Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Is the P229 viable as a carry gun in 2024?

Site Supporter
    I don't see why any vetted pistol isn't a viable option for someone if it fits their circumstances. I've carried a wheel gun for a vast majority of the time for the last 5 or so years, with a small stint being duty guns due to a temporary change of circumstances.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    I am a lem and DA/SA convert. I recently mulled the idea of changing back to a glock and I cant give up the hammer and long first trigger pull. I had a pair of p229s a couple years ago. Fantastic guns, sold them and went with a lighter arrangement (p2000). There is something to a metal framed fire arm though, I have been fighting the urge to revisit something like a p229 or 92 compact.
    The 92 compact is a weirdly easy to shoot gun...and is also kinda weirdly easy to conceal for me. Maybe it's the huge slide, trigger that's very receptive to custom work, or the small but incredibly chonk feeling grip, but the 92x is a gun I've really come to love.

Also you can easily pull the sear out and get a really nice DAO pistol that is also very accurate. If you're into DAO pistols that is.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by echo5charlie View Post
    So a big FU to this thread. Y'all cost me some money.

After reading all the posts I did something I thought I'd never do at this point in my life - buy a SIG P-series in today's age. Since SIG has discontinued the basic non-Cali P226 9mm I had to order a MK25 as I was not looking for the fluff versions they still offer. Also, after conferring with JMCK about fitment due to the 1913 rail, I bought a AIWB holster for it. FWIW, the 1913 rail works fine with the AIWB 2.5 I received.

Initial feelings on the MK25 I received (mfg 11/23): Good to go. Decent DA, SA is good. Finish looks good as well, but I know the barrel will quickly show wear since it is phosphated as opposed to Nitron. I prefer the original sized grips to the E2 so I am good there. MecGar 18-rounders are a huge bonus. Since this is what I would have hoped to get, you guys don't get a FU.

Initial feelings on potential AIWB use: Lots of surprises for me here. This thing is almost as concealable as a G19, it pretty much falls between a G17 vs G19 using a JMCK 2.5 as a baseline across the board (in a t-shirt), it disappears with a button-down cover garment. Another surprise was that I only had to use a flat wedge to achieve that result. I full wedge or teardrop style results in the same level of concealment, which I found interesting. So, yesterday I went 12 hours wearing the MK25 loaded with a MecGar 18-round mag. House chores, watching TV, cleaning up the yard (lots of bending) and I felt no discomfort at the end. I also wasn't having to make microadjustments to the rig - there was no holster roll or canting to the left or the right. I already carry my G19 everyday of the week, regularly for 10+ hours a day, so that was nice. Now this has me really thinking....you guys get an FU for that.

Off to the range in a few hours to do a few TDA Dot Torture runs followed up with some basic marksmanship and 'worn' carry ammo expenditure. I wonder if y'all will be getting any more FUs?
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by echo5charlie View Post
    So a big FU to this thread. Y'all cost me some money.

After reading all the posts I did something I thought I'd never do at this point in my life - buy a SIG P-series in today's age. Since SIG has discontinued the basic non-Cali P226 9mm I had to order a MK25 as I was not looking for the fluff versions they still offer. Also, after conferring with JMCK about fitment due to the 1913 rail, I bought a AIWB holster for it. FWIW, the 1913 rail works fine with the AIWB 2.5 I received.

Initial feelings on the MK25 I received (mfg 11/23): Good to go. Decent DA, SA is good. Finish looks good as well, but I know the barrel will quickly show wear since it is phosphated as opposed to Nitron. I prefer the original sized grips to the E2 so I am good there. MecGar 18-rounders are a huge bonus. Since this is what I would have hoped to get, you guys don't get a FU.

Initial feelings on potential AIWB use: Lots of surprises for me here. This thing is almost as concealable as a G19, it pretty much falls between a G17 vs G19 using a JMCK 2.5 as a baseline across the board (in a t-shirt), it disappears with a button-down cover garment. Another surprise was that I only had to use a flat wedge to achieve that result. I full wedge or teardrop style results in the same level of concealment, which I found interesting. So, yesterday I went 12 hours wearing the MK25 loaded with a MecGar 18-round mag. House chores, watching TV, cleaning up the yard (lots of bending) and I felt no discomfort at the end. I also wasn't having to make microadjustments to the rig - there was no holster roll or canting to the left or the right. I already carry my G19 everyday of the week, regularly for 10+ hours a day, so that was nice. Now this has me really thinking....you guys get an FU for that.

Off to the range in a few hours to do a few TDA Dot Torture runs followed up with some basic marksmanship and 'worn' carry ammo expenditure. I wonder if y'all will be getting any more FUs?
    The JM 2.5 is also my go to. For the last several years I have been carrying a 226 during the winter months in the 2.5. Not because of winter clothes and it being more concealable but because of the heat/humidity here in the South in the summer months. The oppressive heat and humidity down here just causes everything to be more fatiguing and the extra weight just really wears on you. I have no problem concealing a 226 under a t-shirt in the 2.5 AIWB with the same flat wedge and with a good belt. Like you I've carried it for 8+ hours with no issue. Guys I shoot with who carry micro guns cannot believe I have the "hogleg" at appendix and that it conceals so well. I have found that with a good holster/belt at AIWB I can conceal any full size service pistol. My gun is an older example and runs the 18 round Mec Gar's without issue. There were some threads on here within the last couple of years about Sig standardizing the 226 to a different mag release and the lack of compatibility with the Mec Gar mags and the new release. Are you seeing any issues with that?

User Tag List