Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Building a PC9

Site Supporter
    The double barrel we used at the NTI would flip on the safety, IIRC when you reloaded. Screwed me up for a bit. We didn't get checked out on it. Just pick it up, figure it out and go. We had another mystery gun stage with an AK which I never fired. Since I knew that was coming (told us to bring ammo - for guess what), I had my Viet Nam vet friend with one, check me out first.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

But the ones that only move the fired shell out a fraction of an inch and then you have to pluck it out

If a plain extractor double is all you have, it would pay to use CAS technique. SASS does not allow ejector doubles so we polish our chambers and learn to give the gun a jerk as it opens to flip the empties out.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

This thread is reminding me how much I wanted a 18.5” (or shorter) O/U back when I was a guncrazy teen. I want to say it was due to a movie LE character with one - Walking Tall, maybe? This would have been mid to late 70s.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by whomever View Post
    I think you want one that A)ejects on open and B)cocks on close. ... But the ones that only move the fired shell out a fraction of an inch and then you have to pluck it out would be a lot slower than the ones that send it zinging out, because his right hand was going for the next shell while that was happening.
    I do a lotta skeet shooting (hope the weather is nice tomorrow!) and have a couple decent O/U guns and have circled the drain on them a bit. The terminology is Extractor (boost them out just a little) or Ejector (toss them right the hell outta there). Not sure about extractors, but ejectors are smart enough to only toss the fired barrel. And all the cocking and ejecting an what not is actuated by opening the gun.
    Now that I think of it, in the Clint example, that gun must have had just extractors and a hammer, because a gun with internal hammers and ejectors wouldn't just fall open, it takes a little effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    The double barrel we used at the NTI would flip on the safety, IIRC when you reloaded. Screwed me up for a bit.
    That is common behavior, and is a feature typically eliminated on "target" guns that are considered superior to "field" guns. They guys that shoot target guns all the time and then grab a field gun get screwed up.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    Now that I think of it, in the Clint example, that gun must have had just extractors and a hammer, because a gun with internal hammers and ejectors wouldn't just fall open, it takes a little effort.
    I'm sure not going to bet money :-). But I had a double barrel with internal hammers or strikers or whatever (but extractors rather than ejectors, thx for the terminology!) and the weight of the stock would pretty much open it; it sure wouldn't take much of an impulse from your hand after unlocking to run it like he did (except for the extractors instead of ejectors). Again, I may be misremembering. I suppose the ejectors would matter more than the hammer; a practiced thumb could cock as you closed w/ minimal delay, whereas pulling out the old shells, at least on mine, wasn't a speedy thing.

(apologies for the thread drift)

A "hammerless" double generally cocks the locks upon opening and if fitted with ejectors, they are cocked on closing.
    There have been guns cocked by the top (or bottom) lever but there are only a couple made now. The Swedish Flodman and maybe the Browning Cynergy operate that way.

Some Best London guns can be had with "easy opening" which one wag said just meant hard closing.
    The Beesley patent locks on a Purdey are inherently easy opening, no extra parts required.

I remember the great sadness when a Best London gun was captured from bank robbers, it had been sawn off at both ends.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    I have given this project a name - the Fuck You New York carbine.
    Pronounced finis? 😁
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Our house in NH is a 2-story Garrison with the bedrooms on the second floor.
    I wasn't familiar with that style of house, is this wikipedia article roughly accurate? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garrison_(architecture)

Are they actually stouter built than other typical houses? The article makes it sound like they were a mid or light weight blockhouse.

Just curious, have been about home defensive architecture since reading Cooper's "Notes On Tactical Residential Architecture" many eons ago. Link to post that talks about Cooper's article/chapter https://alt-ark.com/2021/01/29/defensible-home-design/

The Garrison style is simply the second floor being slightly larger than the first, with the resultant overhang. Our house has about a foot of overhang front and rear, but is flush on the sides like the one below.

EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights | EDC Light Builder P-F Sub-forum

The Garrison style is simply the second floor being slightly larger than the first, with the resultant overhang. Our house has about a foot of overhang front and rear, but is flush on the sides like the one below.

I was hoping you had mâchicoulis. Sad noises.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

User Tag List