Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is a good Colt 1903 Reference book?

What is a good Colt Pocket Hammerless 1903 Reference book?

I am starting to become interested in getting a Colt Pocket Hammerless 1903. Is there a good reference book on them?

EDIT: Added clarification
    Last edited by Flamingo; 04-02-2024 at 03:47 PM.

I assume you mean the 1903 Pocket Hammerless?

I have a 1903 Pocket Hammer in .38 ACP, and it is essentially a smaller Colt 1902.

That model is much more rare and harder to find parts/info for. The 1903 Pocket Hammerless is a much easier beast to find info for. Hopefully someone else here is more of an expert on that model than I am.
    Loyal Acolyte of the Cult of the Cheetah

Don’t just sit there – do something short sighted and stupid!

Thanks! I will need to find a copy that isn't 600.00.

Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
    Thanks! I will need to find a copy that isn't 600.00.
    $60 I would maybe consider. $600 not so much.

I haven't seen much in print. Think I might have somewhere a slender photostat type journal thing I found at a gunshow back in the 90's (sitting there at the table with all the repro army manuals and such. Every show has one...). There is a lot of good reference material online though. Anything in particular you're looking to learn or find?
    no one sees what's written on the spine of his own autobiography.

I am starting to become interested in getting a Colt Pocket Hammerless 1903. Is there a good reference book on them?

EDIT: Added clarification

I will make a suggestion if looking on gunbroker. Look under automatic pistols, then colt, then the caliber, 32 auto. I get more results that way than looking for the model. Try every variation on the caliber also, one showed 32 rimfire, which is incorrect, but could be the sort of thing that could slip through the cracks for many people.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Half Moon View Post
    $60 I would maybe consider. $600 not so much.

I haven't seen much in print. Think I might have somewhere a slender photostat type journal thing I found at a gunshow back in the 90's (sitting there at the table with all the repro army manuals and such. Every show has one...). There is a lot of good reference material online though. Anything in particular you're looking to learn or find?
    I want to be able to distinguish between the different types. I THINK I want Type IV or Type V. I do know that I want a shooter grade vs a collector grade gun.

I want to be able to distinguish between the different types. I THINK I want Type IV or Type V. I do know that I want a shooter grade vs a collector grade gun.

Im not familiar with the variations other than the earliest vs later. Ive had 2 in the distant past and regret trading them off.

Theres some info about variations by type here http://www.coltautos.com/ModelMci.htm

The Colt forum is also a good place to look or ask questions. Id like to get another one day, perhaps ignorance of the differences is bliss, I just look for decent mechanical shape and not too terribly bad finish, and reasonable price when I look on gunbroker.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Here's an article with a decent summary of the types:

https://www.unblinkingeye.com/Guns/1903C/1903c.html

My personal preference is for the Type III without the magazine disconnect. As a practical matter Type III forward has better parts availability including new barrels being made and available.
    no one sees what's written on the spine of his own autobiography.

Site Supporter
    However you plan to use your 1903 when you get one, be aware that none of the originals are drop-safe. The more recent version made by US Armament Corp supposedly is.

User Tag List