Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Lessons Learned from Some Recent International Travel

Ecuador travel.

Just texted for some info. Reply was it isn't safe.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Ecuador travel.

Just texted for some info. Reply was it isn't safe.
    If you have any other details that would be helpful. We are going to Quito, and to the Andes with a guide. Nowhere near the coast.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Instead of trying to match the locals in dress, I'd suggest aiming for a sort of international business casual sort of style. That way you can look like you fit in despite being obviously foreign.
    I was going to post a similar reply. Business casual makes you look like not-a-tourist, hopefully looking like you're there for reasons and maybe know some locals that would be upset if something happens to you.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    If you have any other details that would be helpful. We are going to Quito, and to the Andes with a guide. Nowhere near the coast.
    The U.S. Department of State has a fairly detailed breakdown based on area; if you're considering travel to one of these zones you'll want to do some further homework. Also keep in mind that the country is under a general state of emergency due to armed groups basically seizing defacto control in some areas (these groups would generally not give you any consideration for being US citizens).

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...-advisory.html

The way business was done in the past tended to be very generalized for the entire country, which ended up with people not giving much thought to the state department ratings because an entire country would be given a travel warning due to something affecting .001% of the population in some distant enclave. Today, the people constructing these ratings are putting in the effort to be more specific to areas compared to years past, so I'd give them a little more credence.

Keep in mind that the travel advisories may not just be constructed based off the severity and frequency with such problem occurring, but also with the ability of the embassy staff to get you assistance in the event of a problem occurring...either directly, or through their host nation contacts (or, lackthereof in problem areas). Be wary of travel advice on travel forums when it comes to security and safety, as they're typically making their opinions based entirely on survivorship bias instead of a data-driven look at severity and frequency, as well as being entirely unaware of challenges or enablers to embassy/host nation assistance.

ETA: It just so happens the full OSAC country security report for Ecuador was just published a couple weeks ago. These are generated by DSS Special Agents, and will give you a little more context than the Consular Affairs travel notice which is linked above: https://www.osac.gov/Content/Report/...d-1c2aad29162d
    Last edited by TGS; 04-05-2024 at 01:14 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    No other specific information. She won't travel there right now but has in the past. None of her immediate family are in Ecuador now so she may not be up to speed on recent events. If I get anything more from her I'll pass it along.

Sounds like a great trip.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Delta Busta Kappa fratboy Hot Sauce's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    If you dress like a dork, that's probably not a problem specific to being on vacation.
    Heh. Very subtle brutality.
    Gaming will get you killed in the streets. Dueling will get you killed in the fields.
    -Alexander Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce View Post
    Heh. Very subtle brutality.
    I noticed.
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    I’m not going to offer advice on adventure touring when guys like @TGS are in the thread.

That said up front, two words. Pocket watch.

Look into an ass-cheap gotham or something. JMO.

https://www.amazon.com/Gotham-Gun-To...5&gad_source=1

https://www.amazon.com/Gotham-Gunmet...c52518e2c5cbd7
    Dammit, now I want one of those. I have zero use for one, but I want one just the same.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

Lessons Learned from Some Recent International Travel

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    The U.S. Department of State has a fairly detailed breakdown based on area; if you're considering travel to one of these zones you'll want to do some further homework. Also keep in mind that the country is under a general state of emergency due to armed groups basically seizing defacto control in some areas (these groups would generally not give you any consideration for being US citizens).

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...-advisory.html

The way business was done in the past tended to be very generalized for the entire country, which ended up with people not giving much thought to the state department ratings because an entire country would be given a travel warning due to something affecting .001% of the population in some distant enclave. Today, the people constructing these ratings are putting in the effort to be more specific to areas compared to years past, so I'd give them a little more credence.

Keep in mind that the travel advisories may not just be constructed based off the severity and frequency with such problem occurring, but also with the ability of the embassy staff to get you assistance in the event of a problem occurring...either directly, or through their host nation contacts (or, lackthereof in problem areas). Be wary of travel advice on travel forums when it comes to security and safety, as they're typically making their opinions based entirely on survivorship bias instead of a data-driven look at severity and frequency, as well as being entirely unaware of challenges or enablers to embassy/host nation assistance.

ETA: It just so happens the full OSAC country security report for Ecuador was just published a couple weeks ago. These are generated by DSS Special Agents, and will give you a little more context than the Consular Affairs travel notice which is linked above: https://www.osac.gov/Content/Report/...d-1c2aad29162d
    Thanks for the info, and that OSAC link. Really helpful.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Knowing someone on the ground would be a good thing for the destinations less traveled. Even then, that knowledge may be a bit limited in certain areas of a country.

Even though I've spent decades in PNG, I'll pretty much stick to big hotels when overnighting in Port Moresby- and will use their hotel shuttle to get there.

If you don't know someone on the ground, then it's probably best to stick to the big hotels and reputable tour companies.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

User Tag List