17/26/45/47). The slim blocks are noticeably more sensitive to grip, ammo and the addition of things which impact the cycle of operation such as lights, aftermarket magazines and optics.

Unlike service size Glock, which even Glock haters agree work, the slim Glocks are a divisive topic.

Some people have had them run great in stock form with certain ammo, but not run with other ammo or not run after switching from the stock 10 Round magazines to aftermarket higher capacity magazines. Or not run after adding an optic etc.

These issues have been well documented and debated ad nauseam here on PF, the search function is your friend.

The hellcat is probably one of the better striker fired guns from Springfield but they’ve had issues as well.

If you want a slim frame 9mm the P365 series is the recommendation of myself and many others on here.

And before the question comes up, no, the P365 is not just a shrunken P320. The P365 as a different fire control unit and uses a different/ more conventional internal striker safety. As such, there are no documented cases of the P365 exhibiting the safety issues seen with the P320 series.

I carried a Glock 26 for about a decade as an off duty / in office gun. It’s a viable EDC.

If time is your limited factor, you should pick one action type and stick with it. DA/SA and Striker are both viable but dividing limited training resources between two completely different guns is objectively illogical.

Didn’t you go down a similar rabbit hole here on PF a couple years ago?
    Last edited by HCM; 04-06-2024 at 09:57 PM.

I'm similar stature to you and a G26 conceals pretty well despite its thickness in summer with button-down shirts (better for me than a g19). However, if you are wearing polos - I am not so sure. I feel polos are awful for ccw aiwb/iwb due to the fabric and the way it hangs. That being said, summer carry a g26 is still a pain due to the weight (at least for me sometimes).

If you are minimalist (and that is the priority) - a g26 is the answer on paper for parts/mag compatibility.

Sounds likes you need to go to the Mike Pannone thread for the discussion of slim pistols.

I'll give you guys a bit more info...

I currently own 4 pistols and really want to whittle that down to no more than 2. If I can get it down to 1, that'd be ideal, but I can see owning 2. I really don't want to own more than 2 pistols every again. lol. It isn't a money thing, I'm a minimalist and don't like having lots of things.

I have tried to conceal a G19 but feel its too much gun and pretty uncomfortable. I'm about 5'10", 170lbs, 32" waist. I live in a state with a 10 round capacity, so don't need a pistol that holds any more.

The 4 pistols I currently own are:

1. Sig P365 with manual safety. It is optics ready, but I don't run an optic on this pistol. I like how it carries and I can shoot it pretty well (to my surprise).

2. Springfield Hellcat Pro OSP. I love...LOVE... the way this pistol looks and feels...BUT...and this is a big BUT...I hate the way it shoots. It is so snappy. I just don't understand why I perceive the recoil impulse as even worse than my sig p365 (not xl). It is the only pistol that makes me flinch like crazy.

3. Glock 19 Gen 5 with Holosun EPS. Soft shooting, and with the red dot it feels like cheating. BUT it is too bulky for me carry to carry daily. I live in a warm state and ofter wear fitted/light clothing.

4. CZ P01. Love the way it looks and shoot, but I would never consider carrying it. Too heavy and big for me. Fun to shoot though.

Ranking how these pistols shoot for me (from best to worst): G19/P01 (tie), P365, Hellcat Pro

I've owned the CZ P01 and the G19 the longest, and recently acquired the P365 and Hellcat Pro. I have shot the Hellcat pro only twice (~250 rounds) and it would easily be my favorite gun of all time if it wasn't so dang snappy. I love the form factor, ergos, grip texture, esthetics, and size...everything but the recoil impulse. I haven't had a problem with flinching since I was a new shooter, it is crazy how much I flinch when shooting the HC Pro. If I could have confidence that I'd be able to shoot the Hellcat as well as my G19 one day, or even the P365, I'd easily pick it.

I'm totally open to your suggestions and appreciate the feedback, please keep it coming. I can also see owning 2 pistols, 1 for range/HD, and the other for carry--maybe this would be a better way to go? I'm considering trying the 43x since it is similar to the HC Pro...
    Based on this feedback, I would suggest that you try a Wilson Combat grip module for your 365, and possibly the longer XL version. Being limited to 10-round magazines makes some other options not worth the effort, to my mind. Maybe have two slides, one with an optic and one with irons.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Site Supporter
    I am a Glock guy so my answer is Glock.

I am have strong minimalist tendencies. I got two pairs of pants and 7 gray tee shirts, maybe 8.

I would support having at least 2, 4 would still be better. Minimalism would be having the same gun or similar so all the holsters, parts, magazine are the same and minimal.

I got a gun for practice and a gun for carry. A bedside gun in a V-line safe and the gun set up in the Hill People Gear Bag. It eliminates a lot of load and unload and admin handling of guns. With small kids, it makes it simple and safer. Keeps my mistakes down.

Glock 19

...especially the Gen5 MOS variety.

It's still the do-it-all-dolly. Nothing, not the Macro or anything else, can match the balance of shoot-ability, carry-ability, utter reliability, simplicity, and price.

It just everything really well.

Site Supporter
    I'd say the PX4 Compact. Effortless accuracy with an exceedingly plush, pillowy recoil impulse. It's dreamy.

But if G19s and P-01s are too bulky for you (and, I agree--they are), the PX4c probably ain't gonna be any better. It's a little shorter, but it's fat.

For a small/thin striker-fired gun, I've been impressed with the Walther PPS. Excellent ergos, shoots to POA with no fuss, manageable recoil impulse and they're known to be reliable. Someone on PF even successfully completed a 2,000 round challenge with one: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ll=1#post50741 Post #74

I have the M1, but the M2 is the same gun with a more rounded grip and a button mag release. They both feel good in the hand. I legitimately enjoy shooting mine. Seems extremely accurate. It's a single-stack, of course. So maybe that's a DB. But they're really nice guns and underrated, in my opinion. And very affordable. Hell, I don't even like Glock-style triggers--and they still shoot really well for me.

Name:  85CE67B6-82DE-4EB8-A93D-6C8CC1BA6BB1.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  28.6 KB

I even bought a second one... bc they're like, legit, <$300.

Name:  50DA4DC6-2542-47CB-856A-8DCABE2CF7D0.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  61.2 KB
    Last edited by MattyD380; 04-07-2024 at 01:41 AM.
    For astute purveyors of pew: hipstertactical.com

User Tag List