Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: It is 4-5 day today. Post your big bores!

Every day can be 4-5 day.

Name:  IMG_1198.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  75.2 KB
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by SW CQB 45 View Post
    I am putting on my thinking cap.

I dont believe yours is a Kings as with the Kings, they machine the slide and you lose the Colt Factory Plug with the big screwdriver slot. Its thin, but I think Ed Brown made similar but more HD barrel bushings, but you kept the factory recoil spring bottom.

I need to do some digging on that one.

if you notice on mine, the factory notch for the factory plug is not utilized by the Kings system.

Since it has been 30+ years I am definitely going to go with your experience and word on this one. The profile looks exactly the same, the way that the bushing matches the slide, that is why I thought that, but if Brown made one as well, it makes sense. It has been just a few years since that project was done, and one or two builds have taken place between then and now!

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    LR,

I got my cables twisted when trying to go back 30 years in my head.

Clark Custom was the one I was thinking of that made Officers barrel bushings.

I also know that EGW made officer bushings but they are shaped different.

Nice COACP!!!!
    If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

My “zombie gun,” a real pleasure to shoot.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

What a great story, thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by SW CQB 45 View Post
    A gift from my dad in 1988 when I graduated the police academy.

It was bought brand new, and my very first shot sent the barrel bushing, recoil springs and plug flying.

It was sent to Kings Gun Works In Cali shortly thereafter. They installed their bushing and recoil rod system.

In the 90s, I garaged hacked this by trying to install a EB Grip Safety (over cut it) and did my own high front strap.

It had a King Tappen rear sight and factory front. This little gun ran but was not a looker.

I wanted something else, and my dad was ok with me selling it and so it sold on consignment at a local shop.

Some yearssss later, after my dad passed, I wanted it back.

I went to the dealer who asked me for a month and year, so he could look up the transaction but sadly I could not recall.

About 6 months later the dealer called me saying he had my gun back in the store. He said he was going through some files and found my transaction (unfiled) laying at the top of the box.

The pistol cost me about $500 more to get it back but I did not care.

I sent it to the original ACW (I think in 2014) who did his best to try and clean it up. Rob did wonders.

I later sent it to PSingle for this and this.

It does have a dilemma... I over cut the feed ramp in the 90s and it needs a new feed ramp and the original Kings Recoil System, the springs are no longer made.

I did try to covert to flat wire and while it worked, 230 hard ball seemed too much for the spring. I might have to reload for this piece once I get the feed ramp fixed. I will likely send this back to Rob. I have too many irons in the fire still.

#RESIST

Site Supporter
    Name:  IMG_1784.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  102.6 KB

An old vaquero I repurposed.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by serialsolver View Post
    Name:  IMG_1784.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  102.6 KB

An old vaquero I repurposed.
    Now that the grandson is asleep..... I walked to a table at a gun show and there’s two vaqueros on the table. They were all beat up. Badly. I had to ask.

What happened to the vaqueros?

Guy behind the table; my dad was into cowboy shooting, so to antique them he put them into a paint bucket an went to Lowe’s an had them shaken by the paint mixer.

Long pause......while I’m trying to get a handle on the odd story and the abuse the vaqueros must have taken.

So I finally ask what he wanted for them?

Guy; $500.00 for both..

Ok, thanks, says I. The guy face shows this had happened to him several times.

I go through the gun show thinking about the pair of vaqueros, made up my mind and return to table.

How bout $400.00 for the vaqueros. I think I stunned him with the offer. Then he said how bout $450.00 and I buy the pair.

I get the two 5 1/2 inch barrel 45 vaqueros home and on the work bench. I spent some time with green scotch bright, files sand paper and got the pair looking, I think pretty good. One of the vaqueros got the broken grips replaced with some fake ivory grips and free spin paw. Thiat vaquero went to my lgs and was sold for $500.00.

This vaquero after being unantiqued got a free spin paw, trigger over travel screw and the barrel cut to 3 inches and the sight replaced. At that time I put a bird heads grip frame on it. It was used in this configuration for several years till the weight of the little big bore became an issue for my back and hip. The birds head grip was replaced with an aluminum grip frame with the original beat up grips that were smoothed out. It has an empty weight of 32ozs and is much easier to carry.

At times when I want something completely different from...well, black an plastic an magazines... ya’know. This vaquero is the breath of fresh air for me.

Just in time for summer carry I scored an AIWB holster from @Tony Mayer ‘s clearance sale. It is impressive how well this holster conceals .45 Medicine and the smoothness of the draw. Must be the carbon fiber.

Name:  IMG_6330.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  59.6 KB

User Tag List