Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Lessons Learned from Some Recent International Travel

Hola Guerrero, I know you are not a newbie and I cannot add much to TGS's excellent advice, but don't worry too much... it sucks t be a foreigner if you are not used to it, but most places in central/south america are not very different from the US safety wise, just follow the same logical precautions. And have a plan to safeguard your money/cards/documents/contacts/laptop/lodging info/etc. in case anything happens, just like anywhere else.

Don't go to dangerous places, or places that can turn out bad past midnight. The locals will tell you. No matter how good looking and charming you think you are, usually nothing good comes out of drinks at 02:00 with a too friendly local female

If the worst happens, be prepared to lose some of your goods in order to preserve your physical integrity. No time or place to be a hero or demonstrate your martial skills.

If you can speak/understand some spanish (or portuguese in Brazil) it will help a lot.

That being said, I would not travel to Ecuador at this time if it wasn't necessary.

Don't even try to blend in, most people can spot a gringo a block away no matter how you are dressed. I'm a white latino, 6' and green eyes and most people can easily tell from a distance that I might be a foreigner but not a gringo.

Pleeease don't wear a rolex o jewelry, that's just plain stupid unless you are in a formal occasion in a safe place.

Take control of your cell phone ALL of the time, that's together with the watch/jewelry/wallets/purses are the most stolen goods at tourist places, just like everywhere else.

Again, just like everywhere else in the world 95% of your safety depends on your knowledge, planning and common sense, not that tactical folding knive in your back pocket or that snub on your ankle holster.

Have fun and enjoy your trip.
    Last edited by TiroFijo; 04-05-2024 at 04:11 PM.

I'd even go so far as to suggest buying a cheap burner phone & sim plan upon arrival- most airports have phone kiosk right outside of Customs.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    …Really helpful.
    TGS is amazingly helpful. That said, helpful isn’t the first adjective that came to mind upon perusing that report.

I hear that Iceland is nice in June.

”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    TGS is amazingly helpful. That said, helpful isn’t the first adjective that came to mind upon perusing that report.

I hear that Iceland is nice in June.

It may all sound like doom and gloom, but keeping the specifics in mind is important. Given the areas he wrote, I wouldn't say that Clusterfrack needs to cancel his trip, especially if he's going with a reputable guide (just going by the country report/advisory, I have no specific knowledge otherwise). Guides can often keep you out of trouble before it begins, like arranging for checkpoint bribes "excise and luxury taxes". Many Americans have a problem with being extorted, since that's not something that is acceptable here...so they tend to lose their shit instead of just paying. or they read some ridiculous advice on the internet from somebody encouraging them to carry a pairing knife in a duct-tape sheath, and then they get killed by resisting robberies or they get thrown in jail because...shocking...a tourist isn't going to pass basic scrutiny for carrying an everyday item that a local might.

For critical crime areas where the gangs casually go car to car down the highway during rush-hour, @Joe in PNG's advice on getting a burner phone is solid....that way you can leave your phone in your hotel safe, along with your passport (generally, try carrying a photocopy of your passport on you, not your actual book). At least find out where the phones get sold. Example: There's a huge market in Addis Ababa where all the stolen phones and side-mirrors can be found. Last time I was there, one of our team members went to the market the next day and bought back his stolen phone. I met someone assigned there who said they bought back their stolen phone 2 times in a 6 month period before they decided to just not go out into town anymore for dinner or shopping because the crime is just so rampant that life is easier just staying home with delivered food and online shopping.

I think Clusterfrack is going to have a great time.....at least if he pays the hookers.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    always pay your fucking hooker(s),
    So don't stiff the hookers? I mean, they may not like getting stiffed but I thought it was in the job description in one form or another...
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

What's "Gorillafritz"?

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    or they read some ridiculous advice on the internet from somebody encouraging them to carry a pairing knife in a duct-tape sheath
    Lmaoo I love this. Glad to see that stuff getting called out by an *actual* expert.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    What's "Gorillafritz"?
    Greg Ellifritz, a well-known trainer who's built like a damned gorilla.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    What's "Gorillafritz"?
    Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    Greg Ellifritz, a well-known trainer who's built like a damned gorilla.
    Who also wrote a book about "adventure" travel.
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Delta Busta Kappa fratboy Hot Sauce's Avatar
    Most people already own what I would consider equivalent to burner phones. If you didn’t trade-in or hand-me-down your old phone, and you still have it in a drawer collecting dust, you’ve got a ready made burner. It getting lost or stolen won’t have any impact on your day to day back stateside. Just wipe it of all unnecessary data that you don’t need for your trip. Your 4, 5, 6 year old beat up clunker is also less attractive to thieves.
    Last edited by Hot Sauce; 04-05-2024 at 08:05 PM.
    Gaming will get you killed in the streets. Dueling will get you killed in the fields.
    -Alexander Hamilton

User Tag List