Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Civilian Patrols

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    They should make a movie out of that and show it every Christmas.
    👍👍👍
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

I would proffer a citizen's patrol would be impactful regardless. If they made good connections with the local police they could do a lot of good, without being 'vigilantes.'

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I've long heard about this over specialization concern but I don't see it. It may be an educated class or urban phenomenon, but it's certainly not dominate in the circles I run in.
    I am tempted to say you might be right... In my (very small circle) we all turn our own wrenches and hammer our own nails. But I suspect in the U.S. population at large, this specialization/farming out of things is real.

My grandfather built his own house. I don't mean he subbed everything out, I mean he and my uncle cut wood and pounded nails till there was a house. Legend has it that he did everything but install the windows. He did all this after his day job at the shipyard. Hella smart guy. And for fun, he restored and sold VW Beetles (in the early 70's). Granted he was the exception even back in the early 60's when he built the house. By contrast, I had a 30-something guy tell me one time that he could not install his own dishwasher cause, you know, that involved electric and plumbing and he did not want to mix the two... (why don't we have a facepalm emoji?!?). In the age of the internet and YouTube, there is no good excuse for a fellow not to handle at least some of the household tasks - and I know some do. But there are a lot of folks going in the other direction. I think this is one reason why gun control is a thing. I mean, if you are afraid to try installing a dishwasher, you probably aren't going to be squaring off with thugs...
    All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
    No one is coming. It is up to us.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    Meanwhile in New Haven. A regular occurrence and likely to get ROR.

On March 30th around 5:15pm, an officer on patrol was alerted by a citizen who reported a silver Audi traveling at a high rate of speed through several intersections and was completely disregarding several stop signs.
    The Officer observed the Audi, and attempted to conduct a motor vehicle stop on Elm Street after observing numerous motor vehicle violations.
    The Audi failed to pull over, and sped away from the Officer in an attempt to elude police towards New Haven. A second Officer was preemptively positioned nearby and deployed "stop sticks" which were successful in flattening two tires as the Audi entered New Haven.
    After a brief pursuit, the Audi struck a curb and became disabled on Sherman Parkway and Legion Avenue in New Haven.
    Once disabled, Officers observed two individuals running away from the vehicle on foot.
    After a foot pursuit, both individuals who ran from the Audi were apprehended by West Haven Patrol Officers with the assistance from the Departments Street Crime Unit.
    A subsequent search of the Audi revealed a stolen Glock 19 handgun with a high capacity magazine that was beyond the legally allowed limit. The Glock was illegally altered to have a switch, making the Glock handgun fire as fully automatic. Also located was 240 bags of fentanyl/heroin.
    The driver was identified as Tyquan M. Ford DOB 11/16/2002
    of New Haven.
    Ford was found to have an active protective order prohibiting from possessing firearms. He was processed and charged with the following:
    - Illegal Possession of an Assault Weapon,
    - Illegal Possession of a High Capacity Magazine,
    - Possession of a Stolen Firearm,
    - Criminal Possession of a Firearm,
    - Violation of a Protective Order,
    - Possession With Intent to Sell Narcotics,
    - Conspiracy to Commit Possession WITS,
    - Reckless Driving,
    - Engaging Police in Pursuit,
    - Reckless Endangerment 1st,
    - Interfering With an Officer
    I thought you were probably going to report that he was released on his on recognizance. I wonder if the ATF in the area has been contacted and if so, are they going to take the case because of the auto conversion.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Quote Originally Posted by Tensaw View Post
    I am tempted to say you might be right... In my (very small circle) we all turn our own wrenches and hammer our own nails. But I suspect in the U.S. population at large, this specialization/farming out of things is real.

