Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The other 9mms...the .35s.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I didn't take it any way but conversational. Jeff Cooper said a .30-06 is a one rifle solution for all of North America. Add in a pre 64 .375 H&H, and you have a whole world solution.
    GJM:

Agreed. As a fan of the 30-06 I do think it covers pretty much every need in the U.S. That said, I have always been enamored with the idea of a 35 Whelen. The "responsible adult" in me looks at the ballistics of the 30-06, combined with the arguments outlined by Col. Cooper and says, just stick with the '06. That said, this is still a free country (at least for a little while) I have always wanted a 35 Whelen. I may have to go the route the UNM1136 describes and find a decent but shot out Winchester Model 70 in 30-06 and get it rebored.

Bruce
    Bruce Cartwright
    Owner & chief instructor-SAC Tactical
    E-mail: "info@saconsco.com"

A really neat thing about .338-06, and I believe also with .35 Whelen, is you can get five down rounds in a model 70 action. I always found it comforting to have that capacity when hunting around grizzly bears.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I harvested this bull at 300 yards with a .338-06 model 70 and one Nosler Partition cartridge.

Name:  IMG_2605.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  102.5 KB

Name:  IMG_2604.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  101.7 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

The 35s are rooted deep in my family history. My grandfather loved them and used the 35 Remington as young man for a lot of year before giving that Marlin to my Grandmother. My mother killer her only deer with that same rifle.
    He moved on to the 35 Whelen and had custom Mausers built for him, all the son in laws and us grandsons. I received mine on my 12th birthday and it's still my most prized possession.

Grandpa's last rifle built was a 358 Norma and he used that till cancer took him.
    Growing up I got to see every game animal in North Idaho taken with the 35s and they work well. I try not to get cought up in the caliber debates because putting the bullet where it needs to go is the most important part. That along with premium bullets now can really make the smaller calibers very viable. I've killed more big game with a 308 and 5.56 than anything else, but my favorite is still the 35 Whelen. My longest kill was with one at 550 yards on a coyote. I didn't understand high B.C. Bullets for shooting longer distance as a teen , but I had a range off my front porch that measured 564 yards and I learned my hold with that 1-4 Leupold.

I'll never say it's the best, but it flat works and it's a classic.
    It is rarely a wrong answer in the hunting field 😉

The picture below is a buck I shot at 300 yard with mine.
    Name:  1123130824.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  104.5 KB
    Last edited by Colt191145lover; 03-31-2024 at 04:34 PM.

Site Supporter
    Since we are almost in shit in one hand and wish in the other territory.

A coworker sold a Browning BLR mag fed 30-06 to another coworker. I handled the gun, and...

The trigger was fantastic. Mag fed. 30-06 lever gun.

Ream it out to .35 Whelen AI....

pat

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    Since we are almost in shit in one hand and wish in the other territory.

A coworker sold a Browning BLR mag fed 30-06 to another coworker. I handled the gun, and...

The trigger was fantastic. Mag fed. 30-06 lever gun.

Ream it out to .35 Whelen AI....

pat
    They did, maybe still do, make the BLR in 358 Winchester. The brush gun to get on 35 Whelan is a Remington 7600 pump, I used to have one and wish I had kept it.

I am told that modern powders and bullets make the .35 Whelen very viable.
    The 35 Whelen was very viable for nearly a century with conventional powders and bullets. Traditional data tops out ~2,400 fps with a 250-grain bullet. That's plenty of punch and reach for the biggest North American game, which is the reason the 35 Whelen exists.

The latest Speer data (https://www.speer.com/reloading/rifle-data.html) has it running with the 338 WM in a modern action. And that’s a good way to think of it: the ballistics of 338 WM factory ammo in a 30-06 case.

Modern powders speed up the Whelen with traditional bullet weights, and Speer data pushes 250-grain bullets to 2,700 fps. Trajectory is a bit flatter but recoil is much heavier, especially in an 8-pound rifle, so you have to ask yourself what more speed gets you on the game for which the 35 Whelen is intended.

220-grain bullets beat 2,800 fps, but recoil is about the same. The 225 Sierra Game King shot well in my Remington 700 Classic at 2,700 fps, but recoil was still fast and sharp even though I left over 100 fps on the table and cut bullet weight by 10%.

As with the 338 WM, modern bullets are the real game changer in the Whelen. 200 grains is probably the sweet spot. The BC isn’t fashionable, but I wouldn’t pick a 35 Whelen if a lot of long-range shooting was in the cards. I'd use cup-and-core designs around 2,700 fps for deer and hogs, and Barnes TTSXs for heavier game. This leaves ~200 fps on the table, but it's a meaningful increase in frontal area and enough BC for anything but very long shots in windy country.

A light 35 Whelen has the same drawbacks as a light 338 WM. My 700 weighed eight pounds with a 4x Leupold. It was at least a pound too light. A Nightforce 3-10x42 SHV in steel rings slowed it down enough that I could make some good long-range groups, but I was still at the limit of my ability to shoot it well. At that point, the rifle weighed well over nine pounds and it took longer to get good hits on the close, fast targets where the Whelen excels, so that wasn't really an answer.

Ruger made several 35 Whelen variants of the Model 77. I owned an early one in the boat-paddle stock for a while. It was even lighter than the Remington, the recoil pad was hard and very narrow, and the stock was a bit too long for me with no way to shorten it. It was accurate but I sold it.

For a custom rifle, I’d start with a commercial large-ring 98 Mauser. Yes, it has the lock time of a doorknob, but the 35 Whelen isn’t a sniping cartridge. I’d ask the smith to make it slightly muzzle heavy with a 22” barrel and a finished weight around nine pounds scoped. I probably wouldn’t use bullets heavier than 225 grains. There’s a lot of online bitching about the 1:16 twist in Remington and Ruger factory rifles, but both of mine were accurate. That said, I might go 1:14 on a custom to help preserve resale value. I’d also request a stock built to handle recoil, and I’d want a modern recoil pad.

Unlike the 338 WM, the Whelen is great with reduced loads, typically 158-grain pistol bullets over a shotgun powder like Unique or 2400. I settled ~15 grains of Unique with Hornady XTP flat points. Velocity was ~1,500 fps, recoil and blast were extremely light, and accuracy was superb. POI was dead on at ~50 yards using my big-game zero but dropped 15-18" at 100. Small game is the traditional use for 35 Whelen loads, but those are full-house 357 Magnum revolver ballistics so I’d have no qualms using them on deer or hogs within the limits of the load’s trajectory.

All told, my inclination is to fun the 35 Whelen about halfway between the traditional limits and the modern potential, then keep it within ~250 yards on big game. Other shooters may be able to push it farther, but I can't.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    A really neat thing about .338-06, and I believe also with .35 Whelen, is you can get five down rounds in a model 70 action.
    True in my experience. A rifle that will hold five 30-06 cartridges will hold five 35 Whelen cartridges. The Ruger M-77 and the Remington 700 hold four each, and an unaltered M-17 Remington holds six.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    The 35 Whelen was very viable for nearly a century with conventional powders and bullets. Traditional data tops out ~2,400 fps with a 250-grain bullet. That's plenty of punch and reach for the biggest North American game, which is the reason the 35 Whelen exists.

The latest Speer data (https://www.speer.com/reloading/rifle-data.html) has it running with the 338 WM in a modern action. And that’s a good way to think of it: the ballistics of 338 WM factory ammo in a 30-06 case.

Modern powders speed up the Whelen with traditional bullet weights, and Speer data pushes 250-grain bullets to 2,700 fps. Trajectory is a bit flatter but recoil is much heavier, especially in an 8-pound rifle, so you have to ask yourself what more speed gets you on the game for which the 35 Whelen is intended.

220-grain bullets beat 2,800 fps, but recoil is about the same. The 225 Sierra Game King shot well in my Remington 700 Classic at 2,700 fps, but recoil was still fast and sharp even though I left over 100 fps on the table and cut bullet weight by 10%.

As with the 338 WM, modern bullets are the real game changer in the Whelen. 200 grains is probably the sweet spot. The BC isn’t fashionable, but I wouldn’t pick a 35 Whelen if a lot of long-range shooting was in the cards. I'd use cup-and-core designs around 2,700 fps for deer and hogs, and Barnes TTSXs for heavier game. This leaves ~200 fps on the table, but it's a meaningful increase in frontal area and enough BC for anything but very long shots in windy country.

A light 35 Whelen has the same drawbacks as a light 338 WM. My 700 weighed eight pounds with a 4x Leupold. It was at least a pound too light. A Nightforce 3-10x42 SHV in steel rings slowed it down enough that I could make some good long-range groups, but I was still at the limit of my ability to shoot it well. At that point, the rifle weighed well over nine pounds and it took longer to get good hits on the close, fast targets where the Whelen excels, so that wasn't really an answer.

Ruger made several 35 Whelen variants of the Model 77. I owned an early one in the boat-paddle stock for a while. It was even lighter than the Remington, the recoil pad was hard and very narrow, and the stock was a bit too long for me with no way to shorten it. It was accurate but I sold it.

For a custom rifle, I’d start with a commercial large-ring 98 Mauser. Yes, it has the lock time of a doorknob, but the 35 Whelen isn’t a sniping cartridge. I’d ask the smith to make it slightly muzzle heavy with a 22” barrel and a finished weight around nine pounds scoped. I probably wouldn’t use bullets heavier than 225 grains. There’s a lot of online bitching about the 1:16 twist in Remington and Ruger factory rifles, but both of mine were accurate. That said, I might go 1:14 on a custom to help preserve resale value. I’d also request a stock built to handle recoil, and I’d want a modern recoil pad.

Unlike the 338 WM, the Whelen is great with reduced loads, typically 158-grain pistol bullets over a shotgun powder like Unique or 2400. I settled ~15 grains of Unique with Hornady XTP flat points. Velocity was ~1,500 fps, recoil and blast were extremely light, and accuracy was superb. POI was dead on at ~50 yards using my big-game zero but dropped 15-18" at 100. Small game is the traditional use for 35 Whelen loads, but those are full-house 357 Magnum revolver ballistics so I’d have no qualms using them on deer or hogs within the limits of the load’s trajectory.

All told, my inclination is to fun the 35 Whelen about halfway between the traditional limits and the modern potential, then keep it within ~250 yards on big game. Other shooters may be able to push it farther, but I can't.

True in my experience. A rifle that will hold five 30-06 cartridges will hold five 35 Whelen cartridges. The Ruger M-77 and the Remington 700 hold four each, and an unaltered M-17 Remington holds six.

Okie John
    Thank you, Brother.

pat

Thank you, Brother.

pat
    Happy to help. LMK if you have questions.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

The Hornady Superformance 200 gr is running 2976fps out of my 22 inch barrel, and I really don't like the recoil. It shoots good and is the same bullet we always loaded in it.

In a perfect world if take a Nosler Accubond 225gr at 2700fps and live happily ever after.
    My personal gun was built on a short Mexican Mauser 98 action and unfortunately that bullet is to long for the magazine.

I have a Interarms MK X diner rifle sitting here for another 35 Whelen project one day, unless I find a stainless Winchester model 70 classic first.

User Tag List