Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Vetting Ruger GP100s for Carry/Defense Use

Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    Ok. I’ve never disassembled a GP100 but will attempt tonight. Doesn’t the round count (no more than 1100 using almost always jacketed ammo) seem a bit low to be encountering this normally since I clean it after every range session as described yesterday? Or is this a normal occurrence? How do I determine whether this is just from debris or something wrong with the gun? It doesn’t sound like anyone here has encountered this specific issue before.
    No need to disassemble the cylinder yet. Simple spray some air into the front cylinder lock, and make sure it’s functioning smoothly. That looks like a trap even a couple of rounds could jam up.

I bought a S&W Model 36 brand new about ten years ago. The trigger was binding occasionally right off the bat, so the shop owner and I took the sideplate off, and shook out 3-4 small steel shavings. Problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
    When I took the revolver class with Tom Givens a couple of years ago a gent there had his very new S&W PC gun go down because he was shooting dirty ammo. @revchuck38 was there as well, and I hope he corrects me if I am misremembering, but I am pretty sure Tom mentioned that he had seen a lot of problems with European ammo being very dirty.
    IIRC, the Tulammo and Wolf are pretty nasty stuff.

I’ve run over 2K of cast bullet handloads in my 10mm Match Champion with no issues.

Ok. I’ve never disassembled a GP100 but will attempt tonight. Doesn’t the round count (no more than 1100 using almost always jacketed ammo) seem a bit low to be encountering this normally since I clean it after every range session as described yesterday? Or is this a normal occurrence? How do I determine whether this is just from debris or something wrong with the gun? It doesn’t sound like anyone here has encountered this specific issue before.
    This bit will make taking the cylinder apart easier.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankB View Post
    No need to disassemble the cylinder yet. Simple spray some air into the front cylinder lock, and make sure it’s functioning smoothly. That looks like a trap even a couple of rounds could jam up.

I bought a S&W Model 36 brand new about ten years ago. The trigger was binding occasionally right off the bat, so the shop owner and I took the sideplate off, and shook out 3-4 small steel shavings. Problem solved.
    I’m not sure I understand. What looks like a trap?

The front cylinder lock moves freely, it doesn’t get far enough in to interfere with anything when the cylinder is being difficult to close. I have a couple of pictures at home I can post of the position of the cylinder at the point it won’t go in, I will try to post later when I get home.

I almost want to make a thread for this because it seems to be something that I've run into before, but I don't want to clutter things up and am hoping I can get some kind of help here. I am having a problem with my GP100.

I took the GP100 described in the OP out to shoot again today. I had previously cleaned it since last shooting it the following way:
    -Brass brush to cylinder face and rear
    -Brass brush to forcing cone
    -Cleaning extractor star and underneath extractor star
    -Scrubbing and cleaning out chambers
    -Scrubbed recoil shield/bolt face with nylon brush and cleaned
    -Used bore brush and patches to clean bore

After 48 rounds (mostly Federal 130gr FMJ .38 and some Magnum), the cylinder became very "sticky" to get open and closed. It is still in this condition even after a minor scrubbing with nylon brush and wiped down. It's like something is preventing the cylinder from popping back into place, and if I do get it in, it's difficult to open. I've fiddled with it a bit and it closes seemingly normal right now (not always), but is still sticky to get open.

Keep in mind, I only have just over 1k rounds through this and have cleaned it after every range trip. Up to this point it has worked just fine. I think it would be unusual for it to do this simply because it hasn't been detail stripped/cleaned.

This is also something I experienced similarly with at least one other GP100. It doesn't seem like a one-off. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Is this a problem with the gun that is developing or am I doing something? It's quite frustrating, as I thought my quest for a reliable revolver was over.

I had a similar experience with my Wiley Clapp. It ended up being a less than perfect locking detent (the one in the extractor) and a small burr that had formed in the corresponding hole in the recoil shield. The wear mark on the recoil shield wasn't smooth either. I polished the detent with a felt wheel on a dremel and some jeweler's rouge. A tiny rat tail file cleaned up the hole. I did remove the cylinder release to do this. The wear mark has cleaned itself up after polishing the detent.

I'm not sure if the burr in the hole marred the detent or it was the other way around.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Dane View Post
    I had a similar experience with my Wiley Clapp. It ended up being a less than perfect locking detent (the one in the extractor) and a small burr that had formed in the corresponding hole in the recoil shield. The wear mark on the recoil shield wasn't smooth either. I polished the detent with a felt wheel on a dremel and some jeweler's rouge. A tiny rat tail file cleaned up the hole. I did remove the cylinder release to do this. The wear mark has cleaned itself up after polishing the detent.

I'm not sure if the burr in the hole marred the detent or it was the other way around.
    I will post pictures later, I couldn’t see anything that looked like a burr on the extractor detent or on the recoil shield, but I’ll take another look. I’m not even sure the cylinder gets far enough in for that to happen when it is being difficult to close, and it’s not always difficult to close.

I will post pictures later, I couldn’t see anything that looked like a burr on the extractor detent or on the recoil shield, but I’ll take another look. I’m not even sure the cylinder gets far enough in for that to happen when it is being difficult to close, and it’s not always difficult to close.
    The locking piece and the slot it rides in look like they’d be susceptible to catching crud. Smith and Wesson has moved the gas ring on and off the front of the cylinder trying to keep debris from clogging the works.

If the cylinder is not making it that far in, I would start by pulling the trigger group and inspecting the crane, where the crane goes through the frame and where the crane rides on the trigger group.

The problem is that you're having a problem. You'll only know if the cylinder partial disassembly and cleaning works if you do it and have positive results afterwards. Alternatively, you can send the GP100 to Ruger Customer Service or a qualified gunsmith.

If you read through my thread, you'll see that it isn't necessarily an isolated problem. I will say that it has periodically occurred with my GP100s, and I counsel trying the partial cylinder disassembly and cleaning/lubing, but if you're uncomfortable with doing it (and it's really not that hard or complex to do, especially if you've got a decent set of punches), by all means sent it elsewhere for a professional examination.

Best, Jon
    Sponsored by Check-Mate Industries and BH Spring Solutions
    Certified Glock Armorer

Here are two pictures from while I was at the range when the cylinder wouldn't close. Keep in mind this is different from when it's difficult to open.
    Name:  gp100 range 1.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  37.5 KB
    Name:  gp100 range 2.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  33.2 KB

Also, I'm fiddling with the gun right now (gently opening/closing cylinder), and at the moment it is acting normal. It goes between functioning as it should, and being sticky. I haven't disassembled it yet, I'm considering whether to try my own hand at it or to send it to a professional who can diagnose what is going on (or Ruger themselves). Anyone got a recommendation?

EDIT: I'd even be willing to send it to someone like @JonInWA or someone else intimately knowledgeable and experienced with the GP100 series. (Jon is basically who I've gleaned most of what I know on the GP100). Only thing is I'd have to send it to an FFL and there'd be all the 4473 stuff (and when I receive it back).
    Last edited by SwampDweller; 04-17-2024 at 08:21 PM.

User Tag List