Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the P229 viable as a carry gun in 2024?

Quote Originally Posted by Fsumach View Post
    Slide is stainless steel, frame is anodized aluminum alloy. Remember, most 40 and 357 sig have plastic frames so it is likely the alloy is good to go
    Thank you for correcting me.

For some reason I was certain it was all steel.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

As EV mentioned, there were all steel pistols but they were limited runs. Im not a sig guy but it looks like the elite series was all steel.

Just an fyi,
    Post 72 and all, the Elite series were also aluminum alloy framed, but had more of a "beavertail" to its frame.

https://www.sigsauer.com/p229-elite-compact.html

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    This thread inspired me to update an old W. German workhorse. It is a mid-90s era P229 that was purchased in 1997ish for just $550 new from a Richmond, VA area gun store. Years later, I learned that this particular store got into a bit of trouble by selling pistols that were on the VASP contract for ultra cheap in neutered form with 10-round Promags instead of the factory hi-capacity rounds. They were supposedly selling the factory mags on the black market. I have no idea if this particular gun was affected but it did come with 10-round ProMags that got trashed. I think that I purchased it in 357Sig but most rounds through it have been 40SW.

Fifteen years ago, I sent it to Bruce Grey for a carry tune and short reset. He also through on some night sights which have grown dim. So, I purchased some AmeriGlo Trooper sights and installed them. The rear sight has a hex screw that can be tightened into the dovetail. I doubt this is necessary since it required a sight pusher for the install.

Attachment 117252
    Attachment 117253
    That's cool. I use Ameriglo fronts on my old-school Sigs, too. I've been leaving the factory rear and just blacking it out. Gives you a nice "front dot only" sight picture. Have my P229, P239, P6 and P245 set up that way. Need to get my P226 and my .357 P239 done too.

I also grabbed an MGW Sig sight pusher on eBay. Definitely gotten my money's worth.
    For astute purveyors of pew: hipstertactical.com

At 42oz im pretty sure its not a technical error of specs.

"The P220ST features an all stainless steel slide and frame machined from barstock"

https://www.topgunsupply.com/sig-sau...hts-da-sa.html

Site Supporter
    Again, there are all stainless classic SIGs. They are made in much smaller quantities than the standard P-Series models and have an additional qualifier. “Stainless”, “ST”, or something like that to denote the differences which usually make it a higher tier offering. The prices are usually higher, and of course, the weight. Most classic SIGs, the more standard models, comprising the majority of the models produced, even the .40s, are aluminum framed.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    It's not like there's tons of plastic framed, hammer fired TDA pistols on the market- and a few of those have slide mounted decockers.
    If it works for you, drive on.

Heck, I pocket tote a P239, as it's safer than my Shield, but has more bang & better sights than my snub Model 10.
    SIG SP2022 for the win.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by LtDave View Post
    SIG SP2022 for the win.
    Sadly, I never see those used in the rack for a price that is reasonable.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Sadly, I never see those used in the rack for a price that is reasonable.
    They pop up new on sale regularly - watch the bigger SP2022 thread, I try to post about it there.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

User Tag List