My grandfather built his own house. I don't mean he subbed everything out, I mean he and my uncle cut wood and pounded nails till there was a house. Legend has it that he did everything but install the windows. He did all this after his day job at the shipyard. Hella smart guy. And for fun, he restored and sold VW Beetles (in the early 70's). Granted he was the exception even back in the early 60's when he built the house. By contrast, I had a 30-something guy tell me one time that he could not install his own dishwasher cause, you know, that involved electric and plumbing and he did not want to mix the two... (why don't we have a facepalm emoji?!?). In the age of the internet and YouTube, there is no good excuse for a fellow not to handle at least some of the household tasks - and I know some do. But there are a lot of folks going in the other direction. I think this is one reason why gun control is a thing. I mean, if you are afraid to try installing a dishwasher, you probably aren't going to be squaring off with thugs...
    I've built several large structures - two story garage behind our house and several other stand alone buildings. I didn't know shit about building, bought engineered plans for the garage on-line, read a book on framing, when it came time to wire it I read a readers digest book and had a good old time.

Why was I not scared to do this? Because as a kid I had made crude 2x4 go karts, skateboards using old skates, and learned to fix my own bike because it was going to be fixed the next weekend if I waited for dad to do it.

My parents had a slightly higher tolerance for 'hope he doesn't kill himself' than I had when I was raising my own boys because I kept a tighter reign on them.

Kids don't grow up that way anymore.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

I mean, if you are afraid to try installing a dishwasher, you probably aren't going to be squaring off with thugs...
    Sig line material
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    Sig line material
    Having squared off with numerous dishwashers, the thugs might be a step up.😁 I've come close to putting a few rounds into non- cooperative delta whiskeys.

Site Supporter
    I think it's more to do with products these days than kids these days.

When I was in college, I replaced the clutch on my Sentra in the street in front of Mom's house. Why? because the alternative was walking. That said, I've owned Nissans ever since, and the last thing I can remember needing, other than tires, brakes, and routine maintenance was the AC going out on my 88 Pathfinder, and I replaced it at ~160k because I couldn't see putting about $500, in early 00s money, into the thing. vehicles, for the most part ( Having read someone's Duramax experiences on here recently) are just way more reliable. They aren't growing up wrenching on their beaters because they don't have to.

And then you get into the things that you just can't repair, or it doesn't make financial sense to repair. Nobody is growing up 'wrenching' on their phone or Ipad. Software hacking, sure, but not hardware. I used to build and upgrade my own computers, but for what I do now I'm using a chromebook for most of it.

I could go on about people who seem incapable of fixing even the simplest things, but that's too long for a thread drift.
    'Nobody ever called the fire department because they did something intelligent'

Quote Originally Posted by DDTSGM View Post
    I thought you were probably going to report that he was released on his on recognizance.
    I think that was at least the speculation:
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    likely to get ROR.

My grandfather built his own house. I don't mean he subbed everything out, I mean he and my uncle cut wood and pounded nails till there was a house.
    Quote Originally Posted by DDTSGM View Post
    Why was I not scared to do this? Because as a kid I had made crude 2x4 go karts, skateboards using old skates, and learned to fix my own bike because it was going to be fixed the next weekend if I waited for dad to do it.
    I think two things are contributors: a high divorce rate resulting in many absentee fathers, and an overemphasis on excelling in amateur sports.
    In my case I sucked at the sports, and my parents didn't want me to have a minibike. They stopped short of forbidding it, but I had to learn to make things run myself, and much of that corelates to other things, like dishwashers.

I mean, if you are afraid to try installing a dishwasher, you probably aren't going to be squaring off with thugs...
    Notice to thugs: We just bought all new appliances, and the dishwasher was the easy part. But I had to revise the plumbing for the fridge, move the cabinet and outlet for the microwave/convection/air-fryer, and alter the counter from a drop-in range to slide-in and rewire to share the circuit with the welder.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Condoleeza Rice mentioned that as a girl, she practiced her piano lessons while her father was with other men, patrolling their neighborhood with shotguns to keep the Klan out.
    A moving, poignant image. Adult men of this generation working together to keep their families safe while the next generation studies to improve the world.

Thank you, Stephanie.

Duces
    A peaceful man is capable of great violence, but he keeps it under control. If a man is not capable of violence, he is not peaceful. He is just harmless. (Jordan Peterson)

User Tag List