Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Trapdoor Springfield vs Sharps & other singleshots durability/toughness?

Diluted Windex with vinegar was the Mike Venturino solution.
    I used that for a while, then the store quit carrying it and I settled on diluted M-pro 7. I think the various mixes have a detergent effect to get the water into the fouling. I put up with the stench of Ballistol but won't replace it when used up.

Hot water? Ain't no kettle on muh farin range. A bottle of dilute M-pro 7, a bottle of oil, rod, brush, and patches let me clean on the range while the barrel is still warm and the fouling soft. I generally re-clean at home but not in a rush.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

For those curious about the Werndl, capandball on YouTube has a lot of videos on both its history & shooting it.
    If his Hungarian accent is too distracting for you, C&Rsenal has this nice brief overview:
    https://youtu.be/rRUW5eUZ5cM?si=UYveFw7SkoUTcPyA

The Trapdoor, the Werndl, the Snider, and several other breechloaders were designed to convert the vast stocks of muzzleloaders held by armies who had, not all that long ago, upgraded from muskets to rifles.
    We only did 25,000 Second Allin Conversions on Civil War rifle muskets; hundreds of thousands of later versions were scratch built except it took a while to use up all the lock plates on hand. But it still made use of a lot of CW tooling setups and worker skills.

The fictional Civil Government Arsenal rifle in David Drake's Bellevue stories was made for rapid fire, probably at the expense of fine accuracy... trigger overtravel opened the breechblock and ejected the empty. One less move than the Werder Lightning.

I think when 'Island in the Sea of Time' Nantucket upgraded from crossbows, pikes, and swords ("Give 'em the Ginsu") to rifles, they went with the Werder Lightning type.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

User Tag List