Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Mike Pannone on Micro compact options

Quote Originally Posted by NETim View Post
    Opening salvo: IF I knew I was going to gun fight, I'd stay home. IF I had to go, I'd bring a rifle... with friends... who have rifles.

Being a retired bum, living in the relatively quiet social atmosphere of flyover country, i.e., the sticks, I think I'll stick with my current choice for carry, a G17.

Since I don't work, I can pretty much choose where I go. Hence no need for deep concealment and tiny guns. Street crime is a very, very rare event here. My primary concern, as remote as the odds are, are whack job mass killers, either the domestic or imported fundamentalist types. I want a bigger gun with more ammo. IF I ever have to engage, (and that's a big IF) odds are it will be at longer distances than typical defensive scenarios. That's my take.

I can conceal a G17 under an unbuttoned shirt relatively well. Typical geezer fashion statement.
    I want to be like you when I grow up.

For those of you who don't like or mesh well with the Shield Plus ergos - did you have that same problem with the regular Shield (if you tried one?). I've only shot a regular shield and I did find the grip a little thin for how long front to back it was but I don't think it through me off any. A Glock 43 with a hogue grip feels great. A normal Glock 43 grip felt too small. A normal Sig 365 grip also felt too small.

I'm still trying to find something between my g19 and g43 but I still can't make up my mind on it.

As far as ergos, never had a problem manipulating the magazine release or slide stop. What else is there?

The slide stop isn't even necessary for that matter...
    Are you loyal to the constitution or the “institution”?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Blackburn View Post
    As far as ergos, never had a problem manipulating the magazine release, slide stop, or inserting a magazine. What else is there?

The slide stop isn't even necessary for that matter...
    Are you loyal to the constitution or the “institution”?

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    For those of you who don't like or mesh well with the Shield Plus ergos - did you have that same problem with the regular Shield (if you tried one?). I've only shot a regular shield and I did find the grip a little thin for how long front to back it was but I don't think it through me off any.
    It probably does add about as much width as a Hogue wrap. When I had my Shields they didn't seem thin, the Plus seems to be just enough wider to be nice. But I have somewhat small hands (prefer the small backstrap on the M&Ps).
    ETA: I just remembered when I bought the Shield 45 (the last one I had) it was because the grip was just a wee bit larger, in a good way. In your case it might be worth getting your hands on (I crack myself up...) a Shield Plus.

For those of you who don't like or mesh well with the Shield Plus ergos - did you have that same problem with the regular Shield (if you tried one?). I've only shot a regular shield and I did find the grip a little thin for how long front to back it was but I don't think it through me off any. A Glock 43 with a hogue grip feels great. A normal Glock 43 grip felt too small. A normal Sig 365 grip also felt too small.

I'm still trying to find something between my g19 and g43 but I still can't make up my mind on it.
    My problem with the Plus' ergos are how it pointed in my hand - front sight high consistently, making me adjust my grip/wrist angle to acquire the sights/dot. Never had an issue with the trigger reach, mag or slide release. I never owned a manual safety version, but have shot them, and found the MS to be marginally useable, at best.

I have none of these issues with a P365, P365XL, or Macro. And, I know I'm in the minority, but I find the MS on those pistols to be completely useable in factory form. I do use a WC grip module on the XL, finding it "fills my hand" better than the factory's thin module. I use the factory module on my standard P365, primarily because I don't want to add any girth to it when I pocket carry. If I didn't pocket carry it most of the summer, I'd probably pick up a WC module for it as well.

Site Supporter
    A normal Glock 43 grip felt too small. A normal Sig 365 grip also felt too small.

I know you weren’t specifically asking for this answer, but just throwing out/ reiterating that the Macro should in no way be thought of in the same light as the original/ X/ XL grips. They are that different. Best analogy- the 365 is a micro compact grip. The X/XL grips are too small and the G19 is too big. The Macro grip is the goldilocks perfect middle ground. If it’s too long, the correct answer is to chop it. A hack to make the X/XL grips usable is the tape/ inner tube mod that makes them size up to the Macro circumference but still take the 12 rnd mags.
    @G19Fan

Site Supporter
    A normal Sig 365 grip also felt too small.

G26?

The Boresight Solutions P365 Razorback grip module fixed the smallness of the P365 for me. I haven't tried a Wilson Combat grip module.
    --Jason--

Quote Originally Posted by TOTS View Post
    I know you weren’t specifically asking for this answer, but just throwing out/ reiterating that the Macro should in no way be thought of in the same light as the original/ X/ XL grips. They are that different. Best analogy- the 365 is a micro compact grip. The X/XL grips are too small and the G19 is too big. The Macro grip is the goldilocks perfect middle ground. If it’s too long, the correct answer is to chop it. A hack to make the X/XL grips usable is the tape/ inner tube mod that makes them size up to the Macro circumference but still take the 12 rnd mags.
    @G19Fan
    Love it.

I did have to tape and inner tube my legacy g43 frame to get it to be usable

For me: Shield+ better than Shield. Shield is just fine also. Have owned the big 3, Shield+ by far nicest shooting. It shoots like a bigger gun (very stable in strings) I put a glob of epoxy on TS and it works much better for me

43X/48 have worst ergronomics for me and recoil is very snappy (put blister on trigger finger every time I shot it) Punt (and I have used glocks since late 80's)

365 has sharper recoil than Shield but is still quite shootable and I found it to be most accurate

I carry an X with ts. Son has +. I like the larger trigger guard on 365 for gloved hands. 43x and Shield are difficult except with thin (useless) gloves

User Tag List