Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Washington state bans knives on public transportation

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I don't use public transportation in the Portland metro area anyway, but this would seal the deal.

Busses and light rail will just be mobile homeless shelters, open-air latrines, and Mad Max thunderdome arenas.

Kind of like the 3rd class cars from Snowpiercer...
    Seems appropriate...

Name:  FB_IMG_1712371080669.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  70.0 KB
    'Nobody ever called the fire department because they did something intelligent'

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by idahojess View Post
    That's correct.

Also, I disagree with the Ammoland article that concludes the new law impacts carrying of knives.

You have to look closely at the statute and see what definitions of "weapon" are used in for the section in general and for particular subsections.

Here is the session law... https://lawfilesext.leg.wa.gov/bienn....SL.pdf#page=1

Of course, this state is making stuff so convoluted, it's getting quite easy for a law abiding person to run afoul of something.
    Normally Knife Rights is good but I have to agree. The definition of weapon at the end refers to this:

https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41.250

The narrower definitions apply to other sections.

I am not admitted in WA, so consult with someone who is before relying on this.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Most cities limit blade to 3.5 inches including Seattle. A few are lower than that. Seattle also bans carrying any fixed blade unless it is related to your trade.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    Normally Knife Rights is good but I have to agree. The definition of weapon at the end refers to this:

https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41.250

The narrower definitions apply to other sections.

I am not admitted in WA, so consult with someone who is before relying on this.
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    Last time I was in a Cabelas, if I recall correctly, the sign said carrying is OK unless you plan to take the gun out to sell, try holsters, etc. In such cases, it must be unloaded.
    This is their rule in MN currently, too. At the gun counter, the trigger locks never come off before sale, no exceptions.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

@Totem Polar or anyone else, has there been any pushback on this from the working class folks who at least sometimes use mass transit and maybe, GASP, even use their knives for their vocation?
    "It was the fuck aroundest of times, it was the find outest of times."- 45dotACP

Quote Originally Posted by Joe S View Post
    @Totem Polar or anyone else, has there been any pushback on this from the working class folks who at least sometimes use mass transit and maybe, GASP, even use their knives for their vocation?
    Being a bougie, myself (albeit a modestly paid one) I have no idea. I doubt it would do much good. The quad circle of Gov’ner, AG, and both houses are very resistant to pushback on much of anything.

At this point, I strongly suspect that this law already falls into the same historical state category as the 55mph speed limit and the 90-year ban on marijuana use, so far as compliance.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    Did I say this - I might have. The law is not expected to deter bad people. It is to give the law something to arrest folks for. An analogy was a local San Antonio law banning carry of 'clubs' in your car. Gang members would buy short aluminum bats and have them in their car to bop their opponents. Thus, SAPD, if they pulled you over and found a bat, they could arrest you.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    Being a bougie, myself
    Thread drift.

As my boomer self can gather, 'bougie' is the present day slang term for bourgeois. That term was a descriptive for a certain social class level (generally middle class, both lower and upper), it was French for those who lived in cities ('Bourg' being a term describing an urban area that was bigger than a village -another French word- though not a big as a cité, the French word from which we get 'city'). Those people were generally merchants/bankers/artisans etc.. , in other words people who made money from from either "a" trade or from trade itself. They generally were wealthier than your average city dweller or peasant but nowhere near the wealth of a noble. They were generally characterized (i.e. made into a stereotype) by a hard work ethic and a frugal lifestyle as well as morality.

During the middle 1800s, the bourgeois started being the very epitome of all the things wrong with "capitalism". The word remained an invective to this day, even though it represents much of the ideal of those who try for the "American Dream".

How this word got abreviated to bougie, I do not know. However, those who promulgated this variation were/are unaware of that word's French meaning; bougie = candle.

Thus @Totem Polar can rightly call himself a luminary.

:-)
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Did I say this - I might have. The law is not expected to deter bad people. It is to give the law something to arrest folks for. An analogy was a local San Antonio law banning carry of 'clubs' in your car. Gang members would buy short aluminum bats and have them in their car to bop their opponents. Thus, SAPD, if they pulled you over and found a bat, they could arrest you.
    That would require law enforcement on public transportation, a mandate to detain, search, and arrest suspects.

Without that, it’s just another law that only restricts law abiding citizens.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

User Tag List