Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Happy Easter

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    I was under the weather. Still am, to a lesser degree. I will try again, on Orthodox Easter, which is on May 5th this year. No, I am not joking.
    Yeah we’re always either one week after, five weeks after, or the same day, with next year being one where we line up again. So this year, we aren’t even half way through Lent when Western Easter arrives.

You’d be more than welcome to visit an Orthodox parish for Pascha, but just don’t show up on Sunday morning because we’ll all be sleeping after the late Saturday into first hours of Sunday service! At least for us Eastern Orthodox - not sure if that’s true for the Oriental churches.

Happy belated Easter to those without a weird calendar to explain to their friends and family. Christ is risen!

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwin View Post
    Yeah we’re always either one week after, five weeks after, or the same day, with next year being one where we line up again. So this year, we aren’t even half way through Lent when Western Easter arrives.

You’d be more than welcome to visit an Orthodox parish for Pascha, but just don’t show up on Sunday morning because we’ll all be sleeping after the late Saturday into first hours of Sunday service! At least for us Eastern Orthodox - not sure if that’s true for the Oriental churches.

Happy belated Easter to those without a weird calendar to explain to their friends and family. Christ is risen!
    Nice to see another Eastern Orthodox on the forum! As I have moved round the country, I have attended several different Orthodox churches (Russian, OCA, Antiochian, Greek, Romanian, and Serbian). The Pascha services vary in terms of attendance. My Russian community did the midnight mass big time with a feast in the morning, as did the Greek church I attended for a couple years. The Serbs (of which I have been attending the past 10 years or so) mostly go to the morning services.

Either way, as you know - Pascha is done BIG in the Orthodox tradition!

And yes, we welcome all fellow Christians to attend - it’s like a time machine!*

*I was teaching my boys about the coronation of Charlemagne and showed them a painting of it, it was remarkable how much it resembled a Russian Orthodox service.

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    Nice to see another Eastern Orthodox on the forum! As I have moved round the country, I have attended several different Orthodox churches (Russian, OCA, Antiochian, Greek, Romanian, and Serbian). The Pascha services vary in terms of attendance. My Russian community did the midnight mass big time with a feast in the morning, as did the Greek church I attended for a couple years. The Serbs (of which I have been attending the past 10 years or so) mostly go to the morning services.
    Likewise! I hope you and yours are having a blessed Lent so far.

I guess I should have assumed there may be some variation. I’m only familiar with the midnight liturgy practice (at my own Antiochian parish and in what I see described elsewhere). Midnight liturgy, lots of food after, go home and sleep until vespers around noon on Sunday, then more food.

I look forward to Holy Week and Pascha every year (actually take the whole week off, as well as the following Monday for recovery), but with the rapidly growing number of visitors to our parish worry that someone will show up Sunday morning and be like, “what’s with these Christians who don’t go to church on their Easter?” I’m sure it’s happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwin View Post

Thanks for the advice! I have long been tempted to try visiting a Coptic service, not necessarily on Easter, or whatever they call it, because one is within walking distance.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

User Tag List