Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Eclipse 2024

80-85% for our area. I have my telescope's solar filter available for a couple of quick glances.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    We are in the path of totality. I just got back from shopping at H-E-B, and there was a depressing lack of Armageddon vibe.
    That's because the patrons were well armed at CenTex HEB
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Hard to believe that the last one was in 2017. It does not seem that long ago. We held an eclipse gathering at our cabin, since it is pretty far removed from about everything. Ken Hackathorn and his lovely wife came over and hung out, along with some other friends. The kids and dogs all ran around and we BBQ'd and had a fire and did the usual stuff.

Ken and I discussed our favorite 5" N Frames and shot some at distant targets on the hill in the basin directly behind the cabin.

The temps dropped pretty darn quick as the eclipse happened.

I just like telling people that Texas schools and businesses are now scheduling time for people to go outside and stare at the sun.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    That's because the patrons were well armed at CenTex HEB
    Yes, we are.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Same. It was dope to see one in the full heat of a St. Louis summer....but I work tomorrow and I expect at least one of the patients will likely turn into a werewolf or some shit so I can't just not be there for that.
    There were quite a few planes that flew into the local GA airports for it. Two or three King Airs from Texas came in. As soon as totality was past, so were they.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

I saw one here several years ago. No wars or disasters before, during, or after. It was cool, but night launches from the Cape are cooler.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Friends changed their destination upon reading the weather forecast from their first choice watch site.

I will just watch on TV while preparing for Armageddon. Although it is listed at 92% here. I wonder how dim that will appear to the eye.

The house in Austin for the upcoming eclipse is in the path of totality. On a map, it looks really close to the other track from a few months ago. That one had nothing visible with a cell phone camera and I don't recall it getting "dark". More like heavily overcast. Meanwhile, not that far away in San Antonio it was presumably quite different. The XKCD comic probably sums it up.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    A 95% eclipse is not much different from a 40%. Everything changes with totality.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    Name:  Safe.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  31.4 KB

User Tag List