Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Civilian Patrols

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    That is probably the truth. And hopefully, there is someone willing to run against such a clown.
    I'm surprised these citizen patrols haven't happened in Seattle. If they did I haven't heard about it. The Po Po don't even respond to many calls in Seattle anymore.

More than 700 police officers left the Seattle Police Department in the past five years. The department is now at its lowest staffing level in 30 years.
    But I don't live in that shit hole anymore, don't even go there, so it's none of my bidness.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    I'm surprised these citizen patrols haven't happened in Seattle. If they did I haven't heard about it. The Po Po don't even respond to many calls in Seattle anymore.

But I don't live in that shit hole anymore, don't even go there, so it's none of my bidness.
    I was in Seattle at the end of February. U-district. Probably not going to do that again.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    I was in Seattle at the end of February. U-district. Probably not going to do that again.
    U-district and Ravenna was one of my favorite places in the 70's. We lived in the Shoreline area and I loved the restaurants in the U district. We have some friends that live in Fremont now but we just won't go there these days. We missed their wedding because of that. It's like a foreign country. I don't carry very often where I live now but I would, and did, in Seattle. I got a permit in about 35 years ago because I went to Seattle every week.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

U-district and Ravenna was one of my favorite places in the 70's. We lived in the Shoreline area and I loved the restaurants in the U district. We have some friends that live in Fremont now but we just won't go there these days. We missed their wedding because of that. It's like a foreign country. I don't carry very often where I live now but I would, and did, in Seattle. I got a permit in about 35 years ago because I went to Seattle every week.
    You wouldn’t recognize it. Lots of junkies, lots of human poop on the sidewalk, lots of gang violence. All my colleagues at the UW told me not to be out after dark—that’s just accepted now as a standard. Messed up.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

I'm surprised these citizen patrols haven't happened in Seattle.
    Seattle and Portland are both ripe for this kind of thing, but the rot in both City Halls is still so deep that a citizen patrol would probably be arrested and charged with hate crimes before they were able to confront any bad guys.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    There is a group doing them in Hartford, CT. Another article updated that.

The article quotes some damn law professor

I thought some damn law professor was pointing out the legal peril to those who participate in armed citizen patrols. Hopefully they are getting donations for a legal defense fund in the event that one of them shoots someone, because based on CT's gun friendly attitude they'll probably need it.

Both the SO and the largest PD here have civilian patrols. The first type are paid civilian accident investigators. They do investigations and reports on minor traffic accidents. The other groups "patrol" certain neighborhoods, usually HOAs and gated communities with low crime rates. These COPS (community observation patrols) get an old cruiser and a radio, but mostly they're looking for people who left their trash cans out past the appointed time. Most people in the COPS program are 70 or older. Neither group is armed.
    Last edited by Hambo; 04-01-2024 at 04:56 AM.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

This is a bit of a tangent, but then, this is the PF... I've always thought that one of the reasons that the 1950's was kind of a heyday for American society was, we had all the veterans from WWII walking the streets - and they were not going to put up with any shitty behavior out of anyone.

I have also thought for a long time that, one of the failings of modern America (say in the last 20 years) is that individuals have become too specialized. Need a battery for the car? Call a mechanic. Need a dishwasher installed? Call a plumber. Americans have largely farmed out their personal protection to LE. Not calling for vigilantes here, but if folks assumed a little more responsibility for what goes on around them, we might not be in such a place. That, and calling bullshit when we see it... (and boy is there a lot of bullshit floating around these days).

Okay, back to yelling at the clouds.... Carry on...
    All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
    No one is coming. It is up to us.

Quote Originally Posted by DDTSGM View Post
    I would hope that they have received legal training from a competent source and their shooting drills focus on the aspects of the Connecticut laws regarding duty to retreat and defending others.

Were I to start such a force there would be a long paper trail of training and testing.

I hate how this sounds, but I am reassured that the founders and 'pushers' of this effort are black men.

Perhaps in light of the fact that they are in large groups, picking up trash, installing security cameras and such things, the fact that they are armed is a secondary issue.

In view of the fact that nothing like vigilantism has been reported, it seems a shame that today when a neighborhood group joins together to ensure the safety of those in the neighborhood they are discouraged by the 'authorities.'

Kind of goes against 'the people are the police and the police are the people' principle.
    I agree. Obviously the police have an impossible task w/ their depleted force, so why not? I bet the prof doesn't live anywhere near the problem spots so he is just spouting the usual lib bs that comes out of universities. Well bub, your bs theory isn't working. BTW it isn't working in any other lib cities either. And hoping (for less crime and for more cops) is NOT a plan. So far it seems that the civilian patrol plan IS working so keep it up. If problems come about, work to solve them, rather than giving up and accepting a shi11y way of life as normal.

Meanwhile in New Haven. A regular occurrence and likely to get ROR.

On March 30th around 5:15pm, an officer on patrol was alerted by a citizen who reported a silver Audi traveling at a high rate of speed through several intersections and was completely disregarding several stop signs.
    The Officer observed the Audi, and attempted to conduct a motor vehicle stop on Elm Street after observing numerous motor vehicle violations.
    The Audi failed to pull over, and sped away from the Officer in an attempt to elude police towards New Haven. A second Officer was preemptively positioned nearby and deployed "stop sticks" which were successful in flattening two tires as the Audi entered New Haven.
    After a brief pursuit, the Audi struck a curb and became disabled on Sherman Parkway and Legion Avenue in New Haven.
    Once disabled, Officers observed two individuals running away from the vehicle on foot.
    After a foot pursuit, both individuals who ran from the Audi were apprehended by West Haven Patrol Officers with the assistance from the Departments Street Crime Unit.
    A subsequent search of the Audi revealed a stolen Glock 19 handgun with a high capacity magazine that was beyond the legally allowed limit. The Glock was illegally altered to have a switch, making the Glock handgun fire as fully automatic. Also located was 240 bags of fentanyl/heroin.
    The driver was identified as Tyquan M. Ford DOB 11/16/2002
    of New Haven.
    Ford was found to have an active protective order prohibiting from possessing firearms. He was processed and charged with the following:
    - Illegal Possession of an Assault Weapon,
    - Illegal Possession of a High Capacity Magazine,
    - Possession of a Stolen Firearm,
    - Criminal Possession of a Firearm,
    - Violation of a Protective Order,
    - Possession With Intent to Sell Narcotics,
    - Conspiracy to Commit Possession WITS,
    - Reckless Driving,
    - Engaging Police in Pursuit,
    - Reckless Endangerment 1st,
    - Interfering With an Officer

Quote Originally Posted by Tensaw View Post
    This is a bit of a tangent, but then, this is the PF... I've always thought that one of the reasons that the 1950's was kind of a heyday for American society was, we had all the veterans from WWII walking the streets - and they were not going to put up with any shitty behavior out of anyone.

I have also thought for a long time that, one of the failings of modern America (say in the last 20 years) is that individuals have become too specialized. Need a battery for the car? Call a mechanic. Need a dishwasher installed? Call a plumber. Americans have largely farmed out their personal protection to LE. Not calling for vigilantes here, but if folks assumed a little more responsibility for what goes on around them, we might not be in such a place. That, and calling bullshit when we see it... (and boy is there a lot of bullshit floating around these days).

Okay, back to yelling at the clouds.... Carry on...
    Nice tangent. I’d take your line of reasoning a little further. A lot of Americans have outsourced their desire for safety and security to the government. As things get less civil, a segment of society is calling for more rules, laws and government. More government is not the solution to the problem.
    "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master"

User Tag List