Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Lessons Learned from Some Recent International Travel

Site Supporter
    Yeah, I’m not trying to pass as a native. I’m trying to get excluded in the first stage of a bad guy’s interview process looking for obviously clueless rich tourists, if I can. I figure interjecting uncertainty plus not having any “prey” behaviors can’t hurt

Site Supporter
    Cheap watches cont.
    Sub 100 USD Casio DW 6900 Solar

https://www.amazon.com/Casio-G-Shock...2275557&sr=8-2

“Analog” Casio Casioak
    https://www.amazon.com/Casio-G-shock...s%2C120&sr=8-4

Sub 300
    Digital Casio Protek Solar

https://www.amazon.com/Casio-G-Shock...2275557&sr=8-2

Analog Certina ani-digi
    https://www.jomashop.com/certina-wat...11-057-00.html

The posts to date are illustrative and not remotely exhaustive. Indeed, Vaer and Bartucci are two field watch companies that for 100-300, you can get a rugged, durable, accurate, water resistant watch, often with a scratch resistant sapphire chrystal. Casio has dozens of models in every space from sub 20 to sub 300 as well.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Yeah, I’m not trying to pass as a native. I’m trying to get excluded in the first stage of a bad guy’s interview process looking for obviously clueless rich tourists, if I can. I figure interjecting uncertainty plus not having any “prey” behaviors can’t hurt
    Instead of trying to match the locals in dress, I'd suggest aiming for a sort of international business casual sort of style. That way you can look like you fit in despite being obviously foreign.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Thanks for all the info in this thread. Mrs. CF and I are heading to Ecuador this June, and I've been thinking about these things.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Thanks for all the info in this thread. Mrs. CF and I are heading to Ecuador this June, and I've been thinking about these things.
    If you guys are staying in a metropolitan center, one of the things that is pretty much a trend worldwide at this point in developing nations is something that was inadvertently touched on earlier:
    transportation security.

Upthread, it was mentioned that the poster "finally broke down" and ordered an uber out of convenience. In most developing nations, rideshare apps like Uber are dramatically safer than hailing cabs on the street, many of which are usually unregistered taxis. This can obviously vary based on location (ex: staying in a village), but Uber should be a default, not a last resort. This is an easy way to avoid getting robbed or unexpected drama with taxis. On the drama part, if you have to take a taxi then always agree on a price before hand unless they're running working meter.

In some countries (most of which aren't being typically tourist destinations), the only safe transportation option is to be arranged through your hotel. Worth mentioning even though it probably doesn't apply to you, but for those traveling too much to do much research beforehand, extremely security conscious, and if staying at a nice hotel catering to first-world tourists/businesspersons in a metropolitan center, this will always be your safest option in virtually every country.

Cabs are one of the primary sources of trouble for tourists overseas. It deserves much more attention than people give it, even though it's not a sexy topic. That, and hookers. *puts down drink after taking last sip* always pay your fucking hooker(s), even if you didn't realize she was a lady of the night when you unknowingly hired her and the bill comes due after spending time with her at the bar. It's worth carrying cash alone for that reason alone if doing a night out in town, because if you have to be taken to an ATM it will likely, 1) Have a skimmer on it, and 2) her pimp will likely make you withdraw more (significantly more) than what it would otherwise cost to shoo her away on the spot with cash.
    Last edited by TGS; 04-04-2024 at 08:43 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    If you guys are staying in a metropolitan center, one of the things that is pretty much a trend worldwide at this point in developing nations is something that was inadvertently touched on earlier:
    transportation security.

Upthread, it was mentioned that the poster "finally broke down" and ordered an uber out of convenience. In most developing nations, rideshare apps like Uber are dramatically safer than hailing cabs on the street, many of which are usually unregistered taxis. This can obviously vary based on location (ex: staying in a village), but Uber should be a default, not a last resort. This is an easy way to avoid getting robbed or unexpected drama with taxis. On the drama part, if you have to take a taxi then always agree on a price before hand unless they're running working meter.

In some countries (most of which aren't being typically tourist destinations), the only safe transportation option is to be arranged through your hotel. Worth mentioning even though it probably doesn't apply to you, but for those traveling too much to do much research beforehand, extremely security conscious, and if staying at a nice hotel catering to first-world tourists/businesspersons in a metropolitan center, this will always be your safest option in virtually every country.

Cabs are one of the primary sources of trouble for tourists overseas. It deserves much more attention than people give it, even though it's not a sexy topic. That, and hookers. *puts down drink after taking last sip* always pay your fucking hooker(s), even if you didn't realize she was a lady of the night when you unknowingly hired her and the bill comes due after spending time with her at the bar. It's worth carrying cash alone for that reason alone if doing a night out in town, because if you have to be taken to an ATM it will likely, 1) Have a skimmer on it, and 2) her pimp will likely make you withdraw more (significantly more) than what it would otherwise cost to shoo her away on the spot with cash.
    I can’t confirm the hooker part, but I can definitely confirm the Uber vs taxicab part. One of the stupider things I’ve done was getting in a non-vetted cab in Beijing. That included an argument over fares and how much money we had on us, and the driver suddenly pulling into a back alley where a couple of his friends waited. I thought my wife and I were going to be knifed and left in that back alley never to be seen again.

Site Supporter
    Oh, and if you EVER find yourself in a country where you can’t even recognize any of the alphabet always always ALWAYS carry a printed paper that includes the name and address of your hotel/accommodation. I have TWICE gotten myself so lost in pre cellphone/gps days that having that card is the only way I made it back to my hotel.

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Just had a small vacation in one of the most dangerous states in Mexico visiting some family. As far as travel advisories go, it's on the red list. It was a nice enough place to be honest. No, I wasn't going anywhere past midnight, no I was not gonna flash around a bunch of money, and no I wasn't looking to do anything illegal and I stayed in city limits, not going to the outskirts or ranchos. I was not kidnapped, killed or had any organs stolen so good for me I guess.

I asked about if I should try to modify my clothing or my Spanish and my family's advice was "No, definitely you should look and sound like a tourist. This place is more dangerous for locals than tourists."

Non touristy parts of Mexico may have fewer pickpockets and grifters however so I have no advice on that bit. I just wore jeans, t shirt and a baseball cap.

Probably wouldn't go again...but my grandmother is dying amd this was a last chance last minute thing.
    Glad you made it back. We used to vacation in MX a lot. I really, truely, like MX and considered buying property in Puerto Peñasco. I wouldn't travel anywhere in MX now except touristy places. Inland would be a no go, especially Sonora and Chihuahua.
    Last edited by Borderland; 04-05-2024 at 10:52 AM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Glad you made it back. We used to vacation in MX a lot. I really, truely, like MX and considered buying property in Puerto Peñasco. I wouldn't travel anywhere in MX now except touristy places. Inland would be a no go, especially Sonora.
    Indeed. We haven't been able to visit Guerrera's family down there in many years.
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I have a relative who has family in Ecuador. I'll ask her opinion about travel there.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

User Tag List