Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the P229 viable as a carry gun in 2024?

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    It shoots.

Attachment 117195

50’, 180grn Speer Gold Dots.
    Dammit, Stephanie - I’ve managed to avoid P series SIGs except for my P220. Are you trying to tempt me?
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Dammit, Stephanie - I’ve managed to avoid P series SIGs except for my P220. Are you trying to tempt me?
    Trying to expand my enabler remit, that's all.

That's my first P229. .40 felt nice in a steel-framed gun (I've shot a G27 and did.not.like.it.) If I didn't live in a hi-cap ban state, I might have looked for a 9mm. But if I'm going to be limited to ten in the magazine, I might as well go for the bigger BBs.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Just ordered an AIWB holster from @Tony Mayer for the P229. By my count, that makes five of those I've bought (3" K, 4" L, 4" N, & 1911 before this).
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Vending Machine Operator
    Just ordered an AIWB holster from @Tony Mayer for the P229. By my count, that makes five of those I've bought (3" K, 4" L, 4" N, & 1911 before this).
    I'm on my second JMCK IWB (Shield Plus and APX A1 Compact), both mid guards with pull the dot loops. They carry really well.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

This thread inspired me to update an old W. German workhorse. It is a mid-90s era P229 that was purchased in 1997ish for just $550 new from a Richmond, VA area gun store. Years later, I learned that this particular store got into a bit of trouble by selling pistols that were on the VASP contract for ultra cheap in neutered form with 10-round Promags instead of the factory hi-capacity rounds. They were supposedly selling the factory mags on the black market. I have no idea if this particular gun was affected but it did come with 10-round ProMags that got trashed. I think that I purchased it in 357Sig but most rounds through it have been 40SW.

Fifteen years ago, I sent it to Bruce Grey for a carry tune and short reset. He also through on some night sights which have grown dim. So, I purchased some AmeriGlo Trooper sights and installed them. The rear sight has a hex screw that can be tightened into the dovetail. I doubt this is necessary since it required a sight pusher for the install.

Name:  IMG_1067.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  47.6 KB
    Name:  IMG_1066.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  94.9 KB
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Trying to expand my enabler remit, that's all.

That's my first P229. .40 felt nice in a steel-framed gun (I've shot a G27 and did.not.like.it.) If I didn't live in a hi-cap ban state, I might have looked for a 9mm. But if I'm going to be limited to ten in the magazine, I might as well go for the bigger BBs.
    I was of the impression that most SIG P-series pistols have aluminum frames? I believe they made some steel frame limited versions, but most are aluminum.

Quote Originally Posted by Exiledviking View Post
    I was of the impression that most SIG P-series pistols have aluminum frames? I believe they made some steel frame limited versions, but most are aluminum.
    Goes to show you what I know about P229s. It said "stainless steel" on the slide and I thought that was the entire gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Exiledviking View Post
    Goes to show you what I know about P229s. It said "stainless steel" on the slide and I thought that was the entire gun.
    It is all stainless steel.

The P229 was built in steel to handle the 40 S&W and 357 SIG rounds that an alloy framed gun wouldn't be able to handle.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post

The P229 was built in steel to handle the 40 S&W and 357 SIG rounds that an alloy framed gun wouldn't be able to handle.
    Slide is stainless steel, frame is anodized aluminum alloy. Remember, most 40 and 357 sig have plastic frames so it is likely the alloy is good to go

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post

Negative.

User Tag List