Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HELP PLEASE --one 9mm pistol for carry, range, and HD!

HELP PLEASE --one 9mm pistol for carry, range, and HD!

All,

I'm looking for help with finding a 9mm pistol to do it all. The G19 used to be the default answer, but these days there are offerings with great capacity that carry (and maybe even shoot?) better than the G19.

If you were starting today and wanted 1 9mm pistol (no revolvers please) to serve as your range gun, HD weapon, and CCW pistol, which would you choose?

Appreciate the help!
    NOT the YouTuber by the same name.

Sig 365 Macro or Gen5 G19.

Quote Originally Posted by HammerStriker View Post
    All,

I'm looking for help with finding a 9mm pistol to do it all. The G19 used to be the default answer, but these days there are offerings with great capacity that carry (and maybe even shoot?) better than the G19.

If you were starting today and wanted 1 9mm pistol (no revolvers please) to serve as your range gun, HD weapon, and CCW pistol, which would you choose?

Appreciate the help!
    M&P9 2.0 compact or Glock 19.

I would absolutely get a Macro and a bunch of different grip modules if I could only have “one” for some reason.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    I would absolutely get a Macro and a bunch of different grip modules if I could only have “one” for some reason.
    This

X Macro Tacops and a bunch a grip modules and mags.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    X Macro Tacops and a bunch a grip modules and mags.
    This.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by davisj View Post
    Sig 365 Macro or Gen5 G19.
    This ^^^^.

A Glock 19 GEN 5 MOS is still THE answer.

The 365 MACRO or S&W M&P 2.0 Compact are also reasonable options.

There is no one size fits all that’s why I recommend even institutions provide a menu of reasonable choices.

After trying basically everything (and I mean that genuinely), I’ve gone back to the G19 for this role myself. I can shoot it like a full-size basically and it carries totally fine *for me* (I’m a bigger guy) in a quality holster. Something you didn’t mention, but since I want to also use my “1 gun” in competition, I like access to +6 baseplates from Arredondo. I also like SCD compatibility.

I’d also look at the Macro of course. I don’t personally shoot it as well as a G19, but it’s a great gun that carries really well, especially if you need something thinner/are smaller. Though I can’t run it as well as a G19 (could be due to a myriad of unique personal factors), it definitely shoots better than the other major slimlines in my experience. You have a ton of grip module options here, too. I will say that it not being recommended by a federal agency or two with optics/lights is a bit concerning to me though.

If I were making a list of things for a “1 gun,” I’d obv need it accurate/reliable/shootable, but I’d also want it to be polymer (weight), 15+ round capacity, optic compatible (I prefer cut to a specific optic but there are great plates now for the MOS system), and with great aftermarket support. The last point is important because if I can’t get a high quality holster, find mags/accessories, get OEM replacement parts for slide/frame, then I can’t really run it like I want to. YMMV of course and I’m not an expert. HCM is an expert here and has the data from federal agencies to back up his opinions.
    Last edited by Kirk; 04-06-2024 at 07:38 PM.

Site Supporter
    For me, daily carry is the most important facet of gun ownership. I’d much rather press a carry gun into an HD role than try to carry a gun I can’t conceal.

Therefore, the answer will completely depend on what YOU can comfortably and confidently carry everyday.

If you can comfortably carry and conceal a G19 or larger pistol, then there’s no reason not to get whatever double stack service 9mm you like the most.

If you can’t, and many can’t, look at a slimmer pistol. 365 series is the default answer. As many others have said, a Macro gives up little or nothing in shootability and capacity to a larger gun anyway, AND can be sized down easily.

I’m very partial to the Glock trigger system/SCD so my one gun solution would be a Glock 43X and roll the dice on high cap aftermarket mags until something worked, or just live with 10 round OEM.

ETA: almost anyone can carry a duty pistol in flannel and coat season. For a true one gun solution, it would have to work in the summer and any NPE needs too.
    Last edited by Noah; 04-06-2024 at 07:42 PM.

User Tag List