Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Building a PC9

Building a PC9

In this thread I discuss my upcoming move back to NY, the fact that my AR can't make the trip with me and that it will be replaced with a NY AWB-compliant Ruger PC9. Wishing to keep it a "made in the U.S.A" here is what I have in mind;

I'll start with the model 19116;

Install a Trijicon MRO 2 MOA green dot just in front of the rear sight using a low profile rail;

My goal is to be able to view the iron sights through the opening on the mount. Eyeballing the photos, it looks like the mount opening should be at the right height to make this happen. Can anyone provide feedback on this assumption? Or should I roll with the low mount and attempt to co-witness?

I'll also install a WML using an Arisaka Scout 600 body, mount and a Modlite Legacy Enhanced LED-F Light Head.

And of course, 10-round magazines.

I think this will be a good set up for range fun and in-home self defense . Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated!
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights | EDC Light Builder P-F Sub-forum

Are you looking to mount the MRO on the hand guard to avoid zero shift during takedown/reassembly in addition to iron sight use?

I have the original, non-rail version and have my dot mounted over the ejection port. I’ll try and remember this evening to get it out and see if I can still see the irons through the dot.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Are you looking to mount the MRO on the hand guard to avoid zero shift during takedown/reassembly in addition to iron sight use?
    Yes.

Thanks!
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights | EDC Light Builder P-F Sub-forum

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated!
    This is something I have thought about doing, just to have a simple PCC that keeps all drama to a minimum.

Were this my own project, I'd opt for the more compact Arisaka 300 Scout body with a Malkoff head, but that is a minor quibble.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

I have the same Ruger PCC9 with a Holosun AEMS on a low mount (on top of the receiver). Having experience with that set up, you may find that the original mount of the MRO is too tall to get a repeatable cheekweld. Frankly I wish the optic sat a little lower on my PCC.
    I ended up mounting a Streamlight TLR RM2 on the bottom of the handguard towards the muzzle. The light has a large albeit somewhat protected tail switch. I like this configuration as I can easily activate the light from either side of the handguard. It only has 22,000 candela and 1000 lumens, but considering the intended use and that it is a 9mm, it fills the role well.
    Last edited by Exiledviking; 04-03-2024 at 06:30 PM.

I picked mine up last year at Precision Armory in Carmel NY Putnam County $599

If you get the regular handguard you can use this:

https://www.combathunting.com/Ruger_...ght_Mount.html

I have this-

https://taccom3g.com/product/ruger-p...c-sight-mount/

and just don't have back up irons. I haven't found optics to be as fragile on rifles as on pistol slides, and it's kind of just a plinker anyway. I should see what kind of hits I can get using the optic as a rear site.

I like the optic low.

I also like the MRO, and I just went through some of this with the 10/22 I put together. I think you (I did) will struggle trying to co-witness with the MRO, and trying to peek under it will leave your cheek floating around.
    I decided to shift my thinking to a quick release, and Midwest Industries makes this one I chose.

Name:  MMc MRO 10_22.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  31.8 KB

ETA: I am sorta doing what you are with the 10/22, here is a more detailed post with more of my thoughts.
    I am pretty sure your objective involves avoiding the pistol grip, but Midwest also makes the chassis for the the Ruger PCC, but they offer a few interesting PCC accessories.

More ETA: I also have one of these, that they say is for the 10/22 but I do not know why it wouldn't work on the Ruger M-Loc slots, that I am not going to use (it was too low on the 10/22). It might co-witness with an Aimpoint or clone (I tried it with a Romeo5).
    Last edited by mmc45414; 04-04-2024 at 07:39 AM.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    ...it will be replaced with a NY AWB-compliant Ruger PC9. Wishing to keep it a "made in the U.S.A" here is what I have in mind;

I'll start with the model 19116;

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    I am pretty sure your objective involves avoiding the pistol grip...
    After sampling the gamut of PC9s, I decided that I liked the conventional stock/aluminum handguard combination best of all. Go figure.

If a .357 "Ruglin" 1894 SBL ends up being unobtanium this calendar year, I may go ahead and make a similar PC9 journey (here in a state with a residue of freedom remaining I can use catalog #19115 as the base).
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

No idea on the setup you have in mind but Midwest Industries sells an MLOK handguard for the PC9 and an Aimpoint micro mount that's supposed mount to the handguard and cowitness with the irons. The Aimpoint mount is only intended to work with their handguard so not sure if it would work with the Ruger handguard. And Aimpoint micros are significantly more expensive than an MRO. But it will get you what you're looking for if there's no other way to get there.

https://midwestindustriesinc.com/mi-...pc-carbine-mi/

https://midwestindustriesinc.com/t1-...er-pc-carbine/
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

User Tag List