Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Vetting Ruger GP100s for Carry/Defense Use

While I could certainly do it, your best bet is simply to Call Ruger Customer/Tech Support, describe the issue, get an RMA, and try to get a shipping label. Ruger Customer Support is justifiably superlative for their support and going the extra mile on behalf of Ruger users. Best, Jon
    Sponsored by Check-Mate Industries and BH Spring Solutions
    Certified Glock Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    While I could certainly do it, your best bet is simply to Call Ruger Customer/Tech Support, describe the issue, get an RMA, and try to get a shipping label. Ruger Customer Support is justifiably superlative for their support and going the extra mile on behalf of Ruger users. Best, Jon
    I'll call Ruger tomorrow. Only thing is, now the cylinder is acting normal, but it goes back and forth between being sticky and not. I don't understand what's going on.

I'm concerned Ruger would just pop the cylinder a couple of times and it not show the issue, then pack it back up and send it back without looking into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Dane View Post
    If the cylinder is not making it that far in, I would start by pulling the trigger group and inspecting the crane, where the crane goes through the frame and where the crane rides on the trigger group.
    I'm home and adding pics of the areas I described above. Looking at your pics, I still have a firm assumption that your issue is somewhere here. Clean, inspect and relube is where I would start.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Dane View Post
    I'm home and adding pics of the areas I described above. Looking at your pics, I still have a firm assumption that your issue is somewhere here. Clean, inspect and relube is where I would start.

What should I be keeping an eye out for during inspection?

Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    What should I be keeping an eye out for during inspection?

cleanliness, burrs, debris, misshapen edges, marring "just doesn't look right"

If in doubt, post a pic and we will help as best as we can.

Just curious, would you be willing to have me ship it to you? Tried to send a PM but inbox was full. I’m probably going to send it back to Ruger but now that it’s seemingly not doing it anymore I’m at a loss for how to explain

SD if you were in the area I'd be happy to do it with you, but I strongly counsel at least first send it to Ruger with a detailed letter and let them holistically look at the revolver. That way, they'll attempt to not just address the specific problem(s), but see if there are other fit or causal problem areas. Ruger Customer Service really is top notch, and they'll have the necessary tools on hand to thoroughly go through the gun-for example, if they need to to a total detailed disassembly of the cylinder, there's a specialized tool needed (or needed to be made if you're not at Ruger) that I don't have.

Send it to them first and let's see how things work out.

Best, Jon
    Sponsored by Check-Mate Industries and BH Spring Solutions
    Certified Glock Armorer

SD if you were in the area I'd be happy to do it with you, but I strongly counsel at least first send it to Ruger with a detailed letter and let them holistically look at the revolver. That way, they'll attempt to not just address the specific problem(s), but see if there are other fit or causal problem areas. Ruger Customer Service really is top notch, and they'll have the necessary tools on hand to thoroughly go through the gun-for example, if they need to to a total detailed disassembly of the cylinder, there's a specialized tool needed (or needed to be made if you're not at Ruger) that I don't have.

Send it to them first and let's see how things work out.

Best, Jon
    Understood. I’ll see if I can get an RMA

I have to wonder if maybe I should try my hand at a S&W 686 or 627… with all the GP100s I’ve bought over the past 2 years they’ve all developed some sort of thing going on with them. The 7 shot had dimensional issues but the two 6 shots have this one. But I don’t know. Just discouraged. I read frequently of people talking about having thousands of rounds through their old reliable GP100s with just regular cleaning.

My GP100 Match Champion has the "powder under the extractor and can't close the cylinder" issue sometimes. I don't remember ever having it with my 686.

On the other hand, my 686 sometimes had the "ejector rod backed out and jammed up the cylinder" issue. That has never happened with the GP100.

Revolvers are starting to feel like 1911s in terms of needing to expect/watch out for little gotchas. I don't think 1911s or revolvers have gotten dramatically worse. It's just that newer designs have created expectations of fewer gotchas.

User Tag List