Thread: "When you can't see the dot"

Site Supporter

"When you can't see the dot"

Quote Originally Posted by RAM Engineer View Post
    I thought it was a good article. I'm not a big fan of the 'squeeze the pinkie finger' approach, but apparently it works for some people.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I thought it was a good article. I'm not a big fan of the 'squeeze the pinkie finger' approach, but apparently it works for some people.
    I'd never heard of the guillotine method before.

Or: practice shooting with the dot off and just look at the spot you want to hit. At 5-7 yds, this is a good way to check how good your index is.

What's your approach?

Or: practice shooting with the dot off and just look at the spot you want to hit. At 5-7 yds, this is a good way to check how good your index is.

What's your approach?
    I trained with Yong Lee late last summer for an MRDS instructor class and this was something he had us practice out to 10-15 yards or so. He said the exact same thing. It’s an excellent way to check index. I was surprised to see how accurate I could be out to 10 yards. By 15, things were falling apart a bit.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

I thought it was a good article.
    Contrary to his opinion, I came to find that aiming maybe one of the hardest parts in shooting. He and I may have a different context.
    I also find irons to be nearly useless for a quick transition in a situation of dot loss or dot failure.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    I also find irons to be nearly useless for a quick transition in a situation of dot loss or dot failure.
    I agree

I remember it from back in the day circa 2010. Steve Fisher and Suarez were teaching that. I haven't even thought about it lately though.

Worrying about the pressure of your pinky is a running joke in the practical shooting world.

I think trying to squeeze with your pinky, or using the optic housing as a shotgun bead, are both subpar bandaid solutions to the real problem - an insufficiently trained index.

More dry practice until the dot appears where it should on every presentation is the answer. Not pinky pressure, or guillotining the target with the optic housing.

User Tag List