Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Eclipse 2024

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar

Eclipse 2024

I'm seeing reports that our area is expecting nearly a million extra people over the weekend, and we're just on the periphery of the path of totality. Predictions for cell phone degradation, gas / food shortages, apocalyptic traffic congestion and all the associated issues that would come with the aforementioned.

I'm working from home for the day. Wife is an OR nurse and I suspect she'll be busy.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

I traveled to rural Oregon for the eclipse in 2017. Traffic was bad, but what surprised me most was how many gas stations ran out of fuel.

I had planned to drive to New Hampshire to see this one, but will end up taking care of livestock for a sick neighbor instead. I hope you guys have fun and are wowwed...

We travelled about seven miles south of our house for the 2017 Eclipse (we're about 20-miles south of Portland) and it took us over three hours to get home--and this is the area I grew up in, so I know all the back roads: but so does Google and Waze and, consequently, every single route north was jammed with vehicles. Luckily we had filled up the gas tank and packed snacks ahead of time, and we didn't encounter any stalled vehicles blocking traffic, but if you can avoid driving on Eclipse day I'd recommend doing so.

On a positive note, everyone we encountered seemed happy to be out seeing the eclipse. Other than some run-of-the-mill over-use of car horns and hand-gestures on the drive home we didn't encounter any unpleasantness.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    The 2017 went through my town; a bunch of us got together for it. It was fun, but I'm not going to bother traveling for this one. Seen one...
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

We’re in the path of totality, but they are saying the weather won’t be good. Sucks to be someone who traveled.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Friends are packing to chase it as they did in 2017, hoping for clear sky in New Boston, Texas.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Site Supporter
    Be VERY careful about the glasses you buy to view the eclipse. Fakes are out there and WILL NOT prevent eye damage.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Site Supporter
    My sister flew into Austin last night, planning to spend Monday in Fredericksburg, a small tourist town in the center of the path. I hated to break the weather news to her. Not looking good for Monday, but, maybe we'll catch a break. We'll have about 3-4 minutes of totality here... Glasses were tested during the partial a few years ago... Should be GTG.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

We are the last point in the US to witness the eclipse… estimated 40,000 people visiting a town of 6,000.

Traffic control starting today. Can’t wait until it’s over.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    My sister flew into Austin last night, planning to spend Monday in Fredericksburg, a small tourist town in the center of the path. I hated to break the weather news to her. Not looking good for Monday, but, maybe we'll catch a break. We'll have about 3-4 minutes of totality here... Glasses were tested during the partial a few years ago... Should be GTG.
    Just be careful with those glasses - they claim they have a maximum time in use rating. Sun fade is a thing.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

User Tag List