Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Vetting Ruger GP100s for Carry/Defense Use

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    In my opinion, 200 rounds of range/target ammunition, and 1 box of defensive cartridges would be my minimum..

It would also be ideal to use it in at least one IDPA match (or similar) or training class to help vet you with the revolver in conjunction with you mechanically vetting the gun.

Keep in mind that to me, the vetting process encompasses the gun, you, and your equipment associated with carrying the gun-holster, speedloaders, speed strips, pouches, belt, etc.

Best, Jon
    For autos, I've always gone by the criteria @DocGKR has espoused as I thought it was pretty good, that is, 1000 rounds without a stoppage to vet reliability (not all at once or without cleaning, just in general).

I've often wondered if this same standard should be applied to revolvers, or if it doesn't take that much. As it is, I've been going by 1000 rounds of Magnum as optimal to vet reliability. Sounds like that may be overboard.

Regarding IDPA match or similar with vetting, how many rounds in what period of time could one simulate that on the range by oneself?

After my smart ass drive by earlier in this thread, life has slowed down enough to add something useful.

I keep several small pin punches on my gun maintenance bench, they work for capturing the hammer spring. If you’re a reloader a spare decapping pin will work too.

I presently have three GP-100s, the 3” 10mm and 2.5” .357 are great. The 4.2” .357 is “tight” everywhere. The chamber throats are tighter, the tolerances around the cylinder are tighter. It’s wonderfully accurate and the trigger in either S/A or D/A is very nice. But some cast bullets need sized a bit differently and the gun needs cleaned or at least swept out with a toothbrush around the cylinder and star during a range session or it can get sluggish.

I’d add the exact ammo you intend to carry to Jon’s list of things to vette, but you already knew that.

Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    For autos, I've always gone by the criteria @DocGKR has espoused as I thought it was pretty good, that is, 1000 rounds without a stoppage to vet reliability (not all at once or without cleaning, just in general).

I've often wondered if this same standard should be applied to revolvers, or if it doesn't take that much. As it is, I've been going by 1000 rounds of Magnum as optimal to vet reliability. Sounds like that may be overboard.

Regarding IDPA match or similar with vetting, how many rounds in what period of time could one simulate that on the range by oneself?
    I would agree with 1000 rounds for a semi-auto. My former problem Glocks' deficiencies were usually evident by 1000 rounds. Revolvers often won't make a 1000 rounds problem without cleaning due to the nature of the design. However, that said, any problems outside of that will probably be noticeable by 1000 rounds such as whether the cylinders need chamfering, sticky chambers, too tight lock up, insufficient gap between the forcing cone and cylinder face, etc. If the revolver cylinder has a particularly tight fit in the frame, a 1000 rounds will usually create enough wear to improve the fit. A couple of IDPA matches is a good idea.

While it's likely that the average p-f member probably shoots more in a year than the average gun owner shoots in a lifetime, unless you're a committed organizational shooter provided ammunition/range/training time, or have a dedicated discretionary budget set aside for vetting, I think a 1,000 round criteria for vetting is likely unnecessarily high. Not that it's a bad thing, but for many of us it's probably a tad unrealistic, from both a time and budgetary consideration.

Yes, there are guns out there, such as the Springfield SA35 (at least in it's initial production run{s}) that were notable for going for around 800 rounds before experiencing serious systemic operational issues, but for a "mainstream" fielded defensive firearm (e.g. Glock, HK, and similar) I simply don't think that you really need more than a couple of hundred rounds to establish viability for defensive/duty use. I do, however, recommend that initial vetting be done with quality factory ammunition, and with factory carry loads

The process should continue, however, through continued use, in training, practice, matches, qualifications and similar. Any hiccups encountered need to be ruthlessly and dispassionately analized. It's a good idea to establish and maintain a logbook for each weapon throughout its life.

Best, Jon
    Sponsored by Check-Mate Industries and BH Spring Solutions
    Certified Glock Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by Flashman View Post
    I would agree with 1000 rounds for a semi-auto. My former problem Glocks' deficiencies were usually evident by 1000 rounds. Revolvers often won't make a 1000 rounds problem without cleaning due to the nature of the design. However, that said, any problems outside of that will probably be noticeable by 1000 rounds such as whether the cylinders need chamfering, sticky chambers, too tight lock up, insufficient gap between the forcing cone and cylinder face, etc. If the revolver cylinder has a particularly tight fit in the frame, a 1000 rounds will usually create enough wear to improve the fit. A couple of IDPA matches is a good idea.
    I don't mean 1000 rounds without any cleaning, I just mean 1000 rounds total, and with a revolver, with proper cleaning intervals. It'd be nice if the round count could be lower for revolvers to make sure there are no defects.

....or if it doesn't take that much. As it is, I've been going by 1000 rounds of Magnum as optimal to vet reliability. Sounds like that may be overboard.

I agree with @JonInWA that 1K is over the top for a revolver. For one thing, in vetting a semi-auto the big deal is cycling reliability, the magazines, the feed of a specific round or type of ammo like JHP, etc. etc. Those problems sometimes are low occurrence and you need lots of cycles to detect them.

None of that applies. Revolvers will be reliable with such a huge range of ammo without concern that I think you are looking at a simpler set of things to verify. Is there enough spring/hammer to set off all sorts of primers? Will it run hot or does it heat up and start to drag/bind? Will it run dirty or does it start to drag/bind. As it heats up and gets dirty is it impeding a speed load, both ejection and loading in any way? That is about it.

I will run 3 back to back to back Rangemaster Instructor Q's, a 50 round course, you could accomplish the same with an FBI Q, some POST type courses, etc. That is if you have enough speedloaders or insure you keep the gun fed with no pauses between strings and stages and that would tell me all I need to know about how the revolver is going to run and it will get things hot enough in the course of those 150 rounds over a short period of time. I would prefer that qual type test to just hammering 150 rounds as fast as I can at a static target because it makes me do different cadences and get hits, perform reloads, shoot dominant and non-dominant hand only, etc.
    Support the Second Amendment Foundation and the Firearms Policy Coalition, join and give!

I don't mean 1000 rounds without any cleaning, I just mean 1000 rounds total, and with a revolver, with proper cleaning intervals. It'd be nice if the round count could be lower for revolvers to make sure there are no defects.
    For me as an experienced revolver shooter, I would feel comfortable with 200 or 300 rounds to verify its suitability for defensive carry assuming no problems. However, it took tens of thousands of rounds to get to that point. Shooting IDPA matches is an excellent idea since it will help reveal problems, in my view, with the gun and technique--competing and time pressure. It might also be beneficial to get the gun hot such as shooting a classifier (e.g., 5X5) quickly to see if any problems arise.

For me as an experienced revolver shooter, I would feel comfortable with 200 or 300 rounds to verify its suitability for defensive carry assuming no problems. However, it took tens of thousands of rounds to get to that point. Shooting IDPA matches is an excellent idea since it will help reveal problems, in my view, with the gun and technique--competing and time pressure. It might also be beneficial to get the gun hot such as shooting a classifier (e.g., 5X5) quickly to see if any problems arise.
    How many rounds should one shoot in quick succession to get it hot and see if problems manifest? 5x5 is 25 shots, right? And I assume this should be done with carry ammo (.357) which will get it hotter than .38.

How many rounds should one shoot in quick succession to get it hot and see if problems manifest? 5x5 is 25 shots, right? And I assume this should be done with carry ammo (.357) which will get it hotter than .38.
    I think you need to get the gun hot enough that it is uncomfortable to hold without gloves. How many 357 rounds, I’m not sure, but 5 or 6 cylinders of 38 shot in quick succession should be enough.

I think you need to get the gun hot enough that it is uncomfortable to hold without gloves. How many 357 rounds, I’m not sure, but 5 or 6 cylinders of 38 shot in quick succession should be enough.
    After I get it that hot, should I keep shooting it to see if it has any problems? Or is just getting it to that point without any problems the goal?

I have the Hogue Tamer grips on this GP100. I don't know if I'll actually be able to feel how hot it is or not.

User Tag List