Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A USPSA/IDPA Gear Question...

I go with what I have, equipment that works for both games. One does need more mags, pouches and ammo for USPSA..

I ran the same gear for a while. These days I'm shooting a lot more USPSA than IDPA, so I decided to go full gamer and got a DAA belt and RT DOH. I haven't shot a match yet, but the DOH has make it easier to get a consistent grip in dry fire. It'll probably affect my draw a bit in IDPA, but that's a trade I'm willing to make to improve a bit in USPSA.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by gtmtnbiker98 View Post
    I use the same equipment in both IDPA ESP/SSP and USPSA Production. Comp-Tac belt holster and two mag holders for IDPA and the same Comp-Tac belt holster and a Comp-Tac 'Belt Fed' for USPSA. Both games, P30 or P30L.
    This is what I do too but just with a P30. I consider IDPA my main game, but I still show up to USPSA matches three or four times a year to put in some classifiers. The comp-tac gear is excellent. I see no reason to compete in USPSA. I use it for a little fun, a little run and gun.

No.

For USPSA I use 4 Ghost 360 mag pouches, and a Comp-tac dropped and off-set holster (I use the same gear except with no mag pouches for Steel Challenge, and NRA Action Pistol).

For IDPA I use a Comp-tac paddle holster in the same position (except without being dropped and off-set), and two Ghost 360 mag pouches.

Granted I shoot with my USPSA/Steel Challenge/NRA Action Pistol gear much much more then my IDPA gear. As I only shoot IDPA when I am bored, and have no other matches to shoot that month.

No.

I dont shoot much IDPA , but the stipple on my G34 isnt SSP legal so I run my RTF G17 instead.
    Same holster, bladetech, but its on my normal belt for IDPA and on my CR Speed for USPSA.
    Different mag pouches, I use comp-tac clip on double for IDPA and have CR Speed pouches on my USPSA belt.
    Pittsburgh, PA host for www.aliastraining.com , and www.shivworks.com

www.anti-fragile.net

Did a search to ask this question.

I have been interested in getting into some kind of organized, regular pistol competition. I shoot paper targets about once a month at the range but it's getting boring.

I have a S&W M&P FS9mm with 4 mags, an Apex DCAEK and Apex polymer trigger. I have a set of Trijicon HD sights. My holster is a simple Safariland 5197.

Would I need much else to go try USPSA or IDPA?

Maybe a sturdy belt?

Is my pistol 'ok' to use as is? I read the rule book (USPSA) briefly but wasn't too sure.

Thanks in advance.

V/R

Rich

Obviously a sturdy belt would be good.

Production would be a no go due to the Apex trigger.

So assuming you have a pouch for two or three magazines you are good to go in limited (which means load your magazines to full).

If you want to shoot production, take the polymer trigger out, and pick up an additional magazine while having a pouch for four magazines. If you shoot production you are only allowed 10 round per a magazine (and 11 rounds in your first if you start loaded)

IDPA you be a no go in SSP due to Apex Trigger, but allowed in ESP. Load to ten rounds for either division. Only a double magazine pouch is required.

Try some local Steel Challenge too! Great way to get your feet wet in competition shooting.

Thanks for the advice. Been busy with family / work till now.

I'll look into this some more this fall when it cools down here in Tampa. I've heard about the Wyoming Antelope Club near me offers training but I'm not clear if that is IDPA or what. I'll have to give them a call when my schedule lightens up a bit.

My local indoor range offers "one on one" training at $75 for an hour session, but that seems pricy for what you get.

Or maybe a better option is to devote time to one of the popular shooting schools over a few days.

If you are looking for training particularly for competition shooting I would look at Universal Shooting Academy. They are about 90 minutes from Tampa in Frostproof.

User Tag List