Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Building a PC9

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    [*]Replacing the Arisaka Hand Stop at the 6 O'clock position with an Arisaka Indexer at the 3 O'clock position. With some experimentation I've found the 3 O'clock position works better for me to leverage my thumb for WML control and leaves the bottom of the rail clean for use on a bag or other support.
    Over time, I have become almost OCD about keeping keeping the bottom of a forearm as free from "stuff" as I can. If there is a way to smack a 6:00 accessory into something... or have it snag... or just make it malf... I am the goofball who will manage to do it.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Quote Originally Posted by gato naranja View Post
    Over time, I have become almost OCD about keeping keeping the bottom of a forearm as free from "stuff" as I can. If there is a way to smack a 6:00 accessory into something... or have it snag... or just make it malf... I am the goofball who will manage to do it.
    In my case, the Communists in NY might declare the hand stop is also a forward grip and find me in violation of the NY AWB.

Tiny brains tend to conflate things this way.
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights | EDC Light Builder P-F Sub-forum

In my case, the Communists in NY might declare the hand stop is also a forward grip and find me in violation of the NY AWB.
    "You ain't gonna need no third thing that can be declared is a forward grip, 'cause you gonna get your mind right."

Name:  StrotherMartinCaptainCHL.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  51.7 KB
    gn

Making a few tweaks before the test firing;

• Installing a TandemKross trigger with shims, pins and an extra power return spring. This arrangement uses the stock hammer and sear so the sear engagement surfaces remain the same, but the trigger has an over-travel limit screw and supposedly has a shorter take up. The flat trigger shape will make it an easier reach for my small hands. I'm going to try the extra power return spring for faster reset as the current pull weight comes in around five pounds from the center of the curved trigger (it will be lower from further down on the flat trigger). No doubt the weight will drop with some use.
    Completed the trigger mods - worked out nicely! Less pre-travel, little-to-no over travel, and a quick and audible reset. Pull from the center of the Tandemkross trigger is a consistent 4.5 pounds, from where my finger naturally falls lower on the trigger between 3.5 and 4.0 pounds. The biggest improvement is ease of reach, the flat trigger really helps in this regard.

If the Demons of Daily BS do not conspire against me again today, I plan on hitting the indoor range for sight-in and test firing. :-)
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights | EDC Light Builder P-F Sub-forum

Back from the range and all I can say is this thing is a hoot to shoot - it may well be the most enjoyable gun to shoot I've ever owned!

The indoor range is limited to 60 feet, but my primary goals were to (1) sight in at that distance and (2) check that it functioned properly. I'm pleased to report there were no runs, drips or errors.

At 60 feet on a bag support, groups were one ragged hole using Federal 147 FMJ. Once I dialed-in the Aimpoint, I removed it and used the irons - no adjustment was necessary. The re-mounted Aimpoint maintained zero perfectly, but any kind of useful co-witness is a no-go.

The report using 147 grain standard loads is less than from a pistol-length barrel, and there is zero tooth-rattling concussion associated with rifle rounds in an indoor range. Recoil is very light, so there's no pain in firing off rounds in rapid succession.

The trigger mods described above result in a very nice trigger with a clean break and a tactile reset - I'd say better than the Geissele SSA I had in my AR.

Setting a target at 21 ft, I placed the carbine under my arm with the grip high and tight (armpit hold) and used the well-focused hot spot of the WML as an aiming point. No problem rapid firing and holding a 6 inch group in the center of the target. Here is a photo of how I have the rail set up for this;

Next step is to refine the zero at 50 yards, but for now I know it's good to go for close range goblin use.

I'm still grinning ear to ear. :-)

'Tis a dangerous thread for me. Must... resist...

Given that I have a history of getting guns snagged on this 'n' that, I'd be tempted to take about a quarter of an inch off that Arisaka finger stop and rounding the H out of the end.

Otherwise, I can SO see me doing this despite my two peeves built into the PC9... because ARs aren't as much fun anymore and I don't run a levergun like I used to.
    gn

Knowing what I know now, if I was staying in NH I would have done the PC Charger instead and installed a Franklin Armory binary trigger and have done the NFA thing for a can - just like this;

I should have mentioned in my previous post that 10-round mags are a real kill joy, even with a standard trigger.

While the Ruger PC design is not military grade like the AR, as a blow back it is simple, reasonably robust and easy to detail strip and clean. The icing on the cake is the strong after market support for these guns.

Quote Originally Posted by gato naranja View Post
    'Tis a dangerous thread for me. Must... resist...
    One of our greatest responsibilities on P-F is to be enablers. ;-)

See my post above, if I was staying in NH...

But even the "featureless" PC Carbine brings a lasting shooting-fun smile, and as per my goal with this PC9 project, it can also serve as more than just a range toy.

Knowing what I know now, if I was staying in NH I would have done the PC Charger instead and installed a Franklin Armory binary trigger and have done the NFA thing for a can - just like this;

I should have mentioned in my previous post that 10-round mags are a real kill joy, even with a standard trigger.

While the Ruger PC design is not military grade like the AR, as a blow back it is simple, reasonably robust and easy to detail strip and clean. The icing on the cake is the strong after market support for these guns.
    I really haven’t had the urge for a PC Charger. Until now…😄
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

User Tag